Review of Anti-Black Prejudice In America

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Muhammad Haikal Birton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muhammad-haikal-birton.html
Latest Review: Anti-Black Prejudice In America by Anders Eklof

Review of Anti-Black Prejudice In America

Post by Muhammad Haikal Birton »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Anti-Black Prejudice In America" by Anders Eklof.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Hold on tight because Anders Eklof's "Anti-Black Prejudice in America" is a gripping and thought-provoking exploration of America's complex past. This meticulously researched work illuminates the intricacies of historical attitudes toward race, morality, and societal change. Eklof's empathetic storytelling navigates through the intricate web of societal norms, racial dynamics, and historical attitudes that have shaped America's past and continue to influence its present.

Eklof's work is a thought-provoking and unapologetic examination of the deep-rooted biases that have plagued our nation for centuries, from the brutal era of slavery to the civil rights movement. His exploration of sexual repression and its intersection with racial prejudice is particularly striking, highlighting the complex and often insidious nature of prejudice.

The book provides a detailed and comprehensive account of slavery in North America, delving into the oppression, anti-black riots, and lynchings that occurred during the Jim Crow era. However, the most substantial portion of the book focuses on the tumultuous period from 1954 to 1975, when the civil rights movement gained momentum, advocating for the rights of blacks, women, LGBT individuals, and Native Americans. The book also explores the effects of the Vietnam War during this era, which played a significant role in shaping public opinion.

As a reader, I did not find any negative reviews or criticisms of "Anti-Black Prejudice in America" by Anders Eklof in my search. The book is generally praised for its detailed information about black history in America, its engaging storytelling style, and its historical accuracy. I appreciate the book's organization and the vivid descriptions, which help me visualize the events described. The book's inclusion of photographs is also commended for enhancing the reading experience.

As I closed the book, I felt a mix of anger, sadness, and hope. Anger at the injustices endured by Black Americans, sadness for the lives lost in the fight for equality, and hope that continued awareness and education can lead us toward a more just society.

Overall, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. What sets "Anti-Black Prejudice in America" apart from other historical accounts is its emphasis on the call to action. The book urges readers to confront their biases, challenge the status quo, and actively work towards dismantling prejudice. It's an essential and unyielding contribution to the ongoing dialogue about race, and I highly recommend it to anyone seeking a deeper understanding of America's complex and multifaceted history. So, get ready to dive into the intricacies of America's past, and let Eklof's work inspire you to take action against prejudice.

Anti-Black Prejudice In America
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

I always enjoy books that talk about racism. This will be an interesting book. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Yes we must always aspire to a more just society. Your review shows that this book educates about prejudice and challenges us to recognize and be pro-active in ridding the country of this blight. Systemic racism must be eradicated. I look forward to reading this well-written book. Thank you for your review. Well done! :techie-studyinggray:
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Homecoming Heist by Tyson Collin

Post by Priya Murugesan »

An awesome review! I haven't read books related to racism. Will surely try this.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 67%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

I being other side of the world, I feel enthusiastic to check out other countries history,their progress or how the system worked there. By looking at your comments, it's felt like war happened for justice and equality. To know about people who go through all this sometimes it feels must for every other citizens. Thanks for the review
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: The hyena stare
Bookshelf Size: 80
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 14%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

It is amazing to acknowledge similarities in present problems from different countries. In South Africa we celebrate this year 30 years since our freedom from the apartheid era and I must say the encounters happening that side and here are quite similar. It is important for us as humans to come to an understanding that we are all human first before anything whether societal standard or race. This is an interesting read I must say.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 620%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thanks for your beautiful review. It is an actual theme. It started centuries ago and the effects are still strong today.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

Your review of "Anti-Black Prejudice in America" by Anders Eklof beautifully captures the depth and significance of the book's exploration of America's complex history with race and prejudice. Your description of Eklof's empathetic storytelling and meticulous research highlights the book's ability to provoke thought and evoke strong emotions in readers. The way you articulate the book's call to action, urging readers to confront biases and actively work towards change, underscores its importance in today's society. Overall, your review effectively conveys the book's impact and makes a compelling case for why it's a must-read for anyone seeking a deeper understanding of America's past and present.
Tomi Ahmed
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

It's vital that this history is brought to life so we can understand how people of color have been treated for centuries in the US, including today. I also like that the book mentions LGBT and women's rights as well as the poor treatment of Vietnam vets.
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading: Secrets of the Kashmir Valley
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

Historical books bring to life issues that happened when different people were yet to get along with themselves. I like that it's written for us to understand people's struggles and speak up when we sense the slightest injustice so history doesn't repeat itself. It also helps us appreciate the contributions of various individuals, groups, and states who help create a good system like we enjoy today. The author also shared a call to action, and I agree this sets the book apart. Thank you for such a great review, it is precise and captures the essence of the book.
That I may know Him :arrow: Philippians 3:10
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 112%

Post by RJ Reviews »

This definitely is a touching subject. Your feelings of anger and sadness are well justified. I am glad that it invokes hope in readers too. That's the beauty of a well-written book! I enjoyed reading your insightful review and looking forward to read more from you. Thank you.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”