Review of Sister B

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Born in a Storm by Mark Carew

Review of Sister B

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sister B" by David Charles Hart.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sister B by David Charles Hart is a vivid portrayal of the life and times of Willie Mae Young, set against the backdrop of the Great Depression and the looming shadows of World War II. Hart's narrative traverses the landscapes of Mississippi, Los Angeles, and Japan, exploring themes of race, heritage, and the quest for a better life amidst socio-political upheavals.

The novel opens in December 1936 in Mississippi, introducing us to Willie Mae Young, also known as Sister B, and her tumultuous environment. As the story unfolds, Willie Mae decides to leave Mississippi for Los Angeles, seeking a new start away from the racial tensions and economic hardships of the South. Parallel to Sister B's journey, Hart introduces Akio Hashimoto in Japan, a photographer committed to capturing both the beauty and the ugliness of his country during a period of militaristic expansion and societal change. The narrative skillfully intertwines these two lives, highlighting their struggles, aspirations, and the stark realities they face in their respective corners of the world.

I was genuinely captivated by the author's exploration of racial and cultural identity. Willie Mae Young emerges as an intricately layered character, maneuvering through societies fractured along racial and ethnic lines. Her journey sheds light on the difficulties of securing a sense of belonging in a landscape where racial identities shape social hierarchies and expectations. Meanwhile, Akio Hashimoto finds himself at a crossroads of traditional values and the stark realities of a country on the brink of conflict. His romantic involvement with Misaki introduces an intimate dimension to the story, highlighting the complexities of interracial relationships within a conservative culture.

I was also deeply intrigued by how Sister B weaves significant historical events into its storyline, such as the economic strife and social consequences of the Great Depression, the harsh realities of racial segregation and prejudice in the Jim Crow South, and the escalating tensions leading up to World War II alongside Japan's aggressive military pursuits. However, the portrayal of the Hiroshima bombing left an indelible mark on me. The vivid description of the atomic bomb's detonation over Hiroshima, enhanced by the accompanying photograph of the mushroom cloud, was profoundly moving. Equally striking was the use of several blank pages following the image of the explosion. The author explains that this design choice symbolizes the utter silence that follows such devastation—no sound, no life, an absence of spoken words, music, and song, capturing the essence of obliteration with powerful emotion.

I found nothing to criticize about this book. I consider myself lucky to have stumbled upon such a captivating narrative, marked by its remarkably detailed depiction of that period. However, I must note that this book might not suit everyone; it contains moments, such as descriptions of lynchings and accompanying images, that are deeply rooted in historical reality. While authentic, these elements may be quite intense for some readers.

With all that in mind, this book serves as an excellent pick for fans of historical fiction who are drawn to exploring racial and cultural identity in significant historical contexts. It's perfect for readers who value stories addressing the harsh realities of history, as well as those fascinated by intricate character growth. It's geared towards individuals ready to confront vivid historical portrayals, though caution is advised for those sensitive to profound themes. Anticipate dialogue laced with strong language, along with exploration of themes such as rape, racism, segregation, violence, bombings, murders, and the profound brutality of racially-motivated violence. These elements, reflecting harsh realities, may not be appropriate for all readers.

To sum up, Hart's novel stands as a powerful tribute to the persistence of hope and the unwavering quest for dignity and justice. It not only provides a glimpse into historical events but also engages with themes that remain relevant in the present. The book appears to have been professionally edited, presenting minimal grammatical errors. Therefore, I enthusiastically give it 5 out of 5 stars and sincerely hope you find it as captivating as I did.

Sister B
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

This sounds like a very worthwhile read for fans of historical fiction. I appreciate your attention to detail in your review and your warning of some of the more sensitive content that is included in this story.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 153%

Post by Martina Sette »

Though historical fiction isn't typically my go-to genre, your review has piqued my interest. The exploration of racial identity and the historical backdrop seem compelling, and I definitely want to read it.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Living in the war era and economic great Depression era must be not easy. I always love to read a kind of book that tell us what happen in the past. Reading your review, make me want to read this book. Thanks for writing this review
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Madam Vice President by Julian Mann
fav_author_id: 2379
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 175%

Post by Salah bourouba »

I would like to say that ur review is very powerful, so much depth and thought provoking ideas, well done really
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”