Review of The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Apples Never Fall
Bookshelf Size: 561
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Review of The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Being torn away from her mother, sold to another slave owner by her father, and betrayed by someone she thought was a friend, young Lily has had an extremely challenging life. She has secretly found solace in playing the piano, which she is extraordinary in doing so.

Through the help of the friend she thought once abandoned her, Lily experiences life in a way she never thought possible. Not only does James find her talented, but others who would’ve looked down upon her due to her skin color are also lining up to see the talented prodigy.

Will this new life be the key to a better life? Will the love shared between two childhood friends last and be strong enough to set Lily free? Read this and more in Londyn Skye’s historical fiction romance, The Prodigy Slave.

One of my favorite aspects of this novel was the amount of care and effort the author puts forth in her work. Small details are sprinkled within the plot to reveal how the characters feel and how Lily experiences playing the piano. Due to this, it was easy to see this author took her time to unravel the plot. It also allowed me to appreciate the characters even more so.

I also thought the themes worked well together. Themes of slavery, trust, love, bravery, friendship, and music were all included. Most chapters begin with a “Slave Code” blurb that addresses a law and/or a consequence if the law isn’t abided by in regard to slavery. They were informative and helped to tie in the theme of slavery and bravery.

There is room for improvement here, and this has to do with some plot issues. There were multiple mentions of how attractive James is to the point where it would seem every woman in the room, street, or even audience would stop breathing just because he entered that space. It was tedious to read and didn’t add to the plot. There were also moments of the text that did slow down to the point of my interest petering. These scenes mostly happened when there was much talk about how everyone loved and wanted the best for Lily. Though sweet and endearing, the amount of times it happened slowed the plot. Lastly, the ending, though exciting, seemed out of place. The intent is for readers to be interested in reading the sequel, but I felt lied to and disappointment.

There were lovable and enjoyable characters here. The author is meticulous with her writing and gives her characters life. Since I did not notice any errors, it is clear the book was professionally edited. On the other hand, the plot could use some tightening. Considering everything, I rate The Prodigy Slave 4 out of 5 stars.

Due to some mature scenes of sexual intercourse, the topic of slavery, profanity usage, and even a hint of suicidal thoughts, I would recommend The Prodigy Slave to an older audience. Also, those who enjoy reading historical fiction romance, especially involving slavery, will find joy reading this book.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Blueberry Dragon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blueberry-dragon.html
Latest Review: God is good by Margaret liu collins

Post by Blueberry Dragon »

Thank you, Heidi. That was quite a comprehensive review. I loved that you pointed out what you liked and didn't like too. Will definitely be keeping a lookout for this one at the local bookstore.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”