Review of Hunger of the Pine

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Review of Hunger of the Pine

Post by Priya Murugesan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Hunger of the Pine" by Teal Swan.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

This novel follows the soul-stirring journey of a young woman, Aria Abbot, as she struggles to survive a homeless life. At the tender age of 7, Aria was taken by the state and put in a group home, as her mother was deemed unfit to take care of her. From that point on, she drifted through various foster homes. When the story begins, we see Aria in despair with her current foster family. Due to unavoidable conditions, she is forced to run away. Not having any place to go, she is compelled to live on the streets. She experiences the cruel world of homelessness, in which even acquiring the basic necessities of life becomes a serious predicament. The fact that she is a woman elevates the hurdles she encounters. Her life turns when she meets Taylor, a cheery vagrant who dreams of becoming an actor. Filled with bright hopes of a better future, they board a bus to LA and embark on a long journey with great anticipation. The rest of the story shows how they endure on the streets of LA and how their lives change.

The first thing that attracted me was the book cover. I loved the colors, the font style, and the artwork depicting a young woman. It was very captivating. The title is also an eye-catcher. After reading the blurb, my desire to read this book strengthened. I was pleased that I chose this book to read. It was a roller-coaster journey from start to finish. In her life, Aria meets many characters like Taylor, Luke, Mike, Ciarra, Aston, Omkar, Imani, Robert, Darren, EJ, Wolf, Anthony, and Pedro. Each has an interesting story intricately woven to sprinkle magic in our hearts. All the characters are well-developed, and you can easily empathize with their emotions. 

There are many drug and sexual references in the story. I normally don't like them. But they blended well with the story so that it didn't feel odd to me. The story also deals with mature topics like self-injury and molestation. You can also see a lot of profane words. However, they added a realistic touch to the novel.

I was gently surprised to note Indian culture as part of the story. As an Indian, it was heartwarming to me. The author portrays the feelings of Native Americans through Wolf.

The quote, 'You can learn something from everyone you meet', found in the book, is quite true.

This book stresses how drugs affect one's life and also their family. Even though the book shows the struggle of the homeless, there is a ray of hope and sunshine throughout the book. It was uplifting to read Aria encountering kindness on the streets. When life throws lemons at her, she tries to make lemonade. We can see how life carves her and transforms her into a strong young woman. Her metamorphosis is well shown. The author has shown the brutal world of homeless people, and it was shocking to read. It makes me feel grateful for the life God has given me. We take our lives for granted when we should have been more thankful for all the things we have in our lives. Anything can happen to anyone at any time. We have to be kind to each other and love our lives. I now see the people living on the street differently. The novel made me ponder these values of life.

I loved the author's style of writing. It is simple yet elegant. The book leaves a lasting imprint on our minds and touches us emotionally. The editing is exceptional. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars, as I have no complaints. I recommend this book to mature readers who love emotional books that showcase the reality of human lives. 

Hunger of the Pine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The premise of this book looks interesting, considering the themes it addresses are relevant to the current human issue. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 14 May 2024, 00:26 The premise of this book looks interesting, considering the themes it addresses are relevant to the current human issue. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Thanks for your reply!
Cristiano Bellucci
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Quick N Easy Mexican Recipes by Nana Revello
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 620%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thanks for your wonderful review. It seems an intense book, with personal stories that can be extreme to read. Being homeless must be difficult. I will add to my reading list.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Cristiano Bellucci wrote: 14 May 2024, 05:03 Thanks for your wonderful review. It seems an intense book, with personal stories that can be extreme to read. Being homeless must be difficult. I will add to my reading list.
Thank you for reading my review and replying!
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Shades of My Mother by Nancy Descoteaux Culos

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

The themes that are shown in the book interest me deeply and I am excited to read the book. Thank you for your detailed review!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

_Rhea Jacob wrote: 14 May 2024, 07:50 The themes that are shown in the book interest me deeply and I am excited to read the book. Thank you for your detailed review!
Thanks a lot!
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 108%

Post by RJ Reviews »

This book touched my heart. The struggles of the protagonist highlight a part of our society that we willingly overlook. The character development portrayed in this book is remarkable. I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by Gerry Steen »

I am happy to hear that Native Americans are represented in this story through the thoughts of Wolf. It would be wonderful to meet Aria. There are "Arias" in real life who have lived those experiences and became strong, wise women. We can learn a lot from people who have lived in the streets. They've seen it all. This review has portrayed the book in a good light. I must read this book. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

RJ Reviews wrote: 14 May 2024, 09:26 This book touched my heart. The struggles of the protagonist highlight a part of our society that we willingly overlook. The character development portrayed in this book is remarkable. I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you.
You rightly said how we overlook them. Thanks for your reply!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Gerry Steen wrote: 14 May 2024, 10:52 I am happy to hear that Native Americans are represented in this story through the thoughts of Wolf. It would be wonderful to meet Aria. There are "Arias" in real life who have lived those experiences and became strong, wise women. We can learn a lot from people who have lived in the streets. They've seen it all. This review has portrayed the book in a good light. I must read this book. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
Waiting for your review!
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by Gerry Steen »

Priya Murugesan wrote: 14 May 2024, 11:51
Gerry Steen wrote: 14 May 2024, 10:52 I am happy to hear that Native Americans are represented in this story through the thoughts of Wolf. It would be wonderful to meet Aria. There are "Arias" in real life who have lived those experiences and became strong, wise women. We can learn a lot from people who have lived in the streets. They've seen it all. This review has portrayed the book in a good light. I must read this book. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
Waiting for your review!
I'm working on it. Thank you.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Gerry Steen wrote: 14 May 2024, 13:59
Priya Murugesan wrote: 14 May 2024, 11:51
Waiting for your review!
I'm working on it. Thank you.
Welcome :)
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Obsidian Tomorrow by Chad Wannamaker
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Hi Priya, like you the cover art got my attention. After reading your review I now know that I have to read this book. I'm looking forward to seeing how Aria and Taylor succeed.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 15 May 2024, 04:31 Hi Priya, like you the cover art got my attention. After reading your review I now know that I have to read this book. I'm looking forward to seeing how Aria and Taylor succeed.
Thanks Stephen for reading my review. Eagerly waiting for your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”