Review of The House on Tyner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Review of The House on Tyner

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The House on Tyner" by Matthew O’Connell.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Initially, I thought this book would be a kind of scary horror book. However, it turns out that this book has a complex and interesting taste, much like its author, who often describes food well.

The story begins with the move of Jackson Taylor, a former major league baseball pitcher, to one of the suburban villages to become a chef and start his new life.

His encounter with the mysterious house next to Lake Tahoe becomes the beginning of unexpected events in the story. Initially, he lived there alone with his cat. Then, he begins to realize that he is not alone there. There are ghostly residents of the house who start giving him puzzles to solve, mysteries that will make his life never the same again.

For a thriller film with a touch of horror, I like the way the author slowly leads us through clue after clue, like following breadcrumbs scattered to slowly understand the complexity of this story.

The author is very descriptive in explaining each scene in the story, making us feel what Jackson feels, whether it's the taste of his food, conversations with the people around him, or the atmosphere when he meets the residents of the house.

His encounter with Lara Watson, the librarian, makes the adventure of searching for mysteries inside the house even more intriguing. New characters come and go, from English history experts, the Thompson family, to supernatural figures, making this story even more interesting.

This book is easy to read and has an amazing, flawless, and perfect editing.

I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 because of its interesting plot with unexpected twists. In the end, there's a conspiracy related to dark and bloody British and Irish history, along with the thrilling actions of the main character. I also like the happy ending of the main character's story with a touch of romance.

As for the shortcomings of this book, some characters who should be important lack clear backgrounds. Some details about drinks or food that not everyone can relate to also pose a challenge. Although I personally enjoy these details, they can make the story seem slow for those who don't appreciate them. Overall, this is a great book. I recommend this book for young adults or older readers because there are some scenes that may not be suitable for children. 

The House on Tyner
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Cristiano Bellucci
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 620%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you for your wonderful review. The book seems very good with its thrill and a bit of horror. Great story to read.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

Thank you for sharing such a thorough and insightful review! Your detailed analysis of the book's plot, character development, and descriptive scenes really brings the story to life. I appreciate your balanced perspective, noting both the strengths and minor shortcomings, which adds credibility to your review. It sounds like a compelling read, and your enthusiasm for the unexpected twists and rich descriptions definitely makes me want to pick it up!
Tomi Ahmed
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 67%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

By looking at review, it feels strongly plotted mystery book. blending of mystery and horror with fine storyline is always good pick to the readers. If I ever come across this book, i will pick up.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

I am glad to hear that you really enjoyed this book and appreciate your honesty in your minor criticisms and reasoning why certain readers might not enjoy this book. Keep up the good work!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I have read this book and enjoyed it. Glad that you too loved it. A perfect analysis of the book!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I'm on the fence about this one. I've looked at it a few times. I like ghost themes and feel this might be well done in this book. You've mentioned that it's more for a young adult audience which may be the deal-breaker for me.
Yashi Shukla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yashi-shukla.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 38%

Post by Yashi Shukla »

This review really got me intrigued. I will definitely buy this book as I am very interested in book that have horror with a touch of romance.
Yours truly,
Yashi Shukla
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Your review has captured my interest. I am interested in how a baseball pitcher developed his love for cooking. It seems to me that ghosts always provide a glimpse into the past. It appears that these ghosts may have provided some history about the British and the Irish conflict. This is also interesting to me. The book is well-written with flawless editing. What more could I ask for? Great Review! :techie-studyinggray:
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Born in a Storm by Mark Carew

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Your insightful review of this book is deeply appreciated. Your ability to capture the essence of the story, from its initial perception to its unexpected twists and turns, showcases your keen observation and thoughtful analysis. Great job!
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

I so much love thriller and horror books as it brings lots of suspense to me as I read, can't wait to read this book.
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

It looks like an interesting horror mystery book and I can't wait to read it. Thank you for your wonderful review!
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

This review offers an engaging glimpse into a book that defies initial expectations of being a straightforward horror story. Instead, it reveals a complex, intriguing narrative enriched by the author's descriptive style, which vividly brings scenes and characters to life. The blend of supernatural elements, historical mysteries, and romance, centered around Jackson Taylor's new life as a chef, creates a captivating plot. While some characters lack depth and detailed descriptions of food and drinks might slow the pace for some, the unexpected twists and satisfying conclusion earn the book a solid 5 out of 5 rating. Recommended for young adults and older readers who enjoy a mix of thriller, mystery, and a touch of romance.
Tomi Ahmed
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Symbol by Giovanni Flores

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Honestly, just looking at the book cover indeed makes one think they are going to read a horror movie. I am also surprised its about chefs. I love food and new recipes but am afraid I will get hungry while reading it.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Runan »

From a baseball pitcher to a chef, it is a unique choice. I guess I should prepare myself for goosebumps before I start reading this book. Thanks for sharing the important aspects of the book with us.
Runan

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”