Review of The Last Cigar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ferdinand Mabalane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-mabalane.html
Latest Review: The Last Cigar by Thomas Mello
2024 Reading Goal: 16
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review of The Last Cigar

Post by Ferdinand Mabalane »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Last Cigar" by Thomas Mello.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Last Cigar – Thomas Mello
Rating: 4/5
“The Last Cigar" by Thomas Mello earns a rating of 4 out of 5 stars for its evocative storytelling, and compelling characters, yet with casual themes, as if to hide what happens through each chapter. Set against the backdrop of a small Portuguese island of The Azores and finding its true character in various American towns, each son looked for a place where they could settle and thrive.
Mello's writing style is lyrical yet simple, as he takes the reader through a similar yet unique journey of the Azevedo family, spanning six generations from Portugal through to the United States. The book invokes a strong sense of culture and tradition, which underlie each generational encounter, exertion, and survival to keep the memories of the original Azevedo, who got his inspiration from the Azores Islands in the 1800s.
The plot unfolds at a deliberate and slow pace, allowing for a deep exploration of the family's strong sense of identity and wellbeing with underlying emotions driving its quest for survival on the one hand and redemption on the other. Character development is a strength of this novel, with each generational leader undergoing a profound adaptation to their respective reality, environment, and circumstances.
While the novel's nonlinear narrative may be challenging for some readers, it ultimately adds to the richness and complexity of the storytelling. "The Last Cigar" leaves a lasting impact, reminding readers of the power of belonging, trust, endurance, and ultimate victory in the face of systematic adversity. Through each of the Azevedo brothers’ introspective journeys, the author explores themes of longing, self-assurance, and the search for meaning in a world filled with uncertainty and impermanence.
What sets "The Last Cigar" apart is its nuanced portrayal of the entrenched family tradition and its emphasis on the power of hard work, trust, and survival. Mello's characters are richly drawn and multi-dimensional, each with their hopes, fears, and struggles. From Francisco's enigmatic mentorship in the Azores to the colorful cast of sons, each had a unique experience of the American dream, its truth, and its myths, with the subsequent adaption to the environment by sixth-generation Brian in the 2000s. Mello's masterful storytelling and keen insight into the human psyche, make this a compelling read for anyone seeking a tale of family, tradition, and the enduring power of resoluteness.

The Last Cigar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ferdinand Mabalane
Currently Reading:

Thank you very much Scott for your detailed and positive review of my review.

Being a first timer at this, I am truly humbled by the exposure and lesson. Buoyed by this experience, I plan to make my stay here as enjoyable yet rewarding as possible.
Ferdinand Mabalane
Currently Reading:

Can I please access my review to include all sentences where I picked spelling mistakes thereby improving my score please

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”