Review of The Magician's Secret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
_Rhea Jacob
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Shades of My Mother by Nancy Descoteaux Culos

Review of The Magician's Secret

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Magician’s Secret (Illusions of Power Book 1) by Charles Townsend is a captivating novel that weaves together elements of magic, mystery, adventure, and self-discovery. It is the first book in the Illusions of Power series and can be read as a stand-alone if readers don’t want to read the entire series. The narrative follows the journey of Delvin, a magician’s assistant, whose life takes a tumultuous turn when he finds himself falsely accused of the murder of his employer, the esteemed magician Borlock. Despite being present at the scene, Delvin becomes the prime suspect, while an enigmatic figure lurking in the shadows garners undue trust. Does Delvin actually have magic? Who tried to kill the king? Grab a copy of the book to find out more!

There were several things I liked about the book. The book was fast-paced and immediately drew me in with the suspense and the twists and surprises that took place. I also felt that the side characters were smart, interesting, and well-developed. My personal favorites were Princess Jarla and Grimbolt. Princess Jarla is smart and self-directed, with a fierce personality and deadly combat skills, which was refreshing to read. While Grimbolt is a scary assassin originally sent out to capture Delvin by the King’s orders, I found him to be sharp, resourceful, and reliable, as he ended up helping Delvin and his companions. The author’s detailed and vivid descriptions of scenarios and scenery were wonderful, and I could imagine how the scenes played out. The addition of the maps given at the beginning of the book helped me further understand the directions the characters were traveling to and from.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. I found numerous minor errors within the book; however, they didn’t affect my enjoyment of the book too much.

For the reasons above, I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars, with one star cut because of the numerous minor errors in the book. Overall, I deeply enjoyed reading the book, and I look forward to reading the rest of the series. The book contains some scenes of graphic violence and insinuates sexual content, so caution is advised for readers. I would recommend the book to 18+ adults who love reading about historical fiction, magic, and adventure.

The Magician's Secret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I have just started to read this book. Thanks for your wonderful review!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 108%

Post by RJ Reviews »

There indeed was nothing to dislike about this book. The suspense and thrills never dwindle throughout the narrative. Delvin's adventures carry the book forward at a brisk pace. I enjoyed reading both the book and your review. It was much insightful. Thank you.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
_Rhea Jacob

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Priya Murugesan wrote: 14 May 2024, 08:27 I have just started to read this book. Thanks for your wonderful review!
I am glad that you liked and replied to my review. I hope I was able to give a more or less accurate analysis of the book. I hope you enjoy the book!
_Rhea Jacob

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

RJ Reviews wrote: 14 May 2024, 09:30 There indeed was nothing to dislike about this book. The suspense and thrills never dwindle throughout the narrative. Delvin's adventures carry the book forward at a brisk pace. I enjoyed reading both the book and your review. It was much insightful. Thank you.
Thank you for reading my review and providing feedback! I am glad that we share the same thoughts about the book.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition) by Dr. Colleen Huber

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Delvin and Princess Jarla are such remarkable characters abd deserve to he applauded. I haven't read this book, but I look forward to reading it. I mostly liked Princess Jarlas character and the lengths she goes to for her kingdom.
_Rhea Jacob

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Risper Ouma Anyango wrote: 15 May 2024, 17:17 Delvin and Princess Jarla are such remarkable characters abd deserve to he applauded. I haven't read this book, but I look forward to reading it. I mostly liked Princess Jarlas character and the lengths she goes to for her kingdom.
I hope you like the book and the characters. Thank you for reading my review and replying to it!
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

"This trilogy is absolutely captivating, intertwining magic, politics, and Delvin's life journey across time flawlessly. Each book possesses its own irresistible charm, immersing readers further into its world. Thank you for creating such gripping writing.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Anu Anand »

I couldn't agree more! The book truly captivated me from beginning to end. Princess Jarla was definitely a standout character with her fierce personality and unique traits. Her presence added so much depth to the story. I enjoyed reading your review. Great work!
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by David Awunor »

I'm glad you enjoyed the book and found the characters well-developed. It was a nicely written review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”