Review of Time Before Time

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Time Before Time

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Time Before Time" by Dan DuBose.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Does time travel interest you? Have you ever thought about being able to change the way things currently unfold? Do you think that you could do something about it? Would your actions have any effect on others? Another thing to think about is the existence of other unknown races living in space. These are commonly called aliens and seem to be very scary, but Dan DuBose and Beau DuBose portray them as very friendly and knowledgeable in their novel, Time Before Time.

Dr. Emerson Whitmore has some unconventional ideas about humans’s development in history. He also has a time-traveling device. Whitmore hires John Chantry to be his bodyguard on the trips back in time. They have no idea what kind of creatures or what kind of circumstances they will encounter on their travels. Eventually, they run into Colonel Turlan from Polithnan. After the meeting with Turlan and discovering what he knew, Chantry decided to go with him. They deliver Whitmore back to his time period and his home and continue on their way.

Turlan and his people have a time-traveling device of their own and are determined to keep the technology from some of the other races in space at the same time as themselves. These “aliens” have also developed a way to travel quickly through space and live in a galaxy many light years away from our own. With the help of stabilizing matter, they are able to establish wormholes that are big enough and will stay open long enough to accomplish this travel. They have discovered, though, that Dr. Whitmore has employed another helper and continued his mission. To find out what happens to everyone, you must read this novel.

I found this to be a very interesting novel. It was full of ideas that I had never even considered. Some, like time travel, were old news and had been considered, but others, like advanced civilizations existing in the universe and alternate histories determined by them, were harder for me to see. The Krolls and the Gruels, some of these advanced societies, were able to disregard human lives, but those like the Polithnans really wanted to help human society and keep those humans safe.

There were quite a few errors that I found in this book, and that was a negative. They didn’t make it hard to read, but having so many was hard to deal with. Most of them included spelling errors and instances of homophone usage, so I could just pass them over. I give this a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I really liked the book, except for the errors, and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in time travel and the possibility of intelligent life trying to save us from ourselves.

Time Before Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RJ Reviews
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 108%

Post by RJ Reviews »

A book on time travel and alternative history sounds interesting. I can imagine the adventures contained within the book to be thrilling. The possibility of intelligent life trying to save us from ourselves is quite unique. But the presence of numerous errors is a disadvantage and I sincerely hope the book will undergo another round of editing. Thank you for sharing your honest review.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

The themes of time travel attract me to read the book, especially since there are worlds and societies that are different from ours. I liked your way of presenting the story and your analysis of its aspects.Great review!
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

RJ Reviews wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 01:55 A book on time travel and alternative history sounds interesting. I can imagine the adventures contained within the book to be thrilling. The possibility of intelligent life trying to save us from ourselves is quite unique. But the presence of numerous errors is a disadvantage and I sincerely hope the book will undergo another round of editing. Thank you for sharing your honest review.
I enjoyed it. I didn’t have to force myself to continue reading. :auto-rally:
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Sarah Zain wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 10:26 The themes of time travel attract me to read the book, especially since there are worlds and societies that are different from ours. I liked your way of presenting the story and your analysis of its aspects.Great review!
It was very good and made me reconsider some of my views. :auto-sportbike:
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by Gerry Steen »

It is fun to imagine other civilizations beyond our Earth. Your review shows that this book will help me do that. I could get happily lost in this other worldly book. I hope the authors take your constructive criticism into account so that their book will be deserving of 5/5 stars. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Gerry Steen wrote: 07 May 2024, 09:09 It is fun to imagine other civilizations beyond our Earth. Your review shows that this book will help me do that. I could get happily lost in this other worldly book. I hope the authors take your constructive criticism into account so that their book will be deserving of 5/5 stars. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
I don’t think that those of us who live here on earth can possibly believe that we are the only living beings in any galaxies. :auto-swerve:
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Quick N Easy Mexican Recipes by Nana Revello
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 620%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you for your review, Amy. Time travel is such a fascinating topic. I am glad that the book proposes new theories too. When will that happen then? :)
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Cristiano Bellucci wrote: 08 May 2024, 00:49 Thank you for your review, Amy. Time travel is such a fascinating topic. I am glad that the book proposes new theories too. When will that happen then? :)
Time travel has always captivated me as well. You do have to be very careful, though. :banana-angel:
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Independence Corrupted by Charles Benjamin Schudson

Post by Harty Muli »

Yes time travel sounds appealing. I like the author's angle where aliens are presented as friendly unlike what is commonly portrayed. Thanks for your review.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Harty Muli wrote: 10 May 2024, 01:22 Yes time travel sounds appealing. I like the author's angle where aliens are presented as friendly unlike what is commonly portrayed. Thanks for your review.
Why are aliens always portrayed as so aggressive? :banana-dance:
Ludovica Peruzzi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

Hi, Amy! I'm fresh off reading another book about time travel which I absolutely loved, so now I'm craving more in that same vein. This might be exactly what I was looking for - kinda reminds me of The Stone Gods by Jeanette Winterson as well. Thank you for this review and I hope to come across this book soon (also, I see you're reading 2084 - hope you enjoy that as well)!
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition) by Dr. Colleen Huber

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

No one has actually ever seen aliens. Its just imagined that there exists another civilization outside planet earth. I would love to read this book to know more about the adventures. I loved reading your review
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Ludovica Peruzzi wrote: 10 May 2024, 19:49 Hi, Amy! I'm fresh off reading another book about time travel which I absolutely loved, so now I'm craving more in that same vein. This might be exactly what I was looking for - kinda reminds me of The Stone Gods by Jeanette Winterson as well. Thank you for this review and I hope to come across this book soon (also, I see you're reading 2084 - hope you enjoy that as well)!
They work really hard to keep little things from changing the future. :banana-dreads:
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Risper Ouma Anyango wrote: 11 May 2024, 03:31 No one has actually ever seen aliens. Its just imagined that there exists another civilization outside planet earth. I would love to read this book to know more about the adventures. I loved reading your review
I think it’s very arrogant of humans to believe that we are the only intelligent beings in the universe. :banana-explosion:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”