Review of When Business Is Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of When Business Is Love

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "When Business Is Love" by Jan Ryde.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Initially, I thought this was just a business book with a touch of self-help and an NLP approach. I didn't expect to gain so many insights from this book.

At first glance, this book seems like a memoir about his journey building his family's company in Sweden, a mattress company that has stood for hundreds of years as an inherited legacy. However, as I read it over time, I realized this book is deeper than that.

This book gives vibes similar to the Blue Ocean Strategy, as he emphasizes in many parts of his book, about applying an abundance mindset in running a business. According to him, we don't need to get stuck in irrelevant competition with competitors and should focus more on our competitive advantages. Everyone should be oriented towards the company's values and how to fulfill others' needs.
The principles he takes are many from the readings he has done. I like how he applies these principles in running his business world, as well as explaining how he executes in each field, from recruitment to how he faces challenges in the business world.

In some parts of his story, we see him reach the point of almost going bankrupt. How he went through the almost bankrupt period when he lost loved ones and how he returned to the values he should hold and reformed this company.
This part teaches me that not everyone has the ability and willingness to develop themselves, even though they have privilege. I like how this book reminds me of the growth mindset and how to get out of mental scarcity and victim mentality. 

This book is easy to read and has an amazing, flawless, and perfect editing.

This book deserves a rating of 5 out of 5 because it is one of the self-help books that, in my opinion, not only uses common sense but also genuinely reads and inserts psychological approaches well into his writing. 

In many parts, I relate to this book. I didn't expect to gain many insights from this book about business. Perhaps this is because of the author's habit of reading and his work as a Dale Carnegie certificate trainer. At the end, there are even many great reading recommendations that he gives to the readers, showing the abundance mentality he advocates.

As for its shortcomings, perhaps this book still emphasizes too much on personal stories and only takes a few examples from outside. He might need to increase the number of case studies from outside to make them more relatable and actionable for others.

This book is very good. I recommend it for fighters in the field of entrepreneurship, young people who are looking to build a career, and even parents who are considering what good values they want to teach their children related to striving in life. This book is suitable for those needs. 

When Business Is Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Tomi Ahmed
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

Thank you for such a comprehensive and reflective review. Your insights highlight the depth and practicality of the book, particularly how it intertwines personal memoir with actionable business strategies. It's great to hear how the author's emphasis on an abundance mindset and growth principles resonated with you. Your recommendation for a wider audience, from entrepreneurs to parents, underscores the book's versatility and relevance. Your balanced critique also adds to the review's credibility. This definitely sounds like a valuable read for anyone looking to gain both personal and professional development.
Tomi Ahmed
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition) by Dr. Colleen Huber
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

What a tittle!!! Business is love and getting into business which you love the most because it requires passion, consistency. It helps a lot to people who want to be business people, it's kind of guide book.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I might consider reading a self-help book such as this. Mr. Ryde’s approach to growing a business by focusing on the positive things that he is doing and not worrying so much about the competition’s business practices seems like a good one to me. I’m also glad that there are no errors present. Thanks!
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

This sounds like an interesting book and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I, too, enjoy when self-help style books include personal anecdotes, but can understand your desire for more case studies. Keep up the good work!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Priya Murugesan »

Based on your review, I believe it is a good self-help book. I love the way how you pointed out the shortcomings. I agree with that.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Obsidian Tomorrow by Chad Wannamaker
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

By now, you've reviewed quite a few self-help books. Did you find that this one offers something new that you haven't read before? This is an issue I've been facing lately with many recent books. The two exceptions are Fireproof Happiness and Phobia Relief, both of which I apply their examples daily.
Yashi Shukla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yashi-shukla.html
Latest Review: The Forbidden Man by Gerald R Knight
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Yashi Shukla »

Personally, I enjoy self help books as they motivate me to do better in my life. But I also think case studies add to practicality of a self help book so I think this one might not be my cup of tea.
Yours truly,
Yashi Shukla
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by Gerry Steen »

I am interested to know more about how the author disregards outside competition while focusing on developing his company's competitive edge. How does he get his employees to be committed to company values and the needs of others? The book's title, "When Business is Love," must serve as a clue to how he managed to be successful. I want to read this book. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Grids of the Word Crosser - Complete Edition by Daniel Fonkem

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Your review offers a fresh perspective on this book, initially perceived as a business memoir but revealing deeper insights akin to the Blue Ocean Strategy's abundance mindset. Great job!
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

I have read this book before and was so impressed on the family business, the way it was brought up till how the author nutured it to what the business became.
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Shades of My Mother by Nancy Descoteaux Culos

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Thank you for your detailed review! It made me even more intrigued to read the book. I will add this book to my reading list.
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

This review highlights the unexpected depth and valuable insights found in what initially seemed to be a straightforward business book. The comparison to the "Blue Ocean Strategy" and emphasis on an abundance mindset in business are particularly intriguing. The personal anecdotes about overcoming near-bankruptcy and personal loss add a compelling, human element to the narrative. Despite a focus on personal stories, the book's psychological approaches and practical applications in business management are praised. It's recommended for entrepreneurs, career-builders, and parents alike, earning a well-deserved 5 out of 5 rating for its relatable and actionable content.
Tomi Ahmed
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Quick N Easy Mexican Recipes by Nana Revello
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 620%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thanks very much, Tomy, for your great review. I was not sure about this book. I appreciate the Blue Ocean strategy, it will be interesting to read. I will add this book to my list.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: We ae volulhirer
Bookshelf Size: 79
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 14%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

Lovely read. This is a kind of book one should read before they venture into the world of entrepreneurship. It sounds like a well thought out book and prepares you for decisions that not only shape your business but shape you too. I'd definitely go for it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”