Review of A Curate in Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of A Curate in Love

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Curate in Love" by Richard Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"A Curate in Love" by Richard Hughes takes us on Richard's journey as a theology graduate who chooses the path of an assistant curate.

Idealism and reality collide as he discovers that many things don't always conform to what he learned in lectures.

Navigating promotions and responsibilities within the church, he faces various conflicts of interest, such as choosing between the person he loves and being a church leader with a good image. This dilemma will be well depicted in the story.

I learned a lot about life as a curate in the church, especially in the Catholic Church. The church he serves, St. Mary's Church, has had a long history since 1490, which is extensively portrayed in the book.

From this book, I also learned many things about the Christian religion, such as the existence of the Book of Common Prayer, morning and evening prayers, sermons, and various rituals in sacred ceremonies. I also learned a bit about the church leadership system and some terms like Mattins, Parish, Curate, and so on.

The church culture in Asia and Europe is certainly different. In my own area, there are more Protestant adherents from the Lutheran tradition, so this book provided many insights into the Catholic Church. As someone who only studied Christianity for 3 years in school, this learning provided an understanding of the interesting diversity in religion.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 because of its detailed portrayal of life as a pastor, which is quite engaging. Although the storyline is somewhat slow, the book has flawless editing, vivid descriptions, and complex social and historical contexts within the story.

As for its shortcomings, the book's plot feels slow due to the abundance of details the author tries to explain. The author introduces many terms that non-Christians may need to learn a bit about before fully understanding the book. It would be helpful if the book included a section providing pre-knowledge about Christianity to make it easier to understand.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the author's effort to portray a romance story alongside the struggles in the path of serving God. I recommend this book to those interested in Christian history, understanding the internal workings of the church, and learning about the experience of being a curate in the church. 

A Curate in Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Priya Murugesan »

A very good review! But I don't like religious book. So I will pass this one.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Harshitha Nayak
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition) by Dr. Colleen Huber
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

Oh this is Christian religion based view story! Entanglement of love with God belief is like walking with blind faith or trusting upon God to guide us.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Obsidian Tomorrow by Chad Wannamaker
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I'm with Priya on this; I might give this one a miss. It has a broad audience sure, but I'm not one of them. Great review.
Yashi Shukla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yashi-shukla.html
Latest Review: The Forbidden Man by Gerald R Knight
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Yashi Shukla »

I am quite fond of the books that gives me the opportunity to explore about other cultures and religions and I don't actually mind slow burn books so might give this one a go.
Yours truly,
Yashi Shukla
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by Gerry Steen »

Your review has piqued my interest. The Catholic Church has had difficulties in regards to priesthood and romantic love co-existing. I am interested to know what this story has to offer to enlighten our minds. Great review. :techie-studyinggray:
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Grids of the Word Crosser - Complete Edition by Daniel Fonkem

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

I truly appreciate your insightful review. Your observations on the protagonist's journey and the book's portrayal of Christian practices offer valuable insights.
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

I love the reviewer likes in this book as I believe the history of the church in this books plays a good role.
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Shades of My Mother by Nancy Descoteaux Culos

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

The book sounds very interesting, however, I think I may skip the book as I am not too interested in reading about Christian history. Thank you for writing a detailed review!
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed reading this book despite its slow pace and that you found it helpful in learning more about the Christian religion. Keep up the good work!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

"A Curate in Love" by Richard Hughes offers a fascinating glimpse into the life of a theology graduate navigating the complexities of church service. The book provides rich insights into the Catholic Church's history, rituals, and leadership, making it educational for readers unfamiliar with this tradition. Despite a slower pace due to detailed descriptions, the story is engaging and well-edited, effectively balancing romance with the challenges of a curate's path. It's a valuable read for anyone interested in Christian history and the inner workings of church life.
Tomi Ahmed
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Quick N Easy Mexican Recipes by Nana Revello
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 620%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you very much for your review. This is an intriguing topic. As you highlight, there are conflicts between personal life and career, or devoting your own life to religion.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition) by Dr. Colleen Huber

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Its so sad how Christianity will divide loved ones because of its various rules. I am already discouraged from reading this when I kesrn that he battles the choice between love and Christianity. Personally, I would choose love. Nice review though.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 165%

Post by Runan »

Converting ideals into reality is a huge task. A church pastor's dilemma between whom he loves and his duty as a church pastor will be interesting to read about. This story seems to tackle several societal issues. I really liked your personalised approach in your review. Keep it up!
Runan
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Kybalion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

An exciting book that will perhaps contribute to my existing understanding of Christianity ( which appears basic , compared to the information provided in your review).
I am curious as to the path Richard takes ultimately concerning his predicament of love and the image he is expected to project.
This actually, upon thought, is a battle most us face in terms of keeping up with societal and religious expectations versus the truth in our hearts.
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”