Review of All Body Bags and No Knickers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Review of All Body Bags and No Knickers

Post by Priya Murugesan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "All Body Bags and No Knickers" by Shawe Ruckus.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

This mystery novel follows the honeymoon journey of newlyweds Changxi Young and Catherine E. Roxborough from London to China. Catherine is a part-time florist, and Changxi, also known as Chance, is a Mongolian-born Chinese M&A consultant. They have a cat with a cute name, Mr. Darcy. At one point in their journey, they come across three dead bodies. They were stunned, as they had known them and had met all three previously on their honeymoon trip. This fact turned them into detectives, and they delved deeper into the mystery behind their deaths.

The book starts like a normal book, following the journey of a newlywed couple. It shows the mature and realistic love between Chance and Catherine through various small incidents. It showcases the interesting cultures of China and Korea. I have learned many new facts, like the calendar system used in Korea and the five phases in Chinese philosophy. The characters talk about the Chinese zodiac, which is fascinating. The book also points out many differences in the cultures of Korea, China, and Japan. It was interesting to learn about their different customs and various food preferences. The detailing level present in the book is so awesome that the readers also embark on an amazing journey with the couple. As a food lover, I loved the food items described in the book.

Later, when the dead bodies are discovered, the book suddenly changes into a page-turner. The pace of the book gets faster after that. The story oscillates between past and present, which builds momentum. It is a good thriller, and many mysteries are unraveled at the end.

I loved the funny banter between Patsy and Felipe. It was cute and lively. The book has many small amusing facts embedded within the story, like how all the TV channels in China play the same program or how fish used for fish pedicures are starved. I enjoyed reading about the history behind the Forbidden City. The stories behind Chinese Valentine's Day and the hummingbird hawk-moth are intriguing. The Ghost Day has some paranormal effects, which were gripping to read.

The editing is exceptional. I didn't notice any errors. But the book has some drawbacks. It has a plodding start, which some might not like. I felt that there were many characters, and their names were confusing at times. The mystery part comes only later in the story, which might not go well with mystery lovers. For these reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

All Body Bags and No Knickers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by Gerry Steen »

Priya, you wrote a wonderful review. The highlighting of Chinese, Korean, and Japanese cultures and their differences is intriguing. Of course, I will also enjoy the romance and the murder-mystery parts of the plot. I can understand how the inclusion of many characters in the story may cause confusion. However, I can see myself enjoying this story. :techie-studyinggray:
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Thanks, Gerry for reading and replying to my review!
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 146%

Post by Martina Sette »

This mystery novel is a captivating blend of cultural exploration and thrilling detective work. I've already read it and found it to be quite engaging!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Thanks, Martina for reading my review!
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The title of the book alone sounds intriguing. I can imagine the combination of mystery, thriller, and crime in this book. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 05 May 2024, 21:29 The title of the book alone sounds intriguing. I can imagine the combination of mystery, thriller, and crime in this book. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Thanks, Tomy for your kind words!
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Shades of My Mother by Nancy Descoteaux Culos

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Wow, the book sounds really interesting to read with Chinese and Korean facts, foods, cultures and a murder mystery to solve. I think I will give this book a read. Thank you for your detailed review!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

_Rhea Jacob wrote: 12 May 2024, 07:21 Wow, the book sounds really interesting to read with Chinese and Korean facts, foods, cultures and a murder mystery to solve. I think I will give this book a read. Thank you for your detailed review!
Thanks a lot for your reply!
Yashi Shukla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yashi-shukla.html
Latest Review: The Forbidden Man by Gerald R Knight
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Yashi Shukla »

I also loved the banter between Felipe and Patsy as well. Felipe is my favorite character in this book and i really loved when the thrill hits.
Yours truly,
Yashi Shukla
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Yashi Shukla wrote: 15 May 2024, 06:51 I also loved the banter between Felipe and Patsy as well. Felipe is my favorite character in this book and i really loved when the thrill hits.
Glad we share the same feelings!
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

The review offers insightful praise for "All Body Bags and No Knickers," commending its diverse cultural exploration, engaging storytelling, and intriguing blend of romance and mystery, while providing constructive criticism to enhance the reader's understanding of its potential drawbacks.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

MAHAD BAIG MIRZA wrote: 27 May 2024, 06:47 The review offers insightful praise for "All Body Bags and No Knickers," commending its diverse cultural exploration, engaging storytelling, and intriguing blend of romance and mystery, while providing constructive criticism to enhance the reader's understanding of its potential drawbacks.
Thanks a lot for your valuable comments!
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition) by Dr. Colleen Huber
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

The tittle and name of the book itself is interesting and creates curiosity of what's inside. You have written good review and it seems like thriller with tight plotline.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”