Review of Phobia Relief

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
_Rhea Jacob
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Shades of My Mother by Nancy Descoteaux Culos

Review of Phobia Relief

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Phobia Relief" by Kalliope Barlis.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Does thinking of clowns make you scared stiff? Are you constantly distressed by the thought of a dog barking? If you are, then Phobia Relief: From Fear to Freedom by Kalliope Barlis might be for you! The author states that some fear is necessary to help us survive; however, irrational fears that prevent people from living up to their full potential can cause more harm than good. As our mind has a lot of control over us, the book uses the power of thoughts to resolve fears.

The book consists of three parts. The first and second parts teach readers how to shrink their fears using exercises, and the third part shows a transcript of the author helping a patient get rid of her crippling fear of clowns.

I liked the book for several reasons. Firstly, the writing was engaging, and multiple examples were given to help readers understand the concepts. Secondly, I really liked the exercises given to change how a person thinks of their fear. They were very easy to follow, and anyone can do it as it doesn’t require any additional materials other than a person’s mind. Thirdly, the author gives simple and clear explanations for explaining certain functions of the brain and how the exercises rely on those functions to change how a person reacts to an irrational fear.

One thing I didn’t like was that certain sentences were repeated in various forms, and I felt that it was not required. An example of this is the sentence “It doesn’t matter what they fear, it’s how they fear it” being repeated several times. However, I understand that it could have been repeated to stress its importance.

The book had a few errors, but it didn’t distract me. For the reasons given above, I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars. The book doesn’t contain any sexual content and is suitable for all ages. Overall, it is a wonderful and useful book that can help readers resolve their irrational fears.

Phobia Relief
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

I've read the book too, and it's nice to share the same feeling as you. The writing style is enjoyable, and it provides many easy-to-understand examples. Thanks for writing this review. What a great piece of writing!
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I have read this book. You have analyzed the book well! Like you said, some sentences are repeated for stressing the importance.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
_Rhea Jacob

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 03 May 2024, 21:57 I've read the book too, and it's nice to share the same feeling as you. The writing style is enjoyable, and it provides many easy-to-understand examples. Thanks for writing this review. What a great piece of writing!
Thank you for reading my review! Its nice to find readers who have read the same books and share the same feelings about the book.
_Rhea Jacob

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Priya Murugesan wrote: 12 May 2024, 11:04 I have read this book. You have analyzed the book well! Like you said, some sentences are repeated for stressing the importance.
Thank you for reading my review! Its nice to find readers who have read the same books and share the same feelings about the book. Thank you for your feedback!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”