Review of House of Eire

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
_Rhea Jacob
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Shades of My Mother by Nancy Descoteaux Culos

Review of House of Eire

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

[Following is a volunteer review of "House of Eire" by June Gillam.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

House of Eire is the third book in the Hillary Bloome series; however, it can be read as a stand-alone. Hillary, a ghostwriter, and her husband go on a trip to Ireland as part of their belated honeymoon, accompanied by their young daughter, Claire, and Hillary’s old friend Sarah. While on their trip, Hillary is interested in learning more about her Irish ancestors, who were forced to move during the Great Hunger, and reconnecting with her roots. Her cousin, Bridget, is helping her, but what happens when she starts getting threatening ghost dolls every day with her newspaper? Who keeps threatening her, and why? Will Hillary be able to help her cousin in time? Read a copy of the book to find out!

What I liked the most was the Irish history, stories, and songs woven into the story. It is informative, and both Hillary and the readers gain knowledge about the Great Hunger and what the people did to survive, as well as the Irish culture, beliefs, and music. The readers are also able to resonate with Hillary as she embarks on her journey to find information about her ancestors and protect her loved ones. It was also nice to read the perspectives of other characters and get to understand them better and empathize with them.

I felt that the story lagged a bit in the beginning but then picked up the pace towards the end. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading the book.

There were only a few errors, so I believe the book was professionally edited. I would rate the book 5 out of 5 stars for the reasons I mentioned above. I would recommend the book to anyone who likes ghost stories and murder mysteries. It can also be an entertaining read if you want to know a bit about Ireland.

House of Eire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I just love murder mysteries. I am eagerly waiting to read this! A good review!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
_Rhea Jacob
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Shades of My Mother by Nancy Descoteaux Culos

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Priya Murugesan wrote: 12 May 2024, 11:05 I just love murder mysteries. I am eagerly waiting to read this! A good review!
I also love murder mysteries and this was a good book. I hope you can recommend some other murder mystery books to me. Thank you for reading my review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”