Review of life.............connected

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of life.............connected

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "life.............connected" by jacksel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The book tells the story of Jacksen's struggle in his personal journey related to belief, self-discovery, and interpreting life experiences. In this book, the author shares many of his opinions on various things he has observed and understood in his life. 

As a Buddhist, I was interested because the title promised a deeper discussion about Christianity.

However, when I started reading, even from the beginning, I found it difficult to understand the author's writing, which seemed not to have been well organized. Many parts appeared disjointed from one another.

The book feels like a collection of the author's advice and recommendations on various life-related topics. Sometimes he talks about his journey, sometimes about movies he's watched, sometimes about a military figure, wars, and weapons. He often relates stories about history he's seen in movies and includes some quotes.

I appreciate the author's effort to share his experiences over time, especially through various photo snippets, newspaper clippings, or good quotes he's read along with the year he experienced them. It feels intimate, like reading the memoir of someone close to us.

This book has an flawless editing. I give this book a rating of 3 out of 5. My difficulty in understanding and following the author's train of thought is the reason for this rating. I'm not sure if this is due to the format provided, but the font choice and paragraph arrangement are messy.

From one paragraph to another, sometimes the discussed themes seem mismatched. The author seems to pour out his thoughts directly onto paper, write them down, and then send them straight to the publisher without deeper revision.

Moreover, this book's shortcoming also lies in the mismatch between the title and its content, where it should have discussed Christianity.

Perhaps this book would be more appropriately titled as a memoir about his life experiences and how his journey intertwines with the beliefs he holds.

life.............connected
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Julie Basil
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

I can understand how the formatting of the book and the author's lack of organization for his ideas would detract from your reading experience. Thanks for the honest review!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: We ae volulhirer
Bookshelf Size: 79
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 14%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

This is funny I can't help but laugh . You know why, this is exactly how I would write a memoir myself. I think the author realised that making it a memoir would be more of a cliche and people wouldn't be as interested. I'm sure you wouldn't have grabbed it of the shelf either. Furthermore this is a great read .
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I normally would not pick up religious books. Based on your review, I will pass this one.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Emily Astillberry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-astillberry.html
Latest Review: Parabolic Magnetic Key by Nicholas Wudtke
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Emily Astillberry »

Thank you for your honest, well written review. It's a shame that the book felt disjointed to you. Perhaps it would mean more to someone who already had an interest or knowledge of the author.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Grids of the Word Crosser - Complete Edition by Daniel Fonkem

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Great job with this review! I particularly disagree with the author's view that "Bullying (…) is actually good conditioning." His simplistic suggestion to not show fear to the bully seems naive and overlooks the complexity of this behavior.
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

Your review provides a clear and insightful critique of the book, highlighting both its strengths and weaknesses. It's evident that you appreciated the personal and intimate nature of the author's storytelling, enhanced by the inclusion of photos, newspaper clippings, and quotes. However, your frustration with the book's disjointed structure and the mismatch between its title and content is well articulated. Your suggestion that it might be better marketed as a memoir rather than a deeper discussion about Christianity is particularly perceptive. The mention of flawless editing juxtaposed with issues in formatting and paragraph arrangement adds depth to your critique, showing that while the book is technically polished, it still lacks coherence. Overall, your review is balanced, offering constructive feedback that could be valuable for both the author and potential readers.
Tomi Ahmed
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: Madame Ph.D.: Growing Up Black in DC and Beating the Odds by Gwynette Ford Lacy, Ph.D., MBA
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 50%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

Sometimes I find it interesting to read disjointed books like this, as it feels like I'm getting a peek into the author's raw manuscript. As you mentioned, it seems the author pours his thoughts directly onto the paper and sends them straight to the publisher without extensive revision. While this approach might impact the overall enjoyment of the book, it still seems worth exploring. I appreciate your genuine interest in the book and look forward to reading it myself. Thank you for such a clear and precise review.
That I may know Him :arrow: Philippians 3:10
Ashwini Tawade
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashwini-tawade.html
Latest Review: Who Will Accompany You? by Meg Stafford, Kate Stafford, Gale Stafford

Post by Ashwini Tawade »

I will want to read this book to find out if there is something useful in it. Thank you for an assertive review. I sometimes prefer reading spiritual or religious reads.
Gayatri Tripathi
Favorite Book: E M P Honeymoon
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayatri-tripathi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Gayatri Tripathi »

Your review of Jacksen's book is thoughtful and detailed, highlighting both the strengths and weaknesses of the work. Your perspective as a Buddhist interested in a deeper discussion about Christianity adds an interesting dimension to your critique.

Your initial anticipation of a thorough exploration of Christianity, based on the book's title, sets the stage for your disappointment with its content. This expectation makes your critique of the book's disorganized structure and mismatched themes more impactful.

You clearly describe your struggle to follow the author's train of thought due to the disjointed nature of the writing. This is an important observation, as it indicates that the book may lack the coherence and focus needed to engage readers effectively. Your comparison of the book to a collection of advice and recommendations on various life-related topics, rather than a cohesive narrative, provides a clear picture of its structure.

Your appreciation for the author's effort to share personal experiences through photos, newspaper clippings, and quotes is a positive note. It suggests that the book has moments of intimacy and relatability, which could appeal to some readers. However, your difficulty in following the author's train of thought and the messy paragraph arrangement detract from the overall reading experience.

Your rating of 3 out of 5 is fair, given the issues you encountered with the book's organization and the mismatch between the title and content. Your suggestion that the book might be more appropriately titled as a memoir about the author's life experiences and beliefs is constructive. It provides the author with valuable feedback on how to better align the book's presentation with its actual content.

Thank you for sharing your honest and balanced review. It offers valuable insights for potential readers and the author, highlighting the need for better organization and a clearer focus to meet reader expectations.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition) by Dr. Colleen Huber

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

I always thought that this book was a Christian book but am surprised to learn its related to Buddhism. I would enjoy this book because I love reading about movies, personal life and a little bit of history. Nice review though.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by Gerry Steen »

Thank you for this informative and honest review. i will be sure to steer clear of this book. A few moths ago, I read a book of memoirs that was not well organized and had thoughts "poured out onto paper" without any revision. It was torture to read.
On the other hand, I congratulate you for your organized and well-written reviews. :techie-studyinggray:
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 146%

Post by Martina Sette »

I had already seen this book, but I wasn't interested in reading it. Your review confirms my belief. Thank you, you did a great job!
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Rajaee »

It is very evident that you did not enjoy the book. Perhaps, like you said, it would have been better if the author had revised it.
Thanks for being honest in your review.
Jones Mwaniki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jones-mwaniki.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 240%

Post by Jones Mwaniki »

Thank you for the review. It at least helps to know what a reader would potentially get into before reading this work. I feel a bit let down because of the mention of themes that seem to not be related to each other. But it is a thing with religious books. It can at times feel off, but I believe it can be tolerated, based off of a reader's preferences.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”