Review of Timewise

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ludovica Peruzzi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Entanglement
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Blockhead by Kyle J.S. Bardell

Review of Timewise

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Even as an avid reader, constant mental fatigue from my daily life can make it so that dry periods where every book feels like a chore are more frequent than I’d like - but there’s always that one book you come across that single-handedly gets you out of your rut and reminds you of the beauty and joy you can find in reading.

Timewise by Robert Leet was one such book for me.

The story focuses on Ron Larsen and his relationship with physics professor Regina Russo from the moment he first meets her at fourteen years old. Regina is the first person in Ron’s life to see promise and potential in him and so keeps meeting with him through the years, going as far as to sponsor his college education, to fill him in about her physics theories - the most important of which is her belief that “awareness creates time”.

Regina’s theories, as you may have figured, are far from being orthodox, and risky experiments she conducted in the past have caused her to be shunned by her colleagues and the rest of the scientific community. Ron himself starts to realize how deeply entangled he’s becoming with Regina’s work and attempts to pull away from her multiple times, only to be dragged back in whenever their paths inevitably cross again. Eventually, Regina asks for his help with a project that might potentially disclose new truths about the nature of time and reality, and Ron must decide how far he’s willing to go for his mentor and for the answers they both seek.

Despite what it may sound like, this book is far from being action-packed: the story builds slowly and the truly climactic moments are few and far between, so if it is a thrilling page-turner you’re looking for, you will probably be disappointed. Nevertheless, the flawless execution of what it set out to do made this one of the most compelling books I’ve ever read, and one I could not get enough of until I reached the final page.

I’d be having breakfast with the book in front of me because I couldn’t wait to finish my coffee before diving into Regina’s theories some more. I’d go to bed and think that I couldn’t wait to wake up to know what happened next. Like Ron, I felt myself being pulled under more and more with every page, and suddenly even physics - the subject I most struggled with back in school - was immensely fascinating to me.

Of course, precisely because I was so bad at physics, Regina’s long-winded explanations didn’t always make perfect sense, so I was often left confused - but I don’t think understanding the physics behind the story was really the point. Regina’s theories were more so a means to an end, with the book’s true subject being the very human desires that fueled them: the desire to see more, to understand the complexities of our universe, to give meaning to our lives - as fleeting as they are.

There is nothing I disliked about this book; in fact, its flaws only seemed to cement its unique identity. Therefore, my rating is 5/5. I’d recommend it to anyone who can set aside their expectations of what a sci-fi novel should be and just appreciate it for what it is - a story of entangled souls across space and time, from its inception down to a truly touching finale.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The premise of this book looks interesting, considering the themes it addresses are relevant to the current human issue. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Ludovica, my interest is piqued. Having just read a book about psychic entanglement called Time for PsyQ, your review has fulfilled my need to delve into this subject deeper. I am looking forward to reading Timewise so that I can re-enter the world of alternate time dimensions and psychic entanglement. European and American governments have spent billions of dollars on research using Holdron Collider technology. Thank you for the great review! :techie-studyinggray:
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti
2024 Reading Goal: 75
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

The absolute best books I read and review are the ones I can’t put down long enough to eat breakfast. One time I put a book in a zip-lock plastic bag and brought it with me into the shower. I smiled about how you couldn’t put this one down! I will look it up myself! :)
Ludovica Peruzzi

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 17 May 2024, 13:41 The premise of this book looks interesting, considering the themes it addresses are relevant to the current human issue. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Thanks for your reply! If you ever do read it, I really hope you like it! :tiphat:
Ludovica Peruzzi

Gerry Steen wrote: 17 May 2024, 13:51 Ludovica, my interest is piqued. Having just read a book about psychic entanglement called Time for PsyQ, your review has fulfilled my need to delve into this subject deeper. I am looking forward to reading Timewise so that I can re-enter the world of alternate time dimensions and psychic entanglement. European and American governments have spent billions of dollars on research using Holdron Collider technology. Thank you for the great review! :techie-studyinggray:
Ohhh, yeah, this definitely sounds like the book you're looking for then :D I might have to check out the book you're talking about too, since now I'm also craving more narratives like this one. Thanks for the reply!
Ludovica Peruzzi

Dana Lawrence Lohn wrote: 20 May 2024, 06:29 The absolute best books I read and review are the ones I can’t put down long enough to eat breakfast. One time I put a book in a zip-lock plastic bag and brought it with me into the shower. I smiled about how you couldn’t put this one down! I will look it up myself! :)
Oh man, I remember when I had to take a shower while reading this book and it was absolutely agonizing. I might have to try the plastic bag hack :D Thank you so much for your reply!
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Hi Ludovica, this book is on my list to read and I was keen to get your take on it. I admit I do love a page turner that has mini climactic events throughout so I may find this one a little theory-heavy, but I'm still going to read it, based on your 5/5 star review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”