Review of Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Review of Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid" by Jason Pike.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Previously, I didn't quite understand the fate of war veterans. I thought all veterans always received their rights and facilities as they should. However, after reading a novel about the Vietnam War, I realized that many U.S. soldiers didn't receive their rights.

This book comes at a time when I have many questions about this matter, considering that some previous readings also discussed the backgrounds of families who are military veterans.

From this book, I learned that the Veterans Administration is one of the most complex organizations in America.

The author also mentions that dealing with the VA is often described as a game of Chutes and Ladders, and according to Jim Vale, assistant director for claims at the American Legion, “Veterans have heard stories, but many of them are surprised when they encounter the VA. The most important thing is to be represented.”

Imagining the VA as a large and complex organization with multiple fields, I imagine the amount of administration that needs to be handled by these war veterans. We know that being a war veteran means some of them will live with psychological trauma and some with diseases as war effects, whether it's sickness due to radiation or chemicals, permanent disabilities, or diseases as a result of stress.

Seeing how veterans are surprised by the extensive administration required to obtain their rights, I feel this book provides a good guide for these veterans to understand their rights.

This book covers many aspects, from how to start filing for entitlements to administrative requirements related to health, education coverage, mental health care, and funeral expenses.

I didn't expect that there would be education scholarships, mental healthcare, and also community adjustment assistance in terms of pre-job guidance for veterans. I don't know if this exists in my country, but this is assistance that I find very valuable in helping veterans.

In the book, it is written that 30,177 active duty personnel and veterans of the post-9/11 wars have died by suicide, a figure four times higher than the 70,757 service members killed in combat. This mental health assistance is very good considering the military culture, which, in my opinion, is characterized by toxic masculinity as a job demand.

This book is easy to read and has an amazing, flawless, and perfect editing.

I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 as a form of appreciation for the author's intention to help fellow veterans avoid the high costs of hiring Veterans Administration consultants. I also give this rating because the author has included many sources to make it easier for people to find further information relevant to their field.

In line with the author's words in the book, professional representation is expensive, and what you get from professional representation is often the same as what you would get from a little bit of private research and a lot of patience and persistence.

If there are shortcomings in this book, perhaps it needs more personal stories related to each aspect, illustrations, and several case studies from others that could serve as considerations for readers in making decisions regarding administrative matters.

Apart from that, I find this book very good. With his military background, the author has made the discussions pretty easy with the step-by-step presentation of each topic and his eagerness to share his personal and family experiences regarding certain topics covered in this book.

I recommend this book for veterans as well as veteran families who want to help their family members recover from war and get compensation according to their rights.

Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid
View: on Bookshelves
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am glad that you were so happy reading this book. I know a lot of veterans and some of them have chronic medical conditions. Of those that do, many of them don’t get the care that they were promised, and if they do, they have to wait a very long time. I also didn’t realize that there were so many other things that the VA took care of. Thanks!
Risper Ouma Anyango
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

I don't really know much about veterans and they haven't picked my interest so I won't be reading this book. But I can comment on the Vietnam War. It brought so much chaos and yet it was a useless battle to be fought. Resources were wasted and innocent lives were lost.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

This sounds like a very helpful book for anyone who would like to know more about the benefits that are available to veterans in the US.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I had thoughts of picking this book. Your review strengthened my desire. You have analyzed the book thoroughly. I like the way how you pointed out the shortcomings.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

This insightful review highlights the often overlooked struggles of war veterans in navigating the complexities of the Veterans Administration (VA). It sheds light on the extensive administrative hurdles and the lack of sufficient support for veterans dealing with psychological trauma and health issues. The book serves as a crucial guide, offering valuable information on entitlements, mental health care, education, and more. The review praises the book for its clarity, excellent editing, and practical advice, making it a must-read for veterans and their families. The suggestion for more personal stories and case studies would enhance its relatability and impact. Overall, the review underscores the book’s significant contribution to helping veterans understand and claim their rights.
Tomi Ahmed
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: The hyena stare
Bookshelf Size: 80
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 14%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

This is really a sad ordeal to learn that the very people that put their lives on the line for us have to go through such. That's also true ...most of them are suffering from traumas and some only come back with less limbs than they left with. This is an enlightening book on what happens after the war has passed . I think it's an amazing read for someone who wants to venture into becoming a soldier. Although this should be read before they make that decision and I'm sure you know why.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Grids of the Word Crosser - Complete Edition by Daniel Fonkem

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Great review! I enjoyed this book. The personal anecdotes about the author's upbringing, including his independence from a young age and overcoming a learning disability, made the book relatable and engaging.
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 53%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

It is disheartening to see that war veterans face challenges in securing their rights after risking their lives and sustaining injuries in service to the country. It's surprising how much bureaucracy veterans must navigate to claim what they deserve. I appreciate that you highlighted how this book serves as a valuable guide for veterans to understand and access their rights. Thank you for sharing your insights; I will definitely add this book to my shelf to learn more.
That I may know Him :arrow: Philippians 3:10
Emily Astillberry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-astillberry.html
Latest Review: Parabolic Magnetic Key by Nicholas Wudtke
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Emily Astillberry »

It is so important that this sort of book is out there, helping guide people to the help they need and your thorough and thoughtful review will help guide people to the right place to find that advice. A great service to mankind.
Ashwini Tawade
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashwini-tawade.html
Latest Review: Who Will Accompany You? by Meg Stafford, Kate Stafford, Gale Stafford

Post by Ashwini Tawade »

I appreciate this book and its author for considering veterans and facilitating their needs. Your review is also commendable, just like this book. I will want to read this book as well as learn about the Vietnam War. I don't like wars at all, but I respect veterans.
Gayatri Tripathi
Favorite Book: E M P Honeymoon
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayatri-tripathi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Gayatri Tripathi »

Your review of the novel about Vietnam War veterans is insightful and deeply empathetic. It’s clear that this book has significantly broadened your understanding of the challenges veterans face, particularly regarding their rights and the complexity of dealing with the Veterans Administration (VA).

Your initial belief that all veterans received their deserved rights and facilities highlights a common misconception, making your newfound awareness even more impactful. The comparison of dealing with the VA to a game of Chutes and Ladders effectively illustrates the frustrating and often convoluted process veterans must navigate.

The book’s focus on the administrative hurdles veterans encounter is particularly important, given the psychological and physical trauma many endure. Your emphasis on the necessity of representation and the extensive paperwork required offers a sobering look at the bureaucratic obstacles that can prevent veterans from accessing their benefits.

Your appreciation for the book’s comprehensive coverage of veterans' entitlements, including health care, education scholarships, mental health care, and community adjustment assistance, is well-founded. These aspects are crucial for supporting veterans' reintegration into civilian life, and your recognition of their value is commendable.

The statistic you cited about the high suicide rates among post-9/11 veterans underscores the critical need for mental health support. Your point about the military culture’s potential contribution to these issues adds a layer of understanding to the discussion.

Your rating of 5 out of 5 is well-justified by the book’s clarity, thoroughness, and intent to help veterans navigate the VA without incurring high costs from professional consultants. Your suggestion for including more personal stories, illustrations, and case studies is constructive and would likely enhance the book's relatability and practical value.

The author's military background and personal experiences lend authenticity and depth to the guide, making it accessible and trustworthy. Your recommendation for veterans and their families to read this book highlights its importance as a resource for understanding and securing their rights.

Thank you for sharing such a detailed and compassionate review. It provides valuable insights and encourages a deeper appreciation for the challenges veterans face and the support they need.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

I congratulate and praise Jason Pike for writing this book. Good on him for stepping up to help his brothers and sisters who paid a price in the line of duty. Veterans deserve a smooth transition back into civilian life. I can see from your review that this book helps with that need. :techie-studyinggray:
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Tour of Duty by William H. Coles
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Martina Sette »

It's shocking to learn many U.S. veterans didn't receive their rights. It opened my eyes to the complex struggles they face. Great review!
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Rajaee »

I have always respected war veterans for their contributions to their homeland and its people. They too are humans just like any of us and they still chose to fight for their country so that the rest of us can sleep peacefully at night. Its sad to know that many of them didn't receive their rights.
Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”