Review of The In-Between

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Review of The In-Between

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The In-Between" by Christian Espinosa.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In a book written by a coach, his experience is portrayed in a touching and engaging manner.

The book resonates with me as it discusses how to focus on the present moment, as its title suggests, "In-Between." He offers psychological insights about focusing on what's within our control rather than what's not, without leaning too much towards either optimism or pessimism.

An example is his use of the "bubble state" analogy, describing situations where we avoid, get trapped in a cycle of trauma, and become unwilling to relate to others. The way he simplifies psychological terms into easily understandable concepts is delightful to observe.

In some parts, the book takes us on a journey through his childhood, his trauma with his stepfather, reflections on that trauma, his coaching experiences with clients, and also how he navigates through the pandemic and his life.

The storytelling model of a memoir is something I enjoy reading, and it complements this story nicely.
Many parts of the story are captivating, such as his experiences as the pandemic approached Denmark, his recovery from a blood vessel issue that prevented him from running, and the reasons he became a coach to heal his family trapped in addiction.

This book is easy to read and has an amazing, flawless, and perfect editing.

I give this book a 5 out of 5 because of his humble, realistic storytelling and his willingness to appear reflective and admit his mistakes. This humble storytelling style is rarely found in self-help books, and I highly appreciate it.

This experience is written by someone who has been through a lot in life and is told closely, realistically, and touchingly with life messages that are not preachy.

We can see this from the way he tells the early parts of the story, when he faced divorce, his failed cybersecurity job, and his hobby of running hindered by illness. It reminds me that nothing is permanent in this world. Downfalls can happen anytime in life, and we need to always be prepared to face all those challenges.

As feedback, perhaps this book needs to detail more technical steps for solving concrete life issues.

In some parts, the advice is still too general and less relatable to those who haven't had many life experiences. This book might be more relatable to older people who have been through a lot.

The In-Between
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Risper Ouma Anyango
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

I truly enjoyed the concepts in this book about living in the in-between moments. Christian Espinosa categorised life's moon three different ways, the macro, micro and in-between moments. After a nearly death experience during a car accident, he decided to write thus book to tell others to live in the moment and avoid thinks much abut the past or the future.
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

This review highlights *In-Between* as a touching and engaging memoir by a coach. The reviewer values its focus on living in the present and balanced approach to optimism and pessimism, especially through the "bubble state" analogy. The storytelling covers the author's childhood trauma, coaching experiences, and life during the pandemic.

The book's readability and flawless editing earn it a 5 out of 5 for humble and realistic storytelling. However, the reviewer suggests adding more detailed advice for specific life issues. Overall, it’s praised for offering profound insights and life lessons.
Tomi Ahmed
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I am intrigued by this book! It would be nice to live in the present rather than in the past or future.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 63%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

Some books are written to inspire people, to give them valuable lessons which they went through, and suggestions to avoid few things. Memoir is always personal, it's their struggle and success journey,to be part of that and taking away better things is good experience.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Grids of the Word Crosser - Complete Edition by Daniel Fonkem

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Excellent review! Your appreciation for the author's reflective and humble approach to life’s challenges adds a personal touch. It's great to hear how the book resonated with you, particularly the realistic portrayals of life's ups and downs.
Gayatri Tripathi
Favorite Book: E M P Honeymoon
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayatri-tripathi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Gayatri Tripathi »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review of "In-Between" by the coach, which highlights its impactful storytelling and valuable life lessons. Your reflections on the book's themes and the author's narrative approach provide a clear picture of its strengths and areas for improvement.

It's evident that the author's ability to simplify psychological concepts into relatable analogies, such as the "bubble state," resonated deeply with you. This approach not only makes complex ideas accessible but also enriches the reading experience by offering practical insights applicable to daily life.

The memoir-style storytelling, weaving together personal experiences from childhood trauma to professional coaching and navigating through personal challenges like illness and career setbacks, adds depth and authenticity to the narrative. Your appreciation for the author's humility in sharing his reflections and admitting mistakes underscores the book's authenticity and relatability.

Your praise for the book's editing and readability further emphasizes its quality and appeal. The way it delves into profound life messages without being preachy is a testament to the author's storytelling prowess and genuine desire to connect with readers on a personal level.

Your constructive feedback about detailing more technical steps for solving concrete life issues is valuable. This suggestion could enhance the book's utility for readers seeking more actionable guidance in navigating life challenges, especially for those less experienced or facing different stages of life.

Overall, your review effectively communicates the essence of "In-Between" and its impact on you as a reader. Thank you for sharing your perspective, which will undoubtedly help others decide whether this book aligns with their interests and needs.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Christian Espinosa's memoir is very interesting according to your review. I admire coaches who are honest with themselves and the people that they coach. Coaches are needed to improves people's strengths and to help them minimize their weaknesses. The coach finds the delicate balance that will allow the person they are coaching to perform well. When knocked down he would get up again and carry on. I want to read this enlightening compilation of the coach's life experiences. This will give me inspiration. Thank you for the great review. :techie-studyinggray:
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: The hyena stare
Bookshelf Size: 80
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 14%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

This sounds like an amazing book .I also struggle to focus on the now . Im constantly planning and looking forward to whats never going to even happen . So this is the right book for such a moment. I'd surely love to read this. Lovely review Tomy
Ludovica Peruzzi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Blockhead by Kyle J.S. Bardell

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

Well, "the in-between" is a good descriptor for my usual state of mind, and so is "the bubble state". I should probably check this book out sometime; I'm very interested in what the author has to say about trauma. Thanks for your review!
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Kybalion
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

This book does sound interesting.
Memoirs are indeed a great genre.
It's wonderful that this book raises the value of focusing on the present moment.
The " bubble state" analogy, I find interesting and feel it's a common struggle in humanity.
This book offers terrific insight.
Congratulations to the author!
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee
Ashwini Tawade
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashwini-tawade.html
Latest Review: Who Will Accompany You? by Meg Stafford, Kate Stafford, Gale Stafford

Post by Ashwini Tawade »

This book interests me. I will read it. Thank you for a qualitative review.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Book That Broke the World (The Library Trilogy #2)
Bookshelf Size: 2302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

It's important to focus on what we can control. This book seems to give good advice as well as sharing a life story. Thanks for the review.
Jones Mwaniki
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jones-mwaniki.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 260%

Post by Jones Mwaniki »

This review about the book seems to reflect perfectly what the book is about. Human beings are complex; knowing how to focus on the present seems to be a challenge, which I believe this book helps the reader to do so.
Jones Mwaniki
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jones-mwaniki.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 260%

Post by Jones Mwaniki »

This review about the book seems to reflect perfectly what the book is about. Human beings are complex; knowing how to focus on the present seems to be a challenge, which I believe this book helps the reader to do so.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”