Review of 2084

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of 2084

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "2084" by Kadon Landon Peterson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

2084: Book 1 2069 by Kadon Landon Peterson is the first book in a three-book series, and it was very hard for me to read. The book centers on Dune Brunswick and his pet/girlfriend, Fennec, and their quest to destroy the WPA (World Peace Authority). Dune’s parents were members of the Four Founders. The participants in this group helped the WPA secure their hold on the inhabitants of the earth.

No one in the world is allowed to be their own person. They weren’t allowed to procreate; the WPA developed a way to make an AI into a being with human characteristics, and they called these robots "models." Not only were these “models” taking the jobs from humans and doing them much more efficiently, they were essentially replacing these humans in all areas. The saddest part of all of this was that most of the humans didn’t really mind.

There was a group of individuals that did not agree with the rule of the WPA. These individuals were known as NatOrg. Even though Dune and Fennec did not completely agree with all of the tenets of NatOrg, they wanted to get rid of the WPA, and that was enough. While with NatOrg, Dune worked with some teens considered delinquent by the ruling authority and was able to turn all of them around.

This novel was difficult for me to read and took me a very long time. There were many places where Dune gave reasons for what he believed. These encompassed several pages each and were quite philosophical. These pages read like a Shakespearean soliloquy. He gave examples of what he wanted, but most of those were very difficult for me to understand as well. The upside was that most of the characters that Dune encountered were able to keep up with him and present well-reasoned arguments. This was especially true of Jacob, one of the leaders of NatOrg.

All in all, this was only an okay book for me, resulting in a rating of 2 out of 5 stars. I don’t doubt that readers who are more focused than me would get a lot out of this book. Dune had good ideas and seemed to carry out his plans well. I just found his explanations to be very confusing and long. The novel could have been much shorter and still achieved the desired result.

View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 339
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Fallen in a Dark Uneven Way by Lo Monaco

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I thought the premise of AIs replacing humans was a great one for a book, and it initially caught my interest. However, it's unfortunate that the book's execution wasn't up to par. It'd definitely be tough getting through pages that read like a Shakespearean soliloquy. Thanks for your honest review.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Luman »

Chinazo Anozie wrote: 21 May 2024, 00:09 I thought the premise of AIs replacing humans was a great one for a book, and it initially caught my interest. However, it's unfortunate that the book's execution wasn't up to par. It'd definitely be tough getting through pages that read like a Shakespearean soliloquy. Thanks for your honest review.
The premise WAS a good one. Dune just didn’t express himself to my satisfaction. :banana-ninja:
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Thanks for the review! Sorry to hear the book didn't quite hit the mark for you. I completely understand your point about lengthy and confusing narratives. Nevertheless, great job, Amy!
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

I would not appreciate having to read passages akin to a Shakespearean soliloquy in a novel such a this. Your rating of 2 out of 5 stars is very honest. I always deduct stars if I have to suffer through a book. The author needs to know this. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Luman »

Claudia Angelucci wrote: 21 May 2024, 18:13 Thanks for the review! Sorry to hear the book didn't quite hit the mark for you. I completely understand your point about lengthy and confusing narratives. Nevertheless, great job, Amy!
It would have been much better had it not been so long. :banana-parachute:
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Luman »

Gerry Steen wrote: 21 May 2024, 18:50 I would not appreciate having to read passages akin to a Shakespearean soliloquy in a novel such a this. Your rating of 2 out of 5 stars is very honest. I always deduct stars if I have to suffer through a book. The author needs to know this. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
The premise of the novel was good, but the execution was sorely lacking. :banana-rock:
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

The increasing presence of AI surpassing humans in literature is a growing concern. I'm sorry that the book did not meet your expectations and felt lengthy. Despite this, there were aspects, like the ideas found in Dune, that you enjoyed.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Luman »

David Awunor wrote: 24 May 2024, 01:50 The increasing presence of AI surpassing humans in literature is a growing concern. I'm sorry that the book did not meet your expectations and felt lengthy. Despite this, there were aspects, like the ideas found in Dune, that you enjoyed.
I did enjoy some of it. I am a great supporter of AI, as long as it’s handled properly. :banana-rainbow:
Kareen Hez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareen-hez.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Kareen Hez »

The summary suggests the book has an interesting plot, and even the cover seems appealing. However, it's a pity that such a great book has some drawbacks such as being unsuitably lengthy at times. Thank you for the informative review, though! :tiphat:
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

This idea is a legitimate concern many of us have for a dystopian future. What a shame it turned into such a cumbersome read. Perhaps if the author had put his musings in a section at the end of the book, 'for those who are interested' it would have made it a better read for you.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Luman »

Kareen Hez wrote: 24 May 2024, 10:53 The summary suggests the book has an interesting plot, and even the cover seems appealing. However, it's a pity that such a great book has some drawbacks such as being unsuitably lengthy at times. Thank you for the informative review, though! :tiphat:
This was not my favorite book, but I was intrigued by the use of AI. :banana-skier:
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Luman »

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 24 May 2024, 22:30 This idea is a legitimate concern many of us have for a dystopian future. What a shame it turned into such a cumbersome read. Perhaps if the author had put his musings in a section at the end of the book, 'for those who are interested' it would have made it a better read for you.
This entire book would have been better had it not been so long. :banana-stoner:
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

If I was human and lived in a world where humans didn't care that AI was taking, I would totally move out if society and start my own civilization. I feel greatly threatened by AI and have a feeling that it will one day be a reason for our doom. I loved your review though
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Luman »

Risper Ouma Anyango wrote: 28 May 2024, 09:19 If I was human and lived in a world where humans didn't care that AI was taking, I would totally move out if society and start my own civilization. I feel greatly threatened by AI and have a feeling that it will one day be a reason for our doom. I loved your review though
Thanks for commenting! :banana-wrench:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”