Review of Obsidian Tomorrow

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephen Christopher 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Review of Obsidian Tomorrow

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Obsidian Tomorrow" by Chad Wannamaker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if aliens abducted you, altered you slightly so that you didn’t know you had been, and then asked you to return to Earth and do their bidding? That’s the central storyline in Chad Wannamaker’s Obsidian Tomorrow: The Storm.

The story begins in Seattle, Washington, where Brad, Jack, and Larry enjoy their usual monthly gathering at the 13 Coins Bar and Grill. On their way back to the car, they encounter enigmatic, towering figures who whisk Jack and a waitress named Maddy to an undisclosed location with a single touch of what appears to be a stone.

Daniel, Fletcher, and Rafe experience the same thing in Waimea, Hawaii, and Century City, California. Once there, the five captives gradually discover why they’re there and who they’re dealing with. After hearing what the aliens have in mind for them, they realize they’re all from different ethnic groups and wonder about the significance of that.

Meanwhile, back in Seattle, the police are searching for Jack’s friend Larry, whose wife has been found murdered. Larry ends up at Brad’s place, seeking refuge, but is Brad his friend or a traitor?

I found the characters' responses in the various storylines to be quite relatable. They didn’t seem contrived or unnatural; they were precisely what you or I might say and do if faced with any of the situations that unfolded.

The story is compelling enough to make me read one chapter after another. At only 189 pages, it was a quick read for me. I can say that after reading this book, I’ll never look at the Easter Island statues the same way again.

So here’s what I didn’t like. I understand the concept of borrowing from other sci-fi books, but having a villain outright use the phrase, ‘Resistance is futile,’ which all sci-fi fans will know is the catchphrase of the Borgs in Star Trek irked me. A little more imagination is needed to create something unique for the villains in this story.

The book has a rather abrupt ending; none of the questions are answered, and more are created at the last minute. No doubt this is to encourage readers to get the sequel, which I have looked for but can’t seem to find yet. Obsidian Tomorrow: The Storm is subtitled as Book 1, so the next one may still be a work in progress. If it does appear, I’d be keen to read it, as I’m hooked enough to want to know what happens next.

The book is exceptionally edited. I spotted only one missed period. I applaud the author for taking such pride in his work. Despite the Star Trek ‘borrowing’ and the abrupt ending, there’s not enough there for me to remove any stars, so Obsidian Tomorrow: The Storm gets a 5 out of 5 stars from me.

I recommend the book to sci-fi mystery lovers, but if you like things wrapped up, be prepared to read future books in the series. There’s a lot of swearing, some violence, and a bloody crime scene, so this story may not suit younger readers.

Obsidian Tomorrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Stephen, great review as usual. I had started reading a sample of this book a few months ago. I remember that I was captivated by the restaurant scene at the beginning of the book. For me to remember this months later means that the author writes a good story. However, I prefer books that can stand alone and do not require me to wait and read the next book to find out what happens. I did notice that the editing was exceptional like you stated. Have a good day! :techie-studyinggray:
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti
2024 Reading Goal: 75
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

Totally rad review from my favorite Online Book Club Thailander (Thailandian?)
I’m with Gerry, I recall reading a sample of this book! So fascinating about never seeing the Easter Island statues the same way again.
Makes me slightly nuts when an author sets up a future sequel with an abrupt ending and then the sequel isn’t yet released. I NEED TO KNOW! WHAT HAPPENS! LOL
Stephen Christopher 1

Gerry Steen wrote: 22 May 2024, 06:27 Stephen, great review as usual. I had started reading a sample of this book a few months ago. I remember that I was captivated by the restaurant scene at the beginning of the book. For me to remember this months later means that the author writes a good story. However, I prefer books that can stand alone and do not require me to wait and read the next book to find out what happens. I did notice that the editing was exceptional like you stated. Have a good day! :techie-studyinggray:
Thanks Gerry for your continued support. Yes I would have been ok if the sequel was available, the fact that I can't find it anywhere suggests to me that it's a long way off. That makes the ending more frustrating.
Stephen Christopher 1

Dana Lawrence Lohn wrote: 22 May 2024, 10:19 Totally rad review from my favorite Online Book Club Thailander (Thailandian?)
I’m with Gerry, I recall reading a sample of this book! So fascinating about never seeing the Easter Island statues the same way again.
Makes me slightly nuts when an author sets up a future sequel with an abrupt ending and then the sequel isn’t yet released. I NEED TO KNOW! WHAT HAPPENS! LOL
Exactly! Lol I even put in my Amazon review for the author 'please write the sequel asap' lol. Hehe the nationality of people here is Thai, but yeah I guess I'm a Thailandian haha.
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

The authenticity captured in this story, as described in the review, is a quality I always find fascinating in books. Just because it references a popular quote from Star Trek doesn't diminish its uniqueness; it could very well be inspired by it. Another very detailed review, as expected.
Stephen Christopher 1

David Awunor wrote: 24 May 2024, 02:07 The authenticity captured in this story, as described in the review, is a quality I always find fascinating in books. Just because it references a popular quote from Star Trek doesn't diminish its uniqueness; it could very well be inspired by it. Another very detailed review, as expected.
I know what you're saying, just the way that it was used in this book, was exactly as it would have been used in Star Trek, so I felt it was borrowed unfairly.
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Anu Anand »

This book sounds like my kind of read... fast-paced and engaging with a curious plot. Your insights made me excited to dive into it. I have added it to my TBR list.
As always, your review is very engaging and insightful. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book.
Kareen Hez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareen-hez.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Kareen Hez »

Sounds like a fascinating book for a sci-fi book lover like me. But if this is part of a series and the next installments aren't released yet, I might wait until they are. Regardless, you've done an excellent job in reviewing the book. Well done! :tiphat:
Stephen Christopher 1

Anu Anand wrote: 25 May 2024, 00:19 This book sounds like my kind of read... fast-paced and engaging with a curious plot. Your insights made me excited to dive into it. I have added it to my TBR list.
As always, your review is very engaging and insightful. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book.
Hi Anu, I'm so glad you dropped by, I had a feeling this book would be one you'd enjoy. Let's hope the sequel is forthcoming, I need answers haha.
Stephen Christopher 1

Kareen Hez wrote: 25 May 2024, 03:03 Sounds like a fascinating book for a sci-fi book lover like me. But if this is part of a series and the next installments aren't released yet, I might wait until they are. Regardless, you've done an excellent job in reviewing the book. Well done! :tiphat:
Hehe, I sure hope the author reads all these comments about how much we all need his sequel. I almost with I'd done what you're planning and waited.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

When I began to read this review I was convinced that I would really enjoy this book. By the time I got to the end, however, I was not as sure. I don’t like books that end without clear closure. While the sequel may well take care of the questions involved, it is too big of a risk for me. Thanks!
Stephen Christopher 1

Amy Luman wrote: 26 May 2024, 16:00 When I began to read this review I was convinced that I would really enjoy this book. By the time I got to the end, however, I was not as sure. I don’t like books that end without clear closure. While the sequel may well take care of the questions involved, it is too big of a risk for me. Thanks!
I totally get it! If I ever hear of a sequel being released, I'll come back and alert everyone here. It's a shame as the first book is excellent, just too much is left hanging.
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 112%

Post by RJ Reviews »

Oh I wouldn't fancy getting abducted by an alien and being altered to do their bidding. So this book definitely catches my attention. I always appreciate efficient editing and is happy to find this book free of errors. Your insightful review points out all the important plotlines, thank you for that. Will surely add this to my tbr.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Stephen Christopher 1

RJ Reviews wrote: 27 May 2024, 12:31 Oh I wouldn't fancy getting abducted by an alien and being altered to do their bidding. So this book definitely catches my attention. I always appreciate efficient editing and is happy to find this book free of errors. Your insightful review points out all the important plotlines, thank you for that. Will surely add this to my tbr.
RJ I think you'd enjoy this book. There's a lot going on and it's page-turning.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”