Review of Time for PSyQ

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Review of Time for PSyQ

Post by Gerry Steen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Time for PSyQ" by Marti Ward.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever been curious about psychic visions, premonitions, and quantum entanglement? Have you ever heard of police forces hiring people with these abilities to help solve a crime? Would you like to have a glimpse of what it is like for people who have these abilities? If you answered yes to these questions, you should read Time for PsyQ by Marti Ward.

The introduction to this book was bright, humorous, and filled me with anticipation and curiosity. I gathered that this book would appeal to science enthusiasts, children aged 10 and above, and open-minded adults. I expected to learn some interesting scientific facts while reading an engaging story.

This was a story about gifted children and their pets. Their gifts included the capacity to have visions in multiple dimensions of time and space and to share visions through quantum entanglement with other human beings and pets. Governments and police departments were interested in these special abilities due to their usefulness in solving crimes and engaging in espionage.

Airlie was 11 years old. She realized she had a special brain after dreaming about a theft at her school. She discerned she knew the perpetrator without having seen him commit the crime. She could go back in time and visualize the crime scene from different vantage points. Later, she cooperated with the local police force to try to find an abducted girl and her seeing-eye dog. The police could not apprehend suspects based on Airlie's visions alone. However, these visions could be used as leads to open an investigation and organize surveillance. Since the kidnapped girl was blind, quantum entanglement came into play. Airlie telepathically trained the blind girl to share her dog's sight. Airlie gathered clues from the dog's sight to share with the police.

The plot showed how gifted people were recruited, trained, evaluated, and able to help the police force solve a crime. The plot developed at a nice pace until chapter 17. The story became very detailed and sterile. I had to take a break after each chapter because I was bored.

I was intrigued by the science of quantum entanglement. The plot was good but should have maintained its steady pace with fewer details. The editing was excellent. The addition of an appendix was a brilliant idea. It included sections with definitions and resources for brain science, hardware, software, quantum science, particle accelerators, and further reading. Because I struggled to stay interested in the story, I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars.

Time for PSyQ
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The premise of this book looks interesting, considering the themes it addresses are about psychic visions, premonitions, and quantum entanglement? . Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

As you said, the plot has all the interesting things. A better storyline would have made the book fantastic.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Off Limits by Stacy Elaine
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Laney K »

The premise sounds interesting, but with the overload of detail partway through I don't think I'd enjoy this book.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I can always rely on you, Gerry, to tell it how it is. Getting bored with a book is becoming a little too common for me at the moment (maybe my expectations are too high???), so I appreciate the heads up here. While the idea sounds fun, the lead protagonist being an 11 you makes me feel this book might be a bit young for me.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am sorry that the book became so uninteresting. I’m not sure that I am totally comfortable with the abilities described within, but I am sure that I don’t agree with those here being used solely for their abilities. Thanks!
Ludovica Peruzzi
Currently Reading: Entanglement
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Blockhead by Kyle J.S. Bardell

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

This sounds like an interesting premise, and as you know I've also just finished a book about quantum entanglements that I absolutely loved, so I'm definitely in the mood for something along that same vein. Though you say the story became kinda boring at one point, I might still give it a try. The book having an appendix to quickly look up concept you don't understand must be so helpful for me, specifically, who understands nothing about physics and such, and will probably lead me to understand more about it than the other book :P Thanks for the review!
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Ludovica Peruzzi wrote: 22 May 2024, 10:52 This sounds like an interesting premise, and as you know I've also just finished a book about quantum entanglements that I absolutely loved, so I'm definitely in the mood for something along that same vein. Though you say the story became kinda boring at one point, I might still give it a try. The book having an appendix to quickly look up concept you don't understand must be so helpful for me, specifically, who understands nothing about physics and such, and will probably lead me to understand more about it than the other book :P Thanks for the review!
Ludoviva, I am sure you will learn something from this book. You will come away with a better understanding by reading the appendix. :techie-studyinggray:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Gerry Steen wrote: 22 May 2024, 13:25
Ludovica Peruzzi wrote: 22 May 2024, 10:52 This sounds like an interesting premise, and as you know I've also just finished a book about quantum entanglements that I absolutely loved, so I'm definitely in the mood for something along that same vein. Though you say the story became kinda boring at one point, I might still give it a try. The book having an appendix to quickly look up concept you don't understand must be so helpful for me, specifically, who understands nothing about physics and such, and will probably lead me to understand more about it than the other book :P Thanks for the review!
Ludoviva, I am sure you will learn something from this book. You will come away with a better understanding by reading the appendix. :techie-studyinggray:
Sorry I misspelt your name Ludovica. :?
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Anu Anand »

The theme of psychic visions, premonitions, and quantum entanglement sounds incredibly interesting. I love stories that mix science fiction with real-world science. The idea of gifted children having these extraordinary abilities is fascinating. Thank you, Gerry, for giving such a detailed overview of the book.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Great review, Gerry! I read this lovely book some time ago and enjoyed it as well. Although it's targeted toward young adults, I think I rated it 4 stars—I guess I was a bit more generous, haha! Anyway, I understand your perspective. All the best!
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Silo 42: Deception by Zev Paiss
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 640%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you for your wonderful review, Gerry. The topic can be difficult and complex, especially if it goes deeper into the science behind quantum. I am glad that there are good and humours parts.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Musliudeen Taiwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musliudeen-taiwo.html
Latest Review: Women of Fire and Snow by Nati del Paso

Post by Musliudeen Taiwo »

Thanks for the great review Gerry.Reading your reviews will make me add this book to my bookshelf.
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: The Cannoli Caper by Jeff V Erickson
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

This book sounds very interesting, and I wish I had gotten to read it. However, I am happy you enjoyed reading it yourself. The author must be quite fortunate to have their book reviewed by a talented reviewer like you. Good job, always.
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti
2024 Reading Goal: 75
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

Awesome premise, this book … I was midway through the review, thinking, how many kids have I been around in my life that have what is essentially this superpower!?! … but if it can’t hold Gerry’s attention because of inconsistent pacing, that’s a concern. I really do love the premise and it’s great that the editing is tight.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”