Review of The Successful Business Startup Action Guide

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Review of The Successful Business Startup Action Guide

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Successful Business Startup Action Guide" by Husam S. AlSaleh.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Successful Business Startup Action Guide" by Husam S. AlSaleh tells the story of a successful business startup guide. He connected it with his own personal journey in starting his own business.

Ordinary business books were usually written by white people. This fresh perspective makes this book interesting because it offers the perspective of an Arab. It was solidified by the fact that he had studied business at Harvard and London.

Reading this book, I am reminded of my university days, when the startup wave was happening post-pandemic. At that time, many naive students thought that all we needed was an idea and investors to make our business big. There were many startup seminars, boot camps, motivational books, pitching events, and even many business competitions promising to connect us with angel investors.

Sadly, most of them never succeeded in turning those ideas into businesses. More than 80% of them eventually returned to the reality of the job market, working for stable local companies.

From there, I realized, though it took me some time to understand, that funds and ideas alone are not enough to make a business successful.

I liked the part where he recounted his business failures with a case study approach. He realistically tells of his failures, what factors contributed to them, and what solutions or lessons can be learned from each case.

I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 because of its emphasis on data-driven decision-making in business. I liked how he stressed the importance of looking at numerical data, not just qualitative data, in analyzing problems. Triangulation is needed; we need to find relationships between cases and objectively look at the facts.

He provided many real-life case studies from his own experiences. His business experiences and observations relate to fields such as security, oil, mining, and automobiles.

In the book, he also provides many tools and frameworks. Some examples include the Porter five framework, 360-degree feedback, Goldsmith methodology, the six central questions, building a culture of gratitude, and many more.

As a downside, this book is more of an introductory guide that discusses starting a business in general. I recommend this book for readers who are just starting their business journey. Deeper topics might require more specific books.

For an introductory guide, this book is comprehensive, concise, and easy to understand. Its interactive writing, flawless editing, and concise explanations make it enjoyable to read, even for beginners. Readers can consider this book as one of their milestones and the starting point for further research according to their business journey.

As the author said, entrepreneurship is a journey. Not every business will succeed, and not every path will always be smooth. What matters is that we learn from each stage. I appreciate the author of this book immensely. Thank you for writing this book.

The Successful Business Startup Action Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

Thats always the case Tomy . We impliment less and plan more it's more like human habit and it's bad and we should learn from it. This is a great read for anyone who wants to start a business successfully and wants to avoid many mistakes made by many during start up. I love this one, I would definitely go for it.
Be yourself and nothing less
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

Based on your review, this is a great book for beginners who are starting up their business. A good review.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Ashwini Tawade
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Embody Wholeness
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashwini-tawade.html
Latest Review: Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.

Post by Ashwini Tawade »

I have seen businesses, either with a back-up or a no-looking-back attitude and with the community's happiness as a priority, doing well. I will want to read books on business and start-up strategies. So, I will choose this one. Your review is good and helpful.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Foundlings and Fisherman from Tumby by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Great job with this review! I appreciate how you highlighted the author's real-life case studies and emphasis on data-driven decision-making.
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

This review of "The Successful Business Startup Action Guide" by Husam S. AlSaleh effectively captures the book's unique perspective and practical approach to entrepreneurship. The contrast between typical business literature and AlSaleh's fresh viewpoint as an Arab entrepreneur, enriched by his Harvard and London education, adds a compelling dimension. Your reflection on the post-pandemic startup wave and the hard lessons learned about the realities of business success resonates deeply. The emphasis on data-driven decision-making and real-life case studies from diverse industries underscores the book's practical value. While noting the book's introductory nature, you rightly appreciate its comprehensive, concise, and accessible style for beginners. Your recognition of entrepreneurship as a journey with valuable lessons at every stage encapsulates the book's core message. This insightful review not only praises the book's merits but also offers a relatable perspective for aspiring entrepreneurs.
Tomi Ahmed
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading: Secrets of the Kashmir Valley
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

The reality is that not all businesses will succeed, even though we often believe ours will be different. I appreciate that the author relies on data to make informed decisions in business, which is a major reason why most successful businesses thrive. This book addresses beginners in the entrepreneurial world and provides examples to build upon. The concept of the book is excellent, and I appreciate you highlighting its pros and cons. Typically, business books are written by white authors, but this one offers the perspective of an Arab, which is refreshing. I look forward to diving into this unique perspective. Thank you for the great review.
That I may know Him :arrow: Philippians 3:10
Gayatri Tripathi
Favorite Book: E M P Honeymoon
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayatri-tripathi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Gayatri Tripathi »

Your review of "The Successful Business Startup Action Guide" by Husam S. AlSaleh is insightful and well-articulated. You effectively highlight the unique perspective the author brings, which adds significant value to the genre of business startup guides.

Your reflection on your own experiences during the post-pandemic startup wave provides a relatable context for many readers. It emphasizes the harsh realities and common misconceptions about starting a business, which aligns well with the lessons shared in the book. This personal touch not only enhances your review but also helps potential readers see the practical relevance of the book's content.

Your appreciation for the author’s realistic recounting of business failures and the case study approach is particularly noteworthy. It underscores the importance of learning from failures and making data-driven decisions, which are crucial for any aspiring entrepreneur. Highlighting the emphasis on both numerical and qualitative data, as well as the need for triangulation, adds depth to your review and showcases the practical, actionable advice provided in the book.

Your praise for the various tools and frameworks discussed, such as the Porter five framework and the Goldsmith methodology, indicates that the book is well-researched and comprehensive. This gives readers confidence that they will gain valuable insights and practical tools that can be applied in real-world business scenarios.

Acknowledging the book's role as an introductory guide and recommending it specifically for beginners is thoughtful and helps set the right expectations. Your note about the need for more specific books for deeper topics further enhances the credibility of your review, as it provides a balanced perspective.

Your final thoughts on entrepreneurship as a journey and the importance of learning from each stage resonate well with the overarching theme of the book. This positive and appreciative tone rounds out your review beautifully, leaving readers with a strong impression of the book’s value.

Thank you for sharing such a comprehensive and engaging review. It certainly makes "The Successful Business Startup Action Guide" sound like a valuable resource for anyone at the beginning of their entrepreneurial journey.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

I am glad that this book written by an Arabic entrepreneur and author is getting this well-deserved attention. As a rule, I like to read well-written non-fiction books with a self-help theme. From your review, I can trust that this is one such book. I have spent my life pondering the idea of starting a business. I am now retired. I guess it is never too late to learn! :techie-studyinggray:
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 153%

Post by Martina Sette »

That sounds cool! It offers a refreshing, data-driven perspective on entrepreneurship, enriched by personal experiences and practical tools, making it a standout business resource. Great review!
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

I am not currently trying to start my own business, but this book sounds like a helpful guide for someone who is interested in doing so. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed reading it.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Rajaee »

Running a business is many people's desire. But as hard as it is, the truth is, majority are failing. As an introductory guide, I hope this will be helpful for the beginners. As I don't have any plans for starting a business, this book is of no use to me. But I would recommend this to my acquaintances.
Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Ludovica Peruzzi
Currently Reading: Entanglement
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Blockhead by Kyle J.S. Bardell

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

I don't think this book will be up my alley, but it is interesting how we finally see an Arab perspective on a white-dominated field. I'd be curious to see if there's a significant difference in approach, if anything, but I just don't know enough to judge. Well done highlighting the strengths of this book though, this was a good review!
Jones Mwaniki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jones-mwaniki.html
Latest Review: It's None of Your Business by Jordan K. Michaels
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 300%

Post by Jones Mwaniki »

This review is informative about the book. To say the truth, things have been changing post the pandemic, and the business sector is one of them. I like the mention of updated views, which I also agree is important, among other things, in starting an entrepreneurial business.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Silo 42: Deception by Zev Paiss
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 640%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Fnatastic review! I agree with you and entrepreneurship is not easy. The majority fails. The book helps to understand the journey.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”