Review of Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Review of Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape)

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape)" by Steve William Laible.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Billy Jack the Great Escape" by Steve William Laible is one of the children's books that I find interesting.

Billy's perspective on finding his identity, contrasting naptime rules with his own, becomes an engaging dialogue. Billy seems to speak to us, inviting readers to see things from his perspective as imaginative children full of curiosity about new things.

I like the way the author describes Billy's character. He provides photos depicting his childhood. The figure taken from the real world, portrayed with childhood photos, allows us to imagine Billy's character well.

Set against the backdrop of the U.S., this book tells the story of Billy's adventure escaping naptime. In many ways, I can agree with Billy's perspective. As a child, I disliked being told to take a nap. Billy's adventure might be something every child forced to take a nap around the world would want to do.

Billy introduces us to his surroundings while also sharing reflections on his experiences. The book is written with vivid descriptions, engaging all the senses and explaining each of his experiences in simple and understandable language.

In some parts of the book, the author provides illustrations to help readers visualize what Billy perceives. The author includes images like police cars, shadows, Rambo, and many more.

This book deserves a rating of 5 out of 5 for its interesting and easy-to-understand explanations, descriptive portrayal, flawless editing, and imaginative depiction of Billy's character.

If there are any drawbacks to this book, reading it may need to be guided by adults. Some of Billy's plans may not set a good example for children, potentially leading them to disregard parental advice. Some vocabulary in the book may also be challenging for young children to understand, so it's important for parents to help their child with it.

I appreciate the author's effort to provide explanations for new vocabulary and to provide simple illustrations or explanations related to new words. This book is designed to enhance children's knowledge and imagination, making it enjoyable to read.

I recommend this book as a children's book that can be read together by parents and children. They can make reading this book a discussion activity while learning about new things in the book.

Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Rajaee »

I like that the author uses illustrations to help the readers visualize what Billy perceives. It could be very helpful for children to enjoy the book when they read it. But the author could have avoided the challenging vocabulary as it is a children's book. Overall, this would be an adventurous read for children and a nostalgic one for the parents.
It is a good review. It gave me a clear idea of the book.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I enjoyed this book very much. Like you said, adult guidance is required for some kids while reading this book.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Foundlings and Fisherman from Tumby by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Great review! This book brought many warm feelings to my heart. The inclusion of candid photos of Billy Jack, along with his family and house, really brought the story to life for me, adding a personal and intimate touch.
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

This review of "Billy Jack the Great Escape" by Steve William Laible beautifully captures the charm and imaginative spirit of the book. The exploration of Billy's perspective on identity and naptime rules is particularly engaging, making it relatable for both children and adults. The inclusion of childhood photos adds a tangible connection to Billy's character, enhancing the reader's ability to visualize and empathize with him. The vivid descriptions and sensory details bring Billy's adventures to life, making the story both entertaining and immersive. Your observation about the need for adult guidance is thoughtful, highlighting the importance of context and discussion in children's literature. The book's potential to expand children's vocabulary and stimulate their imagination is commendable. Overall, your review effectively conveys the book's strengths and offers valuable insights for parents looking to enrich their children's reading experience through shared reading and discussion.
Tomi Ahmed
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading: Secrets of the Kashmir Valley
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

"Billy Jack the Great Escape" by Steve William Laible is a children's book that tells the story of Billy Jack's choices as a kid and how he manages to avoid nap time. I'm interested in checking this out to see if it's a good fit for teaching kids. Thanks for pointing out that it requires adult supervision—I agree, as many children's books today can also appeal to adults. I like that the book has visual representations to capture children's interest and help them retain the details of things read. I appreciate your honest review.
That I may know Him :arrow: Philippians 3:10
Ashwini Tawade
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Embody Wholeness
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashwini-tawade.html
Latest Review: Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.

Post by Ashwini Tawade »

This book will be good for me and my son to read. I will check it out. Thank you for your review. It tells what the book is about, its suitability, and its advantages. Keep up the good work!
Gayatri Tripathi
Favorite Book: E M P Honeymoon
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayatri-tripathi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Gayatri Tripathi »

Your review of "Billy Jack the Great Escape" by Steve William Laible is both detailed and thoughtful, capturing the essence of the book and its appeal to young readers. Your insights into Billy's perspective and how it resonates with children's natural curiosity and aversion to naptime are very relatable and engaging.

The way you describe the author's use of childhood photos to bring Billy's character to life is compelling. It highlights how these visual elements help readers connect more deeply with the story and imagine themselves in Billy's shoes. Your appreciation for the vivid descriptions and the way the book engages all the senses shows how well the author has succeeded in creating an immersive experience for children.

You also point out the importance of the illustrations in helping readers visualize Billy's adventures. This is a crucial aspect of children's books, and your emphasis on the effectiveness of these illustrations is valuable feedback for other readers and potential buyers.

Your rating of 5 out of 5 is well-supported by your praise for the book's easy-to-understand language, descriptive portrayal, and flawless editing. Your suggestion that some parts of the book might need adult guidance is a considerate and important note. It shows your awareness of the potential impact of Billy's actions on young readers and the need for parental involvement to provide context and ensure understanding.

The mention of the author's efforts to explain new vocabulary and provide illustrations for new words is particularly useful. It highlights the educational value of the book and the author's intention to enhance children's knowledge and imagination.

Recommending the book as a shared reading experience for parents and children is an excellent idea. It underscores the book's potential to foster discussions and learning opportunities, making the reading experience more enriching and enjoyable.

Thank you for sharing such a comprehensive and insightful review. It certainly makes "Billy Jack the Great Escape" sound like a delightful and valuable read for children and their parents!
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

This looks like a mischievous and adventurous child and I like kids like that. They are the light of the house. Him deciding to venture on a journey of discovery on his own and sbwakung out at night to get it done shows just how madly naive the Billy is. His character drives the entire book and that's a good thing. It's a must read.
Be yourself and nothing less
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Your review makes a good case for a parent to include this book in a repertoire for their children. Billy Jack is an exciting figure who the children will be able to identify with. I am curious: What age group is this book appropriate for? :techie-studyinggray:
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 153%

Post by Martina Sette »

I've read this book. It's a delightful, engaging book for children, capturing their imaginative adventures and perspectives wonderfully. Perfect for young readers.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

This sounds like a book that my son would like when he is a little older. Even now, as a toddler he is not very interested in nap time.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Ludovica Peruzzi
Currently Reading: Entanglement
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Blockhead by Kyle J.S. Bardell

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

I'm not into children's books and don't have children of my own, so I hardly have to seek them out, but this looks like a nice first read for a kid - like one of those books teachers would use to try and get them interested in reading. Kids will definitely relate to the protagonist and his need for freedom and adventure, so they might like it. Thanks for the review!
Jones Mwaniki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jones-mwaniki.html
Latest Review: It's None of Your Business by Jordan K. Michaels
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 300%

Post by Jones Mwaniki »

This review tells me this work appears to be a good book for children. I believe that it is informative to parents as well, to learn how to coerce children into agreeing with their naptime. I believe it also allows a reader to get into the mind of their child and to understand their reasonings.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Silo 42: Deception by Zev Paiss
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 640%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thanks for your sweet review. I enjoyed this book too. So, you are like the protagonist and prefer adventures to sleep :)
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”