Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: What Happened To Flynn by Pat Muir

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The narrative started with the unjust accusation of Lord Orlin, who vehemently denies committing the grave crime in Voulhire, punishable by death. The accuser, Magistrate Meldorath, heightens the tension in the kingdom. As the news spreads, the citizens of Voulhire call for King Wilhelm's intervention, demanding justice. The king faces a dilemma as he is pressured to heed the public's outcry or risk their discontent due to the severe nature of the alleged crime. King Wilhelm never trusted Meldorath; even after he was conferred lordship, this led to the political landscape becoming increasingly complex. Meanwhile, the narrative introduces Galen, the main protagonist, who embarks on a journey from the land of the princes to Voulhire. His quest is to locate an uncle he has never met. Upon reaching his destination, Galen discovers that his uncle has left him with a substantial responsibility. Despite everything, Galen begins to develop a profound connection with this city.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is an intriguing narrative that unfolds with an introduction of diverse characters and unexpected plot developments. The story takes root in Castle Hillport, where Magistrate Meldorath's accusations against Lord Orlin set the stage for a sinister plot and a town forever changed. The political and societal nuances depicted in Voulhire add layers of complexity to the storyline, demonstrating Tysz's attention to detail and dedication to creating a fully realized fictional world.

One of the standout characters in the book is undoubtedly Rowan, and my affinity for him stems from the pivotal role he plays in Galen's journey within the narrative. Rowan's presence becomes a comforting anchor for Galen as he navigates the unfamiliar terrain of the new city. The camaraderie between the two is not merely a superficial companionship; rather, it is a deeply woven thread that runs through the entire storyline.

There is nothing I didn’t like about the book, and I found no errors in it. I love this book primarily due to its exceptionally original storyline. In a literary landscape often saturated with familiar tropes and narratives, the book stands out as a beacon of uniqueness. The author, Matthew Tysz, has crafted a plot that defies conventional expectations, offering readers a fresh and innovative journey through the realms of storytelling. For me, being immersed in a story that breaks free from the mold of predictability is a gratifying experience.

This book is excellently edited. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. In my evaluation, I deducted one star due to the abundance of characters, recognizing that for some readers, this might pose a navigational challenge. It's essential for readers to stay attuned to the intricate web of relationships and developments, as failure to do so could lead to a sense of being lost in the narrative. I recommend this book to fans of epic fantasy with a mix of adventure, mystery, political drama, and sci-fiction.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomi Ahmed
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

The book review you shared delves into the intricate web of politics and relationships within the kingdom of Voulhire. The tension surrounding Lord Orlin's accusation and King Wilhelm's dilemma adds depth to the narrative. Galen's journey and the introduction of characters like Rowan bring a sense of connection and intrigue to the story. The author's attention to detail in depicting the political and societal nuances of Voulhire showcases a well-developed fictional world. It seems like a captivating read with a rich tapestry of characters and plot twists.
Tomi Ahmed
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I have read lots of reviews of this novel before and have considered reading it for myself many times. Your review, however, is the first one to concentrate on characters other than Galen and his uncle’s friend. I’m going to take the leap. Thanks!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”