Review of The Mercury Mind

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti
2024 Reading Goal: 75
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Review of The Mercury Mind

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mercury Mind" by Nathan Lancry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Nathan Landry's The Mercury Mind: How Harnessing Attraction Beyond Your Control is the Key to Better Relationships, Fulfilling Careers, and Your Most Powerful Self has a thoroughly explanatory title. It is a rare book in that the content delivers as powerfully as its headline. Landry has done an exceptional job describing concepts of cognitive behavioral therapy, thought framing, and personal empowerment in a way that applies to a layperson reader. This book speaks to "authentic attractions" and discovering our subconscious selves, and yes, I found this book to be tremendously authentically attractive.

Landry has a seemingly simple premise. He posits that "when we embrace what we truly want and act with integrity from a place of love, we strengthen ourselves physically and mentally, and can accomplish things we thought were impossible." That feels inspiring and true! That said, what do we do with that awareness? How do we bring it to life? The author provides advice on practical application, spanning neuroscience to behavioral psychology.

"The Mercury Mind" returns frequently to a new concept to me, that of open and closed mental cycles. Landry is convincing in his argument that many individuals prematurely close mental cycles. They revert to the easy answers that produce minimal discomfort. Landry powerfully puts forward that the easy way is often not the best.

I rate this book a 4 out of 5 for stylistic reasons. The themes and messages are incredibly moving. Landry's writing style, however, tends toward five or six analogies when two or three would suffice. He relies on an unrelenting and rhythmic repeat of examples to illustrate points. He doesn't need to do that, as he has a beautiful command of language. He analogizes freezing corks to the bottling of our desires. I raise a glass of wine to that evocative image.

This book has a beautiful, clever cover. Many of us who review often know how rare an elegant cover can be! I was inspired to research the artistic design origins of the graphics. Micah Kandros Design deserves credit for the work. It is the third cover project the agency has completed for Nathan Landry and his team. I do not benefit from this mention financially. I do not personally know Micah or Nathan. I was inspired enough by the covers at micahkandrosdesign.com to encourage others, including authors, to check them out.

The Mercury Mind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Silo 42: Deception by Zev Paiss
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 640%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you very much @Dana Lawrence Lohn for your review! You point out the concept of open and closed mental cycles. It seems they go toward comfort zone and attitude to learn. It is an interesting book.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

This is an excellent review of what seems to be a very intriguing book. I completely agree about the cover; I love it. Have a wonderful day, Dana!
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

I am curious about open and closed mental cycles and thought framing. I have always been a fan of cognitive behavioral therapy. Our mind and how we manage our thoughts is so important for creating a good roadmap by which to navigate our lives with. I am happy that you mentioned that there is a lot of repetition in the text. This is a weakness often encountered in self-help books. I am adding this book to my "to read" list. Thank you for another great review! :techie-studyinggray:
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

I also noticed the book's appealing cover; it looks really nice. The review was well-written, and I appreciate your writing style. The book seems excellent, especially since cognitive behavioral therapy are instresting components for me.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Runan »

Our minds usually resort to choosing a solution that causes minimal discomfort to us rather than going for an effective solution. It is so true! I would like to tap into my sub-conscious self too. I can totally relate to when authors use excessive analogies to make a point. It gets frustrating. This is the first time I've read genuine praise for a book cover in a review here at the Online Book Club. Your review is unique, and I like the choice of words you used in your review.
Runan
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

Interesting review. I like the premise of the book and your review supported my thoughts. Only few books delivers well and acceptable concepts about subconscious level.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”