Review of A Walk Through the Grapes

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Review of A Walk Through the Grapes

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Walk Through the Grapes" by David Jackson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When I first read the title, I thought it would just be a book about grapes and the usual winemaking. The more I read, the more touches of mystery, thriller, family drama, romance, comedy, and tragedy emerged.

The book was told from the perspective of Jace, the oldest child of the Grazer family, who returned home after two years chasing his dreams in the big city, back to his hometown in rural America.

As he tried to reconnect with his family, many conflicts arose in the story. Jace, who left when he was expected to continue the family business, disappoints his siblings. There were many conflicts and dissatisfactions shown by his family regarding the decisions he made.

As he began to mend relationships, new problems arose related to mystery, romance, and even murder. Among this family, there were many secrets they hide from Jace, making much of the book a process of Jace uncovering the hidden truths. The drama, set against the backdrop of a vineyard-owning family, became more colorful than just a story of a child-parent quarrel over a child's dream.

The story became more complex than just a family drama in Willow Creek. Jace was faced with the choice of returning to his old lover or finding new love. He also struggled to make peace with himself, not blaming himself for seemingly never achieving anything.

Drama after drama unfolds, with touches of comedy and romance. His family tried to protect him from various threats, even by hiding many things. Jace, of course, didn't want to sit idly by and continues to search for the puzzles hidden by his family. In the end, he found tragedies that might not have happened if he had chosen not to return. This left a deep mark on him, strengthening his resolve to improve himself.

The story has a bittersweet ending; alongside the tragedy, there was reconciliation and romance that envelop Jace's new life. These tragedies strengthened Jace's desire to choose a new path in his life.

This book is easy to read and has amazing, flawless, and perfect editing.

I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 because of its engaging and complex storyline. The author presents the complexity of life issues in the Grazer family with touches of humor, romance, mystery, and a hint of adult content.

One drawback of the book might be the somewhat slow plot at the beginning. The author tries to describe the background of events in the place, so the plot may move a bit slowly as a result. However, the story starts to become engaging towards the middle, making me unable to stop reading until the end.

Another drawback is the ending, which is left hanging, leaving the reader unaware of the continuation of the story. However, this could be a sign from the author that there will be a sequel. This would be exciting to follow.

This book is best read by older teenagers, as there are some parts that show a bit of adultery. I think these additions make the story about the vineyard entrepreneur family so realistic and relatable.

A Walk Through the Grapes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Harshitha Nayak
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

Well, what's better than having mystery thriller with family drama especially if it have redemption arc for main characters. It just feels like perfect blend of mysterious theme and delivered good book for readers.
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

The review covered every aspect of the book - from the bittersweet ending to the comedy, the intriguing plot, and the character development, making it a captivating read.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I have pondered over picking this book many times. Based on your review, I believe I would find this vineyard entrepreneur fiction interesting.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Bency Grace Bernabas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bency-grace-bernabas.html
Latest Review: Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.

Post by Bency Grace Bernabas »

Wonderfully written
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti
2024 Reading Goal: 75
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

OK does anyone else love watching Hallmark movies? This book sounds JUST like the plot of a Hallmark romance, complete with the vineyard, the return home from a big-city job, and the name - I mean, Jace! That is just beyond perfect. It does sound like a fun and heartwarming book and I always appreciate perfect editing. I will add this one to my list. Thanks for reviewing it, Tony!
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Foundlings and Fisherman from Tumby by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Great review! It's intriguing how the story weaves various genres, creating a rich tapestry of emotions and conflicts.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Like you I really enjoyed this book, it was one of the first ones that I read and reviewed. That family sure does have a lot of secrets. I felt satisfied with the ending and thought it was wrapped up well.
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Rajaee »

Although the plot seems interesting, I don't find it exciting to read it now. But, surely, the family discontents, hidden secrets, romance, murder, etc., in the book make it worth considering reading sometime in the future.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 153%

Post by Martina Sette »

The way you describe the unfolding drama and Jace's internal struggles adds depth to the narrative, making it clear that the story is much more than a family quarrel. Your insights into the character dynamics and the unexpected twists make me eager to dive into this intricate and captivating tale. Nice review!
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

This insightful review of "Willow Creek Vineyard" highlights its unexpected blend of genres, from mystery and thriller to family drama and romance. The protagonist, Jace, navigates complex relationships and uncovers hidden truths within his family, adding depth to the storyline set against the backdrop of a vineyard-owning family. Despite some initial pacing issues, the book earns a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 for its engaging plot, flawless editing, and realistic portrayal of life's complexities. While the ending leaves some threads unresolved, it hints at a potential sequel, adding anticipation for future developments. Recommended for older teenagers, the book's inclusion of adult themes adds realism and relatability to the narrative
Gayatri Tripathi
Favorite Book: E M P Honeymoon
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayatri-tripathi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Gayatri Tripathi »

Thank you for sharing your detailed review of this multifaceted novel centered around the Grazer family and their vineyard in rural America. Your insights into the various themes and dynamics within the story paint a vivid picture of its complexity and depth.

It's intriguing to hear how the book evolved beyond your initial expectations of a simple tale about grapes and winemaking. The addition of mystery, thriller elements, family drama, romance, comedy, and tragedy creates a rich tapestry that keeps readers engaged throughout.

The perspective of Jace, returning home after pursuing his dreams in the city, serves as a poignant lens through which we witness the conflicts and secrets of the Grazer family unfold. The tensions between Jace and his family over his departure and subsequent return add layers of realism and emotional depth to the narrative.

Your description of the family's hidden truths and Jace's journey to uncover them highlights the novel's intricate plot. The mix of drama, romance, and the revelation of mysteries keeps the story dynamic and compelling, drawing readers deeper into the Grazer family's world.

The bittersweet ending, with its blend of tragedy, reconciliation, and new beginnings for Jace, resonates well with the themes of personal growth and family dynamics explored throughout the book. Your appreciation for the author's storytelling prowess, characterized by engaging prose and flawless editing, reflects the quality of the novel's craftsmanship.

Your critique about the slow plot development at the beginning and the somewhat abrupt ending are valid points that potential readers will find insightful. However, your anticipation of a sequel adds an element of excitement for those who connect with the characters and storyline.

Overall, your review captures the essence of the novel and effectively communicates its strengths and minor drawbacks. Thank you for sharing your perspective, which will undoubtedly help other readers decide whether this book is right for them.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

It seems that Jace was a young man who was struggling to find his way as many young people today are. There is always an added level of pressure when one leaves the family business to explore other horizons. Add to that the discovery of family secrets and tragedy, and the journey to self-discovery become more complicated. A lot of people can identify with Jace's story. I am adding this book to my bookshelves. Thanks for this great review. :techie-studyinggray:
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 112%

Post by RJ Reviews »

A dramatic book that touches the themes of mystery, thriller, family drama, romance, comedy, and tragedy. Through Jace's attempt to reconnect with his family, we experience the heartbreak and frustration of both sides. I appreciate your efforts to present us with a detailed and engaging review. Thank you.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

Wow this is my favorite genre so yes you got my are. Your correct , the title can throw you off a bot I also thought it was about grapes and vineyards or even farming. I love the fact that you managed to finish the book and gained some insight. I will surely check this one out.
Be yourself and nothing less

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”