Review of Who Will Accompany You?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Review of Who Will Accompany You?

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Will Accompany You?" by Meg Stafford, Kate Stafford, Gale Stafford.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Who Will Accompany You?" by Meg Stafford told the story of her journey accompanying her daughters through Nepal, Bhutan, and Colombia.

Despite Meg's concerns about the trip, she became a supportive mother by accompanying her daughter through a journey that not everyone might dare to undertake. 

In this book, we will see many reflections from Meg's journaling notes during the journey, sharing internal and external struggles that occurred along the way. 

During the author's journey in Nepal and Bhutan with Kate, as well as her journey in Colombia with Gale, she reflected a lot on the surrounding culture, Buddhism, parenting, and her life reflections related to the people around her.

There are many unique stories, like her acquaintance who went to college in America and then returned to his hometown to enjoy life there. Their reflections on living with the local people in Colombia were also interesting, especially with the photos that make me want to visit there as well.

Every page gives me the impression that what I know about this world is still very little. I can empathize with her experience of learning meditation; for example, seeing outsiders' views on Buddhism as an interesting perspective.

She learned to distance herself from distractions, control emotions, and affirm every unpleasant experience as part of life. 

Her reflections on Buddha's teachings, such as karma, dharma, and anatta (non-self), reflected how one should learn such religion by questioning and proving the truth of those teachings.

Focusing on the present and learning by proving the dharma were often emphasized by Buddha in his teachings. Her story with her daughter in Colombia, when her daughter decided to work for an NGO, was also an interesting experience to follow.

Gale and Kate's journal writings also look different, with Gale, who is more mature, having better observations.

Despite that, the writings of these three people add a lot of personal touches that make us feel like we are with them. The photos provided further strengthen this effect. 

I give this book a 5 out of 5 because of its storytelling style, which makes us feel like we're experiencing it firsthand. The photos of her journey were also shared abundantly in the book, making us feel like we were being told by a close friend about the author's journey. 

I also give it a high rating because of the author's reflections during her parenthood. For example, when observing how Gale had to carefully convey information and maintain distance with the community she helped, the author did not become an overprotective parent; she became a supportive figure who allowed her child to face difficult conditions and feelings. 

I couldn't find anything to criticize. The flawless editing helps provide a pleasant reading experience. If there were any shortcomings, perhaps I would hope for the photos in the book to be in color to enhance the feeling experienced while reading this book. This would greatly add to the attractiveness of the book, like memoirs written by some travel storytellers. 

I recommend this book to travel story enthusiasts, especially those who want to embark on an interesting journey with their family. Those interested in traveling to these three countries will also gain many references and expectations from this book if they plan to visit these countries. 

Who Will Accompany You?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Tomi Ahmed
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

"Who Will Accompany You?" by Meg Stafford sounds like a truly inspiring journey, filled with personal growth and cultural exploration. Meg's dedication to accompanying her daughters through such diverse locations like Nepal, Bhutan, and Colombia showcases a deep level of support and courage. The reflections from her journaling notes offer a glimpse into her internal struggles and the profound experiences she encountered along the way. The blend of cultural insights, parenting reflections, and spiritual learnings seems to create a rich tapestry of storytelling that draws readers in and expands their worldview. It's amazing how stories like these can open our eyes to the vastness of the world and the depth of human experiences.
Tomi Ahmed
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

It seems more of like exploration journey, searching for their selves, mending the relationship. Finding the peace in different cultures, cherishing the nature. This kind of books gives hopes about life dynamic, cultural benefits, embracing which is good for us.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

It has a unique plot about mom, daughters, and travel. I would love to try this book.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Foundlings and Fisherman from Tumby by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Great review! Your enthusiasm for the storytelling and educational aspects of the book makes this seem like a must-read for travel enthusiasts and family adventurers alike.
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Rajaee »

It seems like an adventurous tale. I like that the mother is supportive and is letting her daughters face difficulties. It's definitely worth considering.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 153%

Post by Martina Sette »

This book provides an insightful look into her travels with her daughters through Nepal, Bhutan, and Colombia, blending cultural reflections, personal growth, and parenting insights. That's so interesting!
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

This glowing review of "Who Will Accompany You?" by Meg Stafford lauds its immersive storytelling and personal reflections, taking readers on a journey through Nepal, Bhutan, and Colombia. The reviewer appreciates the abundance of journaling notes and photos that enhance the reading experience, making them feel intimately connected to the author's travels. With a perfect rating of 5 out of 5, the book is praised for its insightful reflections on Buddhism, parenting, and life experiences, as well as its supportive portrayal of parenthood. While flawless editing enhances the reading journey, the reviewer suggests that color photos could further elevate the book's visual appeal. Overall, it's recommended for travel enthusiasts and those seeking inspiration for family journeys.
Gayatri Tripathi
Favorite Book: E M P Honeymoon
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayatri-tripathi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Gayatri Tripathi »

Your review of "Who Will Accompany You?" by Meg Stafford beautifully captures the essence of the author's journey through Nepal, Bhutan, and Colombia with her daughters. Your insights into the book's themes, reflections, and storytelling style paint a vivid picture of the enriching experiences Meg shares with her family.

The narrative of Meg's transformation from a concerned mother to a supportive companion on her daughters' journeys is compelling. Your description of Meg's journal entries and reflections during their travels highlights the internal and external challenges they faced, providing readers with a deeper understanding of the cultural, spiritual, and personal growth aspects of their adventures.

The cultural insights Meg offers, particularly in Nepal, Bhutan, and Colombia, add depth to the narrative. Your appreciation for the unique stories and encounters, such as interactions with locals and reflections on Buddhism, demonstrates the book's ability to broaden readers' perspectives about the world.

The inclusion of photos from their journey enhances the storytelling, making readers feel intimately connected to Meg's experiences. Your suggestion for color photos to further enhance the visual impact is constructive, as it would elevate the book's appeal, akin to travel memoirs that immerse readers in the sights and scenes of the author's travels.

Your praise for the book's flawless editing and engaging storytelling style is well-founded. The way Meg navigates parenthood and allows her daughters to explore and grow independently, while providing support from the sidelines, resonates with many readers. This aspect of the narrative reinforces themes of trust, growth, and familial bonds.

Overall, your review effectively communicates the strengths of "Who Will Accompany You?" and offers valuable insights for potential readers. Thank you for sharing your perspective and recommendations, which will undoubtedly help others appreciate and enjoy this book as much as you did.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

What a great experience it must have been for Meg to travel with each of her daughters and explore the unknown. This must bring people closer together and cause them to realize the importance of their interdependency. Sharing their experiences with the readers is a good way to allow the readership to experience the world of travel. Thanks for the review. :techie-studyinggray:
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 112%

Post by RJ Reviews »

A travel story that enlightens the readers about Buddha's teachings and other spiritual aspects is certainly intriguing. The bonding between Meg and her daughters strengthens through this incredible journey. I found your review to be insightful and captivating. Keep up the good work.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Ludovica Peruzzi
Currently Reading: Entanglement
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Blockhead by Kyle J.S. Bardell

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

This looks like such an interesting read. I love reading about different cultures, so a story about a family travelling through different countries and making new experiences together sounds right up my alley. Thanks for your review - I could really feel the love you have for this book in your words and I can totally understand the feeling that we still know so little about the world. There is so much to see and learn.
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Kybalion
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

An interesting read.
An incredible experience for a mother and her two daughters to take on such a journey which involves diarising their travels and sharing it through this book.
I am curious as to what informed the choices of the countries (Nepal, Bhutan, and Columbia).
Bhutan, I have no knowledge about, so this will no doubt allow me to learn about a new place, through their experiences.
I find Buddhist teachings interesting, and , again, it will be nice to learn through what the encounter ( in terms of reflection).
I like that their journal entries are different. This adds depth and perspective.
The photos are a beautiful addition.
Congratulations to the authors on sharing their unique experiences through this adventure 👏
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

It sounds like a wonderful book with themes of parenting, adventure and travel. I look forward to reading it. Thank you for your review!
Ashwini Tawade
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Embody Wholeness
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashwini-tawade.html
Latest Review: Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.

Post by Ashwini Tawade »

This is an amazing book. I found it very interesting. The experiences the authors shared in the book are incredible. I completely agree with your words about this book. Thank you for a beautiful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”