Review of Tour of Duty

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harshitha Nayak
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Review of Tour of Duty

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Tour of Duty" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The writer started narrating about Miles Ballard, a physician who came to France in 1960 to work at a US air base in Chateauroux, France.
He underwent a series of examinations and signed documents before being designated as his personal physician to Brigadier General Thomas, who would thereafter provide care for him and his family under the direction of hospital commender Colonel Springer. As he entered this field with the express purpose of helping people, he was really heartbroken to find himself obligated to serve a single individual, who certainly doesn't deserve his whole attention.

The narrative continues, and Miles meets a lot of amazing individuals who he quickly becomes friends with. This helped him achieve his ultimate aim of building a fantastic team to serve others.
After he settled in, he started looking for ways to develop the area. His first suggestion was to create a nuclear disaster training unit to help people protect themselves from attacks and to prepare the unit for higher casualties so that they could operate on a larger and more sensitive scale when necessary.
His supervisors believed that ideas are only valuable when they are in the head or on paper, which is why they prevented his ideas from receiving approval.
He was now presented with a significant issue. There was a significant problem with the repeal of suicide cases; he tried to get mental health care at the station but was strongly rejected. This sparked an investigation into the mystery surrounding suicidal cases, a power struggle between high authorities, and several other covert objectives. Nevertheless, he never wavered in his desire to aid the populace and carried on providing healing to a great number of individuals. Although there are many obstacles on his path, including political risks and pressure from higher authorities, his perseverance is what makes his journey most memorable.

His friends, who also want to help the people, are with him. One of them is Ingrid, who is writing a book on the Holocaust and compiling a history of Jewish families throughout the war. General Thomas's daughter, Alyce, collaborated with Ingrid on Ingrid's Holocaust piece while working as a writer for the International Herald Tribune, where she provided readers with objective news and firsthand accounts from the front lines.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. One of the great characteristics of story narration is the representation of the main character, Miles, as facing genuine problems, being determined, having goodwill aspiration, and having a serving attitude. Along with the side characters that gave the narrative good weight, we could relate to his unselfish path as a doctor. Making the connection to the story's flow was easy since the narration was so clear and simple to follow.
Miles and Ingrid's love affair was the difficult aspect that prevented me from giving it five stars. Because Ingrid was still married when they first developed feelings for one another, their pattern of connection wasn't entirely satisfactory. The suicide case wasn't solved, not even with hints; that track felt unfinished. Expect for these factors: the book was an excellent read, and the editing team did well in providing an error-free book for a good reading experience. I recommend this book to those who wish to know about military and selfless serving people.

Tour of Duty
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

I really enjoyed reading this book. I agree that the narration was clear and easy to follow. I found the character development to be first-rate. I learned a lot about the Cold War in 1960s Europe. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:

Gerry Steen wrote: 23 May 2024, 15:33 I really enjoyed reading this book. I agree that the narration was clear and easy to follow. I found the character development to be first-rate. I learned a lot about the Cold War in 1960s Europe. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
I'm glad that we both are on same page, yess the narration always the key, even simple story can fly High with good narrating skills.
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

Despite the drawbacks mentioned in the beautiful review, the book still sounds like a compelling read. The themes of selfless acts, perseverance and following one's dreams are great takeaways.
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

This review provides a thorough summary of the book's plot and characters while offering balanced praise and constructive criticism, making it informative and helpful for potential readers. It effectively communicates the reviewer's overall assessment and recommendation in a concise and straightforward manner.
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:

David Awunor wrote: 24 May 2024, 01:38 Despite the drawbacks mentioned in the beautiful review, the book still sounds like a compelling read. The themes of selfless acts, perseverance and following one's dreams are great takeaways.
Yes , it's about selfless man acts in professional life, how his morals plays role in betterment.
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:

MAHAD BAIG MIRZA wrote: 27 May 2024, 12:19 This review provides a thorough summary of the book's plot and characters while offering balanced praise and constructive criticism, making it informative and helpful for potential readers. It effectively communicates the reviewer's overall assessment and recommendation in a concise and straightforward manner.
Yess! It's always better give insight of what to Expect from the book. Thank you.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

Based on your review, I believe I would like this book. Would love to know more about Miles.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

At first I thought this might be a true story and someone's memoirs as it seems so realistic. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it's a novel. Wow, I think I'll give this one a read, thanks for the excellent review.
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Rajaee »

I am keen to know more about Miles. This character really moved me just from the review.
Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Silo 42: Deception by Zev Paiss
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 660%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you for your great review. I enjoyed seeing the story and how it develops, helping others. I appreciate your concerns about the love story and how part of the book is not fully solved.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”