Review of Magi Apprentice

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review of Magi Apprentice

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Magi Apprentice" by Dan E. Hendrickson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Magi Apprentice takes readers on a captivating historical fiction adventure set against the backdrop of the Parthian Empire in the years leading up to the birth of Jesus Christ. We meet Rassan, a privileged young military officer whose preordained path takes an unexpected turn when he encounters a dying Magi. The encounter throws Rassan's life into disarray. He finds himself drawn into the world of celestial prophecies and cryptic messages hidden within the stars. As Rassan becomes the apprentice of the wise Master Daraya-Vous, he embarks on a perilous quest to decipher the meaning behind a prophesied celestial event believed to herald the arrival of a great leader.

Hendrickson excels at weaving historical details with fictional elements. The world of the Parthian Empire comes alive with its political intrigue, cultural nuances, and religious beliefs. The inclusion of astronomical teachings adds another layer of depth, offering a fascinating glimpse into lesser-known historical facts.

The characters are well-developed, with Rassan's journey of self-discovery taking center stage. His internal struggles between loyalty to his military duty and his growing fascination with the Magi's mission create a compelling narrative arc. The supporting characters, from the wise Master Daraya-Vous to Rassan's conflicted love interest, add richness and depth to the story.

While the book deals with religious themes, the focus remains on the adventure and the personal transformations of the characters. The prose is engaging and descriptive, transporting readers to the dusty plains and bustling marketplaces of the ancient world. There's nothing I dislike about the book. Magi Apprentice is a perfect read for those who enjoy historical fiction with a touch of mystery and intrigue. 

The characters are well developed, the plot is rich and deep, the storyline is engaging, and there is no single grammatical error spotted. For these reasons, I rate Magi Apprentice by Dan Hendrickson 5 out of 5 stars. This book contains violence and conflict, making it suitable for mature readers.

Magi Apprentice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 339
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Never Let Go by Sultan Nasser

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

This book has been on my to-read list for a while now. I think it's fascinating and creative for the author to write a book about the coming of Jesus from the angle of the magis. I will definitely check it out. Great review.
Julie Basil
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

This sounds like a very interesting story, and your review leaves me wanting to know more about it. Keep up the good work!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Sunday N Florence »

Through Rassan's journey as an apprentice to Master Daraya-Vous, the book delves into celestial prophecies and the quest to decipher a significant event believed to herald a great leader's arrival, offering a mix of adventure, mystery, and self-discovery.
Mark Maxwell 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-maxwell-2.html
Latest Review: His Final Answer by Christopher D White & Jennifer Curran

Post by Mark Maxwell 2 »

Magi Apprentice" by Hendrickson is a captivating blend of historical fiction and adventure, transporting readers to the ancient Parthian Empire in the years preceding the birth of Jesus Christ. The story follows Rassan, a privileged young military officer whose life takes an unexpected turn when he encounters a dying Magi.
Robert Cortes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-cortes.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Robert Cortes »

As a prospective reader, the review of "Magi Apprentice" by Dan Hendrickson has certainly piqued my interest. The historical fiction set in the Parthian Empire, intertwined with celestial prophecies and the impending birth of Jesus Christ, offers a unique and intriguing premise. Rassan's journey from a privileged military officer to a Magi apprentice promises a rich narrative filled with personal growth and adventure.
Esther Unurhie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-unurhie.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Esther Unurhie »

Magi Apprentice brilliantly combines historical richness with compelling fiction, offering readers a captivating journey through the Parthian Empire's intricacies and the mysteries of celestial prophecy.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”