Review of The Magician's Secret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harshitha Nayak
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Review of The Magician's Secret

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The proper balance of magic, politics, and adventure can be found in this book. The narrative commences with Delvin, the protagonist, a youthful individual acquiring magical knowledge from his mentor, Borlock. Due to certain unforeseen events, he was accused of murder by an enigmatic shadow figure and an elder in his hometown. However, he was freed after providing proof of his innocence, which provided him comfort and the idea of moving away from his homeland. Delvin made plans to leave with his friend Greg as his fear of Shadow Man intensified. Thus, he fled the town to become a magician in the country of Hengal after collecting some cash and his master Borlock's magical artifacts.

With the assistance of their landlord, Lady Wilshaw, who not only granted them a place to stay but also helped spread the word about Delvin, the young magician, With this, Grey and Delvin were able to establish roots in the neighborhood as soon as they arrived in the realm of Hengel. Delvin began to gradually establish himself as a magician in the city by telling fortunes, selling portions, and doing simple tricks for children. However, during this time, some new and different magic began to occur, which inspired him to look for the answers and attracted the attention of the town's notable citizens.

At this point, the story introduces Magister Meldrum, the Duke, and Princess Jarla. Since there is an unofficial war rumbling down the street, Princess Jarla decided to involve Magician Delvin's assistance to resolve the issues since she believes someone is using magic to start a war. Thus, their adventure journey commences as they accompany Princess Fionella to the Duke of Argent to resolve the issues. As the young mind's impulsive choice to prevent war from destroying the city develops, these trios must overcome numerous difficult obstacles in order to flee from their own clan, an adversary, and an unidentified force.
To continue the journey, at least they used a variety of devious tactics, including manipulation, robbery, threats, attacks, and appearance changes. Being a part of the guild that used magic to control people's thoughts was the most difficult thing. In addition to the military elements, Delvin has enemies who aim to undermine his recently acquired authority and magical artifacts.
These young minds endured a great deal of strain because of the shadow luming across the street, individuals who suspected them, and ongoing battles to survive. Amidst all of this, they discovered a startling riddle regarding Princess Fionella, which elevated the adventure to a more responsible level as they needed to halt both people and power in order to prevent war.

How will Delvin and Princess Jarla continue their journey in light of all these ongoing factors? Will Delvin actually meet the shadow threat? Are they both able to end the war? Will they prevail in every conflict or terrifying circumstance? Explore the narrative to discover the answers to all of these questions and to share in their enchanted journey as adventurers. 

I give this book a 4 out of 5 rating. The plot, character growth, supporting side characters, situational components, and the way in which intriguing features are progressively added as the story goes along are the book's strong points. The author deserves appreciation for this fascinating tale with a solid foundation.
The challenging component that prevented me from giving the book a five-star rating was the slow narration, excessively detailed explanations, and unnecessary details of everyday scenes that occurred during Delvin's magical first journey or the trio's adventure journey. These elements slowed down the reader's interest and reading speed when they were hoping for quick action to get into the fascinating and mysterious chapters for a solid reading experience. The magical aspect got less attention than the adventures of this trio.
Aside from these factors, Princess Jarla, with her capacity for leadership and cunning, stole the show. Delvin, our magician, is the picture of innocence; he battles both inside himself and with others to save people, cities, and his master's legacy. The story was strengthened by the supporting characters.
When the narrative ended, I was hoping for more than just Princess Jarla to thank our magician Delvin, so when I learned that there would be another installment, my dissatisfaction vanished. I'm eager to read about their next adventure. The error-free book was well-presented by the editing staff, making for an enjoyable reading experience. I suggest this book to everyone I know who enjoys magical and adventurous tales.

The Magician's Secret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

A fantasy book about magic is one of my favorites. Reading your review makes me want to read this book, especially with the combination of politics and fantasy. I always enjoy anime with political and fantasy themes too. Thank you for writing this review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:

Yess, It's kind of adventures tale with blend of politics and magic! Magic always creates curiosity!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I loved this book. And like you, I am eager to read the next book in the series.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

The reviewer eloquently portrays the enthralling blend of magic, politics, and adventure in the narrative, commending the solid plot, character development, and the captivating presence of Princess Jarla, while critiquing the slow narration and excessive detail, ultimately rating the book a commendable 4 out of 5 stars
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:

Priya Murugesan wrote: 24 May 2024, 13:51 I loved this book. And like you, I am eager to read the next book in the series.
Yess there are 3 instalment, so hopefully I will read it soon.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Delvin and Princess Jarla have their work cut out for them. They must stop the dark forces of magic that want to start a war. Princess Jarla will entertain the readers with her strong character. Thank you for this thorough and informative review.
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Rajaee »

I have read this book, and I am in agreement with your opinion about the pace of the narration and excessive detailing of explanations. I also did not like the story altogether because, for some reason, it failed to keep me interested.
Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”