Review of The Grids of the Word Crosser - Complete Edition

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Review of The Grids of the Word Crosser - Complete Edition

Post by Priya Murugesan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Grids of the Word Crosser - Complete Edition" by Daniel Fonkem.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Grids of the Word Crosser - Complete Edition by Daniel Fonkem

'The Grids of the Word Crosser' is a crossword puzzle book. It has a huge collection of puzzles. You can spend hours and hours with this book, as it has 240 puzzles in total. 

The clues are presented in a table-like format first, and the puzzle squares follow them. The puzzle grid has 15 rows and 15 columns. The clue set is separated into sections with titles 'across' and 'down'.

First, let me tell you about the positive aspects of the book. It is well known that crossword puzzles enrich our vocabulary. It also aids us to spend our time wisely. It enhances our focus level and assists in improving our working skills so that we can handle challenging tasks better. The clue words cover many topics, like physics, general knowledge, geography, synonyms, chemistry, etc. Solving these puzzles will considerably increase our knowledge. 

I also encountered some negative aspects. First, as it is a Kindle version, it is too inconvenient to go up and down from clues to puzzles. The paperback edition will be way better. I always favor doing crosswords on paper. But that is just my opinion. I also noticed that many clues were repeated. The orange color used in the book didn't go well with me. The font could have also been better. The dotted horizontal lines on the clue page looked a bit odd. Overall, the layout of the book could have been neater.

It would be nice if puzzles were categorized as easy, medium, and hard. This would be helpful for beginners. It is my small suggestion.

I love puzzles a lot, and they help me clear my mind. My pure passion for crossword puzzles made me pick up this book. The book title also fascinated me. Before writing my review, I worked out a few puzzles and had a good experience. For some hard clues, I turned to the internet for help. Consequently, I learned some new words along the way. I felt energized and refreshed after completing the puzzles.

The editing is exceptional. Crossword puzzle lovers will adore this book. However, due to the negative aspects of the book mentioned above, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars

The Grids of the Word Crosser - Complete Edition
View: on Bookshelves
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The premise of this book looks interesting, considering the themes about puzzle. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
_Rhea Jacob
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

I love crossword puzzles and I look forward to reading the book and doing it. I too would prefer the paper version to the kindle version and I am sure I will enjoy the book. Thank you for your detailed review!
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

:techie-studyinggray: I thank you for your thorough and honest review of this crossword book. I am glad that you pointed out the inconvenience of going up and down from clues to puzzles. I wonder if there is a way to improve on this? Maybe an IT person could help the author to format an easier-to-use book. I was going to ask if there was a paperback version. But why encourage the use of trees? This is the Online Book Club after all!
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 153%

Post by Martina Sette »

This book seems like a comprehensive puzzle book with numerous benefits for enhancing vocabulary and cognitive skills. However, I think the Kindle version's layout and repetitive clues might deter some readers. Great review!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 21 May 2024, 08:39 The premise of this book looks interesting, considering the themes about puzzle. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Thanks Tomy!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

_Rhea Jacob wrote: 21 May 2024, 09:28 I love crossword puzzles and I look forward to reading the book and doing it. I too would prefer the paper version to the kindle version and I am sure I will enjoy the book. Thank you for your detailed review!
Thanks for reading my review! Hope your enjoy the book.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Gerry Steen wrote: 21 May 2024, 10:09 :techie-studyinggray: I thank you for your thorough and honest review of this crossword book. I am glad that you pointed out the inconvenience of going up and down from clues to puzzles. I wonder if there is a way to improve on this? Maybe an IT person could help the author to format an easier-to-use book. I was going to ask if there was a paperback version. But why encourage the use of trees? This is the Online Book Club after all!
You are right, Gerry!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Martina Sette wrote: 21 May 2024, 10:25 This book seems like a comprehensive puzzle book with numerous benefits for enhancing vocabulary and cognitive skills. However, I think the Kindle version's layout and repetitive clues might deter some readers. Great review!
Thanks, Martina!
Yashi Shukla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yashi-shukla.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 38%

Post by Yashi Shukla »

As someone who loves to solve puzzles as a part time activity, this book seems really interesting to me. I will definitely check this one out. Thanks for pointing out that paperback version will be a better purchase. Thank you for your honest review.
Yours truly,
Yashi Shukla
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Yashi Shukla wrote: 21 May 2024, 10:56 As someone who loves to solve puzzles as a part time activity, this book seems really interesting to me. I will definitely check this one out. Thanks for pointing out that paperback version will be a better purchase. Thank you for your honest review.
Thanks for reading my review!
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

This looks like unique book with game themes. Puzzle solving is always brainstorming experience. It's fun as well as brain trainer too.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Harshitha Nayak wrote: 24 May 2024, 13:53 This looks like unique book with game themes. Puzzle solving is always brainstorming experience. It's fun as well as brain trainer too.
You are right!
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

The review praises the book's extensive collection of crossword puzzles and highlights their benefits in vocabulary enrichment and cognitive skills improvement. However, it critiques the Kindle version's layout and suggests improvements in categorization and design. Despite these drawbacks, the reviewer appreciates the book's editing and recommends it to crossword enthusiasts, ultimately rating it 4 out of 5 stars.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

MAHAD BAIG MIRZA wrote: 27 May 2024, 06:40 The review praises the book's extensive collection of crossword puzzles and highlights their benefits in vocabulary enrichment and cognitive skills improvement. However, it critiques the Kindle version's layout and suggests improvements in categorization and design. Despite these drawbacks, the reviewer appreciates the book's editing and recommends it to crossword enthusiasts, ultimately rating it 4 out of 5 stars.
Thank you for your detailed analysis of my review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”