Review of Party Wine

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristin Cowan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: On the Wings of Ideas by Gabriella Balcom

Review of Party Wine

Post by Kristin Cowan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Party Wine" by D.R. Ransdell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Party Wine: A Sofi & Cenzo Mystery has love, murder, and mystery all set in the beautiful Monteleone, Italy. Sofi travels to Italy to work on her family’s balmetto, a natural wine cave unique to the area. Residents of the town are obsessed with balmettos and plan events and parties around them. One day, Sofi enters her balmetto and finds the body of her cousin Grazia’s husband, Ivano. With the help of the local police captain Cenzo, Lily tries to find out who would kill Ivano, the town's mayor, and why. Was it politics? An affair? Was Ivano tied to crime? There are many reasons for Ivano’s murder but they have trouble finding anyone that would actually kill Ivano. Then, Grazia goes missing. Lily must discover who is targeting her family, why, and if she is next.

This book had a little of everything. It was fast-paced and enjoyable and kept me reading until the very end. The characters were well-developed and relatable, especially Sofi. It was enjoyable to read about her experiences with the townspeople as an American, and it was entertaining to read about Sofi trying to fit into wine country when she does not like wine.

The people who live in the town are entertaining and you can picture them drinking wine and gossiping as the author writes. Even with the murder and drama, the book was not too heavy and disturbing; it was a pretty light read. I enjoyed that the book had some romance, but it did not detract from the plot. I also enjoyed learning things about the Monteleone area of Italy and the balmettos. The writing was descriptive and transported me to the wine country of Italy. It gives the reader some wanderlust!

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I loved the story, the relationships, and the small details that added to the plot. I took off one star due to numerous punctuation errors. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a mystery with a fun setting.

Party Wine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

This appears to be an enjoyable book. I am interested in balmettos and wine. It is nice that this theme is in the story. Italy is a charming country and the food is the best. I want to immerse myself into this story of love, murder, and mystery in Monteleone, Italy. Thank you for this great review. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”