Review of God's Gift (Woman)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leia Temple
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leia-temple.html
Latest Review: A Christian Life.....Connected by Jacksel

Review of God's Gift (Woman)

Post by Leia Temple »

[Following is a volunteer review of "God's Gift (Woman)" by Freddie Floyd Jr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"God's Gift (Woman)" by Freddie Floyd Jr. celebrates the resilience and underlying strengths of women. By referencing the Bible, Floyd Jr. reinforces that women are not only equal to men but also uniquely gifted. As a member of the intended readership for this book, I anticipated a delightful read. However, my experience did not fully align with my expectations.

This book had many virtues, the most notable of which was Floyd Jr.'s acknowledgement of the often skewed perception of women in society. His empathetic assertion that women should never tolerate disrespect was a powerful statement against the normalization of poor treatment that women face today. I also appreciated his recognition of human imperfections and the necessity for compromises in long-term relationships. The book's use of biblical citations offered a rich context for cross-referencing. Additionally, the references to biblical heroines such as Deborah and Queen Esther underscored the potential of women for leadership and influence, effectively challenging traditional gender roles. Floyd Jr.'s subtle counter-narrative against female stereotypes was truly refreshing in this regard. The conversational tone employed throughout the book made the content more digestible and less intimidating.

"God's Gift (Woman)" did not come without its shortcomings. The book, several chapters in, began to resemble a guide on dating etiquette. This shift in focus was somewhat disconcerting, as the expectation was for a deeper exploration of women’s capabilities beyond the confines of romantic relationships. Moreover, the traits that Floyd Jr. highlighted as desirable in both men and women were qualities that any decent individual should strive to embody. The author's repetitive praises for women, while well-intentioned, also came across as redundant later on and risked undermining the very self-worth the book sought to affirm.

Regardless, I was inclined to give this book 3 out of 5 stars. I deducted two stars due to the repetitive phrases and the narrative's lack of focus on women's strengths outside of relationships. "God's Gift (Woman)" by Freddie Floyd Jr. contained no profanity or sexual content. The errors in the writing were minimal and hardly detracted from my reading enjoyment.

"God's Gift (Woman)" by Freddie Floyd Jr. would appeal to both male and female readers within the Christian community. The book’s alignment with Christian values, coupled with its exploration of gender-specific virtues, makes it a valuable addition to the libraries of various readers.

God's Gift (Woman)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

It is a shame that such a well-intentioned book can come across as redundant. I guess the rule for authors should be not to overuse the same words to get a point across. For me as a reader, redundancy translates into boredom: yawn. Once that happens, I start to lose interest in the book. Women deserve all the accolades they can receive. I am amazed by what the women in my life have accomplished. This group includes my wife, mother, sister, 3 daughters, and bosses. I often quip that women are taking over the world, and that wouldn't be such a bad thing. Would it now? :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”