Review of The Boy who Lived with Ghosts

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mark Maxwell 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-maxwell-2.html
Latest Review: His Final Answer by Christopher D White & Jennifer Curran

Review of The Boy who Lived with Ghosts

Post by Mark Maxwell 2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"The Boy Who Lived With Ghosts" by John Mitchell follows the harrowing journey of a little boy named John, who endures neglect and abuse from a young age, living in poverty and facing hardships like sleeping on the floor. His story is further complicated by the constant harassment of mysterious and unnerving ghosts that follow him wherever he goes. This is not a typical ghost story but one that evokes deep emotional responses, leaving the reader feeling uneasy and haunted long after finishing the book. The author, John Mitchell, shares his childhood fear of the dark.

I was engrossed as I followed the story of the challenges and pains John endured while growing up in a troubled family in England. The narrative revolves around John's experiences in a home marred by his father's alcoholism and the manipulative, bullying behavior of his elder sister, Margueratta. Margueratta's cruel and disturbing stories, along with her actions such as locking John in the dark cellar, intensify his fear and leave a lasting impact on his imagination. The book effectively captures the emotional and psychological toll of growing up in a dysfunctional household, highlighting the complexities of fear and trauma within a poor family struggling with its demons.

There is nothing I dislike about this book. The book stands out as it is narrated from John's perspective, providing an intimate and immersive look into his troubled upbringing and the challenges he faces from his insensitive and self-centered family members.  The author masterfully weaves humor and fear into the narrative, creating a captivating and unique reading experience. Complex characters, both heroic and villainous, evoke empathy and understanding from the reader. The fast-paced plot and gradual buildup of tension keep the reader engaged and eager to discover what happens next, making the book both gripping and thought-provoking. I rate this book five out of five stars because of the numerous pieces of information it carries.

The book masterfully blends elements of creepiness with profound emotional impact, taking readers on an intense journey that elicits a wide range of emotions, from laughter to tears to fear. It is professionally edited because I only saw one error in it.

I recommend the book to readers who enjoy thought-provoking and emotionally intense stories that blend elements of supernatural fiction with themes of trauma and resilience.

The Boy who Lived with Ghosts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Esther Unurhie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-unurhie.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Esther Unurhie »

This review beautifully captures the haunting essence of 'The Boy Who Lived With Ghosts,' painting a vivid picture of John's harrowing journey through neglect, abuse, and the eerie presence of spectral entities.
Florence Daniel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-daniel.html
Latest Review: Black Witch Moth by C. Michael Curry

Post by Florence Daniel »

The Boy Who Lived With Ghosts" by John Mitchell offers a poignant and haunting exploration of childhood trauma and the enduring impact of neglect and abuse. Through the harrowing journey of young John, readers are drawn into a world marked by poverty, familial dysfunction, and the relentless torment of ghostly apparitions.
Dennis W Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennis-w-alice.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Dennis W Alice »

By sharing his own childhood fear of the dark, Mitchell invites readers to confront their own fears and vulnerabilities, weaving a narrative that is as cathartic as it is unsettling.
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: Bonds of Love and Blood by Marylee MacDonald

Post by Robert Andrew »

In 'The Boy Who Lived With Ghosts,' John Mitchell's poignant narrative takes readers on a gripping journey through the trials and tribulations of a young boy facing both human cruelty and supernatural terrors.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

Mitchell's raw portrayal of John's struggle with neglect and abuse, coupled with the haunting presence of ghosts, creates a chilling atmosphere that lingers with readers well beyond the final page.
Dani Elle Ele
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-elle-ele.html
Latest Review: It Was What It Was by Daniel Pace

Post by Dani Elle Ele »

The author seems to give hope to people by sharing his life experiences in this book. This was indeed a great book
Anthony Ambrose
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ambrose.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Ambrose »

Mitchell's candid portrayal of his own childhood fears adds an intimate layer to the story, resonating with readers on a deeply personal level. With its haunting prose and unflinching exploration of darkness, this book leaves an indelible mark on the reader's psyche, inviting reflection long after the final page is turned.
Susan John Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-john-peter.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Susan John Peter »

In "The Boy Who Lived With Ghosts," John Mitchell masterfully crafts a narrative that transcends traditional ghost stories, delving into the depths of human vulnerability and the complexities of childhood trauma.
Aurora Benjamin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aurora-benjamin.html
Latest Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts by John Mitchell

Post by Aurora Benjamin »

From the oppressive atmosphere of his home to the dark recesses of his own imagination, every detail is expertly crafted to evoke a visceral response.
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Sunday N Florence »

Through a compelling narrative told from John's perspective, the book skillfully blends humor and fear, offering a gripping exploration of trauma, resilience, and the complexities of growing up in a troubled family.
Jerry Williams 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-williams-3.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski

Post by Jerry Williams 3 »

The Boy Who Lived With Ghosts" by John Mitchell offers a haunting portrayal of a childhood marked by neglect, abuse, and the relentless presence of mysterious ghosts. Mitchell's narrative delves deep into the emotional and psychological turmoil experienced by young John as he navigates a troubled family dynamic overshadowed by his father's alcoholism and his sister Margueratta's manipulative behavior.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Marcus Douglas Presents Echoes of Time by Marcus Douglas

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Being scared of the dark is such a huge phobia. The author also had a very painful and bad childhood experience. But who is to blame, definitely not him. I really loved reading your review. I don't like ghost stories so I wont be reading this book.
Badger Martin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-badger-martin.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Badger Martin »

John's childhood fear of the dark was a story that could get any reader emotional. I loved the flow of the story and I commend you for your insights into this book.
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

I feel sad, no child should ever have to grow up like that. I am fill with wonder that this book masterfully blends elements of creepiness with profound emotional impact. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”