Review of Man Mission

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kareen Hez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareen-hez.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Man Mission

Post by Kareen Hez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Eytan Uliel's novel, Man Mission, is an intriguing first-person narrative centered around the epic annual journeys of four college friends: the narrator, Sam, Alec, and Daniel.

The idea of an annual adventure first emerged during their college years, but it was put into action three years later. Since then, they have embarked on annual trips, often abroad, filled with challenging activities like hiking, cycling, kayaking, ice climbing, etc. Meanwhile, they face unexpected challenges, from encounters with drug dealers and roaring lions to shark attacks, all while fighting with blisters and injuries. Therefore, the name they chose for their annual expedition, Man Mission, was indeed justifiable. However, the biggest challenge to the Man Mission arises once they get married and their wives get united. It is amusing to see how they attempt to convince the wives' committee and persist with their Man Mission. Grab a copy of this adventurous and humorous itinerary of the men on a mission to find out how far they can stand against the wives' committee and to share their thrilling adventures.

This book was a thoroughly enjoyable read, and aside from its humorous aspect, I liked it for several reasons. One is, the author demonstrates exceptional knowledge about countries and cultures, taking readers on a journey to places like Japan, Fiji, Spain, Thailand, South Korea, South Africa, and New Zealand. Having traveled to over 85 countries himself, he showcases a deep understanding of various cultures. Therefore, this book is a great choice if you're interested in learning about the world beyond your own boundaries.

Additionally, the author imparts valuable life lessons through the strengths and weaknesses of the characters. Through the conversations of the four friends or by making the characters remorseful over their sudden decisions, readers are subtly conveyed messages on how to tackle problems, what to prioritize in life, and the importance of communicating effectively when faced with life problems. The bond among the four friends is also impressive, as they stand by each other through thick and thin.

Furthermore, the arrangement of storylines, simple language, and incorporation of humor are impressive. Each chapter concludes one journey, and amidst the details of the journey and surroundings, the narrator recalls events in their lives between the annual journeys, breaking the monotony of the story.

Overall, there is nothing that I disliked about the book. I also did not spot any errors while reading, indicating that the book was exceptionally well-edited. Therefore, the book deserves a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

However, at times, the four friends are quite open about their personal lives, including aspects of their sexuality. Taking everything into consideration, I recommend this book to all married individuals and unmarried adults above 18 who are looking for high-quality books packed with adventure and humor.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

You did an amazing review of this book. My interest is piqued. Your mention of a wives' committee had me chuckling, because any time my friends and I plan a trip, it must receive the final stamp of approval from our wives. The adventure, culture, and laughs that this book provides are what I am looking forward to. Thank you. :techie-studyinggray:
Kareen Hez
Currently Reading:

Post by Kareen Hez »

Gerry Steen wrote: 24 May 2024, 14:31 You did an amazing review of this book. My interest is piqued. Your mention of a wives' committee had me chuckling, because any time my friends and I plan a trip, it must receive the final stamp of approval from our wives. The adventure, culture, and laughs that this book provides are what I am looking forward to. Thank you. :techie-studyinggray:
Thank you so much for your kind words about my review! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I completely understand your situation with the 'wives' committee' :icon-lol: —it sounds like you and your friends have a great dynamic. I hope you enjoy the book's adventure, culture, and laughs as much as I did. Happy reading! :techie-reference:
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

The book sounds fun,I added it to my must read library list.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I have thought many times about picking this book but somehow never did. Your review strengthened my desire to read this book!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Kareen Hez
Currently Reading:

Post by Kareen Hez »

David Awunor wrote: 25 May 2024, 00:52 The book sounds fun,I added it to my must read library list.
I found myself chuckling while reading the book. I'm sure you'll find it interesting too! Happy to see that it's on your must-read list :techie-reference:
Last edited by Kareen Hez on 25 May 2024, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.
Kareen Hez
Currently Reading:

Post by Kareen Hez »

Priya Murugesan wrote: 25 May 2024, 03:30 I have thought many times about picking this book but somehow never did. Your review strengthened my desire to read this book!
I had the same experience, considering over and over whether to pick this book up, because this sort of book was not my cup of tea. But once I went through the summary provided by the author, I decided to give it a try, and it was definitely worthwhile. Try to get your hands on the book if you ever get the chance. You’ll probably enjoy it as much as I did. Glad you enjoyed the review! :techie-reference:
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Anu Anand »

I appreciate your detailed review. Like Priya mentioned, I also came across this book several times and was debating whether to read it or not. Your insightful and thorough review has convinced me to give it a try. I particularly enjoyed how you highlighted the adventurous aspects and the valuable life lessons imparted through the story. Looking forward to reading more reviews from you. Thank you!
Kareen Hez
Currently Reading:

Post by Kareen Hez »

Anu Anand wrote: 25 May 2024, 05:31 I appreciate your detailed review. Like Priya mentioned, I also came across this book several times and was debating whether to read it or not. Your insightful and thorough review has convinced me to give it a try. I particularly enjoyed how you highlighted the adventurous aspects and the valuable life lessons imparted through the story. Looking forward to reading more reviews from you. Thank you!
Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad to see that my review has been helpful in giving you an idea of the book. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did. It's always exciting to share a book with such adventurous aspects and valuable life lessons. Happy reading, and I look forward to sharing more reviews with you in the future! :romance-smileyheart:
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

I actually read the book a long time ago. Your review brought back to me the feeling of enjoyment I felt while reading it. It was nice to read the men's perspective on their lives and how they relate to each other apart from their wives. Beautifully written review Kareen!
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

Kareen Hez wrote: 25 May 2024, 03:59
Priya Murugesan wrote: 25 May 2024, 03:30 I have thought many times about picking this book but somehow never did. Your review strengthened my desire to read this book!
I had the same experience, considering over and over whether to pick this book up, because this sort of book was not my cup of tea. But once I went through the summary provided by the author, I decided to give it a try, and it was definitely worthwhile. Try to get your hands on the book if you ever get the chance. You’ll probably enjoy it as much as I did. Glad you enjoyed the review! :techie-reference:
Sure!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Kareen Hez
Currently Reading:

Post by Kareen Hez »

Sarah Zain wrote: 25 May 2024, 06:58 I actually read the book a long time ago. Your review brought back to me the feeling of enjoyment I felt while reading it. It was nice to read the men's perspective on their lives and how they relate to each other apart from their wives. Beautifully written review Kareen!
Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm thrilled to hear that my review brought back those enjoyable memories for you. It's wonderful to connect with someone who shares the same appreciation for that aspect of the book. :D Thanks again for your thoughtful comment Sarah! :romance-hearteyes:
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

My friends and I in college made similar plans, though not as extravagant. For awhile we kept it up, but then life and family commitments got in the way. Thanks!
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

This must be hilarious. Men just want to have fun I see. This is interesting and I can imagine how difficult this must be for the wives to try and blend in with the mission of people that have known each other for so long. This is an exciting review. I'm going to read this definitely
Be yourself and nothing less
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 112%

Post by RJ Reviews »

I have been seeing this book around for some time now. Your insightful review and high rating certainly encourage me to finally pick it up. I generally love travel stories and this one certainly has depth to its narrative. Looking forward to read more from you.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”