Review of Sip Lake

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renee S
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-s.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 50%

Review of Sip Lake

Post by Renee S »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sip Lake" by joseph basara.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Sip Lake" by Joseph Basara is a romantic comedy narrated from the perspective of Owen Cloud, an orderly working the night shift at a hospital in Cypress City, Florida—a fictional place created by the author. The story is set during the summer of 1977. The chapter titles follow the progression of the summer months, beginning with May and concluding with September. Throughout Cloud's time at the hospital, he struggles with finding love and confronts his foolishness. He spends much of his time in self-reflection and amusingly converses with himself, even indulging in self-pity sometimes. Eventually, he comes to understand that love often blossoms from friendship.

I liked the reference to Robert Burns' poem "Comin' Thro' the Rye," having recently discovered Burns myself through another enjoyable book. The story details the day-to-day routine of a night shift orderly and offers realistic characters and experiences. While the mundane aspects may be tedious, I found them reflective of real life. Most of all, I enjoyed the inclusion of amusing or peculiar names for people and places like Moo-Cow Ranch, Pops Manatee, Chigger Town, Stew Foote, Pokey Baird, Elijah Needlefish, Eartha Pease, Adam Seahorse, Dr. McCatfish, etc.

However, there are two drawbacks I must mention. Firstly, there are a few minor grammatical errors or typos present in the book. These didn't take away too much from my enjoyment, but they were noticeable enough to me. Secondly, the abundance of character names, many of whom are not central to the plot, made it somewhat confusing. Whether this was intentional or not, I can't say for sure.

Overall, I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars. Despite the flaws mentioned above, I found it enjoyable. This book is suited for mature audiences due to its inclusion of profanity and mild sexual content. I recommend it to adults who appreciate light romantic comedies and don't mind slow-paced and ordinary but realistic storylines.

Sip Lake
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

From your review, I believe that this book will have me chuckling throughout the story. I am dying to know about the patients and other staff members that Owen meets in his line of work. There are bound to be some interesting characters and some funny events. Thank you for this enlightening review. :techie-studyinggray:
Renee S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-s.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 50%

Post by Renee S »

Gerry Steen wrote: 24 May 2024, 20:24 From your review, I believe that this book will have me chuckling throughout the story. I am dying to know about the patients and other staff members that Owen meets in his line of work. There are bound to be some interesting characters and some funny events. Thank you for this enlightening review. :techie-studyinggray:
Mostly, the funniest part is the character names. Many of these characters aren't central to the plot and are just mentioned briefly, without much detail or any funny events involving them. You may enjoy reading all these funny names, if not the whole book. Thanks for leaving a comment. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”