Review of The 13th of Summer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Review of The 13th of Summer

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 13th of Summer" by Charlene Pratt.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In the early part of this book, it feels a bit slow because I didn't fully understand the background of the story. As someone born in Southeast Asia, I needed to read more about the Dust Bowl event, Black Blizzard, and the effects of the Great Depression briefly before I could fully immerse myself in this reading.

The book is themed as historical fiction with a touch of romance and many sad stories. Set in South Dakota, Central America, the book tells the struggles of the people there facing a decade-long climate crisis.

The details in the story are well described to depict the conditions, with children always advised to stay indoors, relentless blowing sand dust, drought, and poverty haunting the community there.

Our main character, Betty, lives and grows up as a young girl with many siblings, managing their farm there.

Growing up during dust storms, economic crises, and droughts is not easy. Our main character has to face unexpected sorrows in the story and continue to struggle with her daily life.

Her daily life as a girl, with household routines and farming, is well explained, as if we were truly living with Betty at that time.

Despite their various difficult circumstances, there are many moments of happiness together, resilience, sincerity, and how the townsfolk unite against the capitalists in those difficult conditions.

I am impressed with how the author portrays Betty's father as a complex figure who tries to remain strong even though he has to lose his beloved child several times. Even when losing two of his children towards the end of the story, he keeps it all to himself and chooses to cry alone.

This book is easy to read and has an amazing, flawless, and perfect editing.

I give this book a 5 out of 5 because of the character portrayal, which I find well-developed and complex despite the fairly simple theme of the story. Each character has internal struggles that we can read about in the book, portrayed well so that we can empathize with their feelings.

The shortcomings of this book may be the lack of explanation about the context of the story at the beginning for people who do not understand the events of famine, the Great Depression, and the black blizzard at that time. In the early part, the plot also feels somewhat slow and less interesting.

Nevertheless, the story starts to become interesting when the crisis begins and the characters struggle together as a caring and helping family.

The end of the story also leaves a bittersweet impression, which I think is in line with the theme of the story, which teaches us that life does not always have a happy ending but needs to be accepted because it is the complexity of life that makes the story interesting to tell to our grandchildren.

This book is good for people who enjoy themes of nostalgia, historical fiction, family, and the struggles of life.

The 13th of Summer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

The writing style of the review is indeed unique. It's unfortunate that you had to do some research before reading the book, but we do learn something new every day.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I believe this emotional book will cater to my taste. A detailed review from you!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Tomi Ahmed
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

Your review offers a thorough and insightful perspective on the book, highlighting its strengths in character development and thematic depth. You effectively convey how the story's historical context initially posed a challenge but ultimately enhanced your appreciation for the narrative. Your detailed observations about the portrayal of the main character, Betty, and her father's resilience add a poignant touch, illustrating the emotional richness of the story. While noting the slow start and the need for more background information, your overall positive assessment and recommendation for readers interested in historical fiction and family struggles provide a balanced and compelling endorsement.
Tomi Ahmed
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti
2024 Reading Goal: 75
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

One little tiny nudge on the review: South Dakota is in North America, rather than Central. It is however in the central part of North America, so that is cool! The South Dakotan landscape is very much the same now as it was back in the time in which this book is set: austere, flat, dusty, unforgiving, with freezing cold winters. The Depression plus the Dust Bowl, about 100 years ago … WOW, that must’ve been a very hostile place. Sounds like quite a fascinating book! Thanks for the review, Tony, I always enjoy yours :)
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Foundlings and Fisherman from Tumby by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Excellent review! You've beautifully captured the essence of the book's themes and the rich historical backdrop that frames the characters' lives. It's insightful to hear how you navigated the initial challenges due to cultural differences, adding depth to your understanding of the story.
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Rajaee »

Historical fiction is a genre I like very much. Also, the story looks interesting. Although I will have to read more about Black Blizzard and the Great Depression, for the same reason you did.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 153%

Post by Martina Sette »

I appreciate how you highlighted the initial challenge of understanding the historical context, which underscores the importance of familiarizing oneself with events like the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression to fully appreciate the story. The way the author portrays the resilience and unity of the community, along with the complex emotions of Betty's father, makes the story feel authentic and deeply moving.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

I will enjoy this story that blends historical fiction, tragedy, resilience, and community and family values. I have heard of the Great Depression, but the Dust Bowl and the Black Bizzard, I have not heard of. I am looking forward to this educational read. Great review. :techie-studyinggray:
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

This reflective review of "The Dust Bowl Daughter" underscores its immersive portrayal of historical events and family struggles amidst crisis. As per reviewer ,while initially slow-paced for readers unfamiliar with the Dust Bowl era, the book gains momentum as it delves into Betty's experiences navigating challenges like dust storms and economic hardship in South Dakota. The author skill-fully develops complex characters, notably Betty's father, who grapples with personal grief amidst collective adversity. Despite minor pacing issues at the start, the book earns a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 for its poignant character portrayal and bittersweet narrative that captures the essence of life's complexities. The reviewer recommended this book for readers drawn to themes of nostalgia, historical fiction, and resilience in the face of hardship.
Gayatri Tripathi
Favorite Book: E M P Honeymoon
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayatri-tripathi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Gayatri Tripathi »

Thank you for your insightful review of this historical fiction novel set during the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression. Your thoughtful observations provide a comprehensive overview of the book's strengths and the challenges you faced as a reader from Southeast Asia.

Your dedication to understanding the historical context of the Dust Bowl, Black Blizzards, and the Great Depression is commendable. This effort undoubtedly enriched your reading experience, allowing you to fully appreciate the struggles and resilience of the characters in South Dakota.

The way you describe the novel's setting and atmosphere—children advised to stay indoors, relentless sand dust, drought, and poverty—paints a vivid picture of the harsh conditions faced by the community. Your description of Betty's life, from her household routines to managing the farm and dealing with personal sorrows, brings her character to life. It's clear that the author succeeded in creating an immersive and emotionally engaging narrative.

The portrayal of Betty's father as a complex figure who remains strong despite immense personal loss is particularly poignant. Your empathy for his character, and for the family as they navigate their hardships, highlights the author's skill in developing well-rounded and relatable characters.

Your critique about the initial lack of historical context for readers unfamiliar with the era is valuable feedback. This observation underscores the importance of providing background information to help readers fully engage with the story from the beginning. Despite this, your review indicates that the novel's pace and interest level pick up as the crisis intensifies and the characters' resilience shines through.

The bittersweet ending, which aligns with the story's theme of life's complexities, is a fitting conclusion that adds depth to the narrative. Your recommendation for readers who enjoy themes of nostalgia, historical fiction, family, and life's struggles is well-founded.

Overall, your review beautifully captures the essence of the book, emphasizing its emotional depth, historical richness, and the well-developed characters that drive the story. Thank you for sharing your experience and insights, which will surely help other readers appreciate this novel's merits.
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 112%

Post by RJ Reviews »

This historical fiction with a touch of romance and many sad stories is set in South Dakota, Central America. It tells us about the struggles of the people there facing a decade-long climate crisis. I appreciate that the story continues at a brisk pace. Your review is beautiful and captures the essence of the book perfectly. Thank you.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

Great read Tomy. I like the fact that this book is not just a cliche with a happy ending because unfortunately that's not how life is. The arrangement of the book sounds enlightening. I can already feel the rollercoaster of emotions you had to go through while reading it and that's amazing. Well done on this particular read
Be yourself and nothing less
Ludovica Peruzzi
Currently Reading: Entanglement
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Blockhead by Kyle J.S. Bardell

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

I really admire how you can admit you don't know enough about something to actually enjoy a book and always do your own research to understand more. I have to say that while I obviously knew about the Great Depression, I'd never even heard about the Dust Bowl event or the Black Blizzard. This is why niche books like this one are so important - there's just so much we don't know, and stories are the best way we can actually touch other people's lives. Thanks for this review!
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Kybalion
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

An interesting book.
I am already resonating with Betty's father in that he " chooses to cry alone."
Betty's life is interesting, and clearly, there is much to learn from her, considering how she deals with her challenging environment and life circumstances.
I believe a book like this can only be a reference point for identifying with gratitude for where we are and the things we can proactively do to take care of our environment.
I appreciate your mention of the shortcomings of the book as well, in terms of the basic background information required to enjoy and connect with the author's story.
Congratulations to the author!
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”