Review of The Magician's Secret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anu Anand
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Review of The Magician's Secret

Post by Anu Anand »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The story begins with the murder of a traveling magician named Borlock. His friend and assistant, Delvin, is accused of the crime. Against the odds, Delvin proves his innocence and relocates to another country, Hengel, where he takes up the job of a magician using the props he inherited from Borlock. As he adapts to his new life of entertaining audiences and fortune-telling, strange occurrences begin to unfold around him. He noticed that a handful of his predictions were becoming realities. Delvin was sure ‘real magic’ didn’t exist. Magic was just a trick. Or was it not?

In Hengel, things aren't as smooth as Delvin expected. The neighboring country, Argent, claims that Duke Poldor of Hengel has kidnapped Princess Fionella, daughter of the Duke of Argent. In his proclamation, Duke Poldor asserts that he is protecting Fionella from her scheming father. To avoid a potential war, Princess Jarla, daughter of Duke Poldor, kidnaps Princess Fionella to return her to Argent. Everything changes when Princess Jarla drags Delvin along, blackmailing him into accompanying her on this perilous mission, thinking he’s a real magician. Fierce and uncompromising, Princess Jarla is not one to turn a blind eye to mistakes. They encounter many looming dangers and hidden secrets that could trigger even more dire consequences than the current conflict. How will they overcome these challenges? Step into the unknown and uncover the secrets held within the enchanting narrative of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend.

The author skillfully crafted an imaginative world that came alive vividly in my mind as I scrolled through the pages. The book was incredibly engaging and a joy to read. The inclusion of a map at the story's outset was a thoughtful touch. Among the characters, Princess Jarla stood out as my absolute favorite. Her fierce character combined with her long and sharp nails, her instrument of torture, created a feisty princess vibe. I also liked how Delvin skillfully escapes from difficult situations. The witty exchanges and humorous banter between the characters added an extra layer of enjoyment to the story. The author's writing style is descriptive and fluid, making the narrative easy to follow while keeping it immersive. Furthermore, the book is professionally edited. As for dislikes, I found none, solidifying my rating of this book as a perfect 5 out of 5. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone in search of a thrilling adventure in a rich fantasy world.

The Magician's Secret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I totally agree with you about this book. I have read it and had no complaints. As you said, the story is immersive and humorous.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Harshitha Nayak
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

One of the interesting story i have read, the way young people Jarla and Delvin carried themselves is the highlight. I totally agree with your points and it's perfect review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”