Review of Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony Ambrose
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ambrose.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Review of Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath

Post by Anthony Ambrose »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller follows the journey of Zachariah Martin, known as Zack, a seventeen-year-old country boy who joins the Navy and serves aboard the USS Hawke DD 894 during the Vietnam War. The story details Zack's experiences from his initial assignment in San Diego to combat operations in Vietnam, his relationships with fellow sailors, and his romance with his girlfriend, Tally. Throughout the narrative, Zack grapples with the realities of war, forms deep bonds with his comrades, and navigates the challenges of love and loss. Get the book to learn more.

The book provides a vivid portrayal of life in the Navy during the Vietnam War era, capturing the camaraderie among sailors, the rigors of military training, and the intensity of combat operations. The author effectively portrays Zack's journey of self-discovery and growth as he navigates the complexities of war and personal relationships.

My favorite character in this book is Zack. Zack was determined to achieve his goals at all costs. One aspect I dislike is that I found certain plot points predictable, particularly in the romance subplot between Zack and Tally. The book is excellently edited.

Despite these drawbacks, I rate the book five out of five stars because of the numerous lessons it contains. I would recommend the book to readers interested in military fiction, particularly those curious about the Vietnam War era and its impact on individuals serving in the armed forces. The book offers a compelling blend of action, romance, and coming-of-age themes, making it a worthwhile read for fans of the genre.

This book effectively captures the atmosphere of military life and provides engaging characters and plotlines; its pacing and occasional predictability did not prevent it from achieving a higher rating. It remains a solid read for those interested in its subject matter.

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

The impact of wars on individuals is usually unpredictable. Zack is a strong willed and lovable character. Your review is truly outstanding.
Florence Daniel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-daniel.html
Latest Review: Black Witch Moth by C. Michael Curry

Post by Florence Daniel »

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller is a compelling and vivid portrayal of life in the Navy during the Vietnam War. The story follows seventeen-year-old Zachariah Martin, known as Zack, from his early days in San Diego to intense combat operations aboard the USS Hawke DD 894.
Dennis W Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennis-w-alice.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Dennis W Alice »

Randy Miller’s "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" offers an immersive and heartfelt exploration of a young sailor's life during the Vietnam War.
Esther Unurhie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-unurhie.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Esther Unurhie »

This book not only provides detailed historical insights into the Vietnam War but also delves into the emotional and psychological challenges faced by servicemen.
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: Bonds of Love and Blood by Marylee MacDonald

Post by Robert Andrew »

Randy Miller's "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" vividly chronicles the journey of Zack Martin, a seventeen-year-old who joins the Navy and serves on the USS Hawke DD 894 during the Vietnam War.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

In "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath," Randy Miller immerses readers in the gripping tale of Zack Martin, a young Navy recruit aboard the USS Hawke DD 894. The book provides a detailed account of Zack's experiences from training in San Diego to the harrowing combat missions in Vietnam.
Susan John Peter
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-john-peter.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Susan John Peter »

Deadly Waters" is not just a war story but a profound tale of growth, love, and the enduring human spirit, making it an engaging read for both history enthusiasts and general readers alike.
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Sunday N Florence »

The book vividly portrays Navy life during the Vietnam War, emphasizing camaraderie, military training, and combat intensity. Zack's journey of self-discovery and growth is central, as he deals with the complexities of war and relationships.
Badger Martin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-badger-martin.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Badger Martin »

This book envices the aftermath of the Vietnam war on shoulders who had to deal with the trauma. I appreciate your honest review. It was detailed and I loved it.
Abel Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abel-timothy.html

Post by Abel Timothy »

Randy Miller's 'Deadly Waters' immerses readers in the tumultuous waters of the Vietnam Naval War through the eyes of protagonist Zack Martin. With vivid storytelling and authentic detail, the novel captures the harrowing experiences of combat, the bonds forged in the heat of battle, and the poignant moments of love and loss.
Christian Jordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christian-jordan.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christian Jordan »

**Deadly Waters** by Randy Miller follows seventeen-year-old Zachariah Martin’s journey in the Navy during the Vietnam War, exploring his combat experiences, bonds with fellow sailors, and romance with Tally.
Chad Anthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts by John Mitchell

Post by Chad Anthony »

I agree with your favourite character. Zack is really a strong male with so much perseverance. I also think this summary is quite challenging and speaks highly of Zack. Thank you for a great review.
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html

Post by Julius Peters »

I appreciate the author's dedication to accurately depicting the atmosphere of military life and combat operations during the Vietnam War. Through Zack's experiences and relationships with his fellow sailors, 'Deadly Waters' offers readers a glimpse into the realities of war and the bonds forged in the crucible of conflict.
Nnodim Collins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nnodim-collins.html
Latest Review: The Mission by Tara Basi

Post by Nnodim Collins »

"Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller vividly depicts Navy life during the Vietnam War through Zack Martin's journey. Despite some predictable romance elements, the book excels in portraying camaraderie and combat intensity, making it an engaging read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”