Review of The Boy who Lived with Ghosts

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Review of The Boy who Lived with Ghosts

Post by Sunday N Florence »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"The Boy Who Lived with Ghosts" is a captivating memoir by John Mitchell, recounting his tumultuous childhood in the 1960s, overshadowed by his mother's severe mental illness. Mitchell's narrative delves into the stark realities of living with a parent in the throes of psychosis, depicting the fear, isolation, and occasional humor he experienced amidst economic hardship and social upheaval. Through his unfiltered perspective as a young boy, he explores the transformative power of literature as a refuge from the chaos at home, highlighting themes of resilience, survival, and the search for meaning in adversity. With raw honesty and evocative prose, the author's memoir offers a compelling portrayal of enduring power in the face of profound challenges.  

The book is a gripping and haunting memoir that vividly portrays the harrowing experiences of a young boy grappling with his mother's mental illness. John Mitchell's candid narrative draws readers into a world fraught with fear, isolation, and the search for solace amidst adversity. Through his poignant storytelling, the author captures the resilience of the transformative power of literature in overcoming profound challenges. This memoir resonates deeply, leaving a lasting impression and a profound reflection on the complexities of family, resilience, and the enduring pursuit of hope in the face of darkness. 

The book is a deeply personal memoir, and the character that stands out the most is John himself. As the protagonist and narrator, John Mitchell courageously shares his journey through a turbulent childhood marked by his mother's mental illness and the eerie presence of ghosts. The book is excellently edited, and there is nothing I dislike about the book. 

I rate this book five out of five stars because it is an incredibly moving and compelling memoir that captivates from beginning to end. The author's raw and honest storytelling transports readers into the heart of his tumultuous childhood, where the shadows of mental illness and societal upheaval loom large. Mitchell's courage in sharing his experiences, coupled with his poignant reflections on resilience and the power of literature, creates a narrative that is both haunting and hopeful. 

I recommend the book to readers who appreciate deeply personal memoirs that delve into the complexities of family dynamics, resilience, and the human experience. 

The Boy who Lived with Ghosts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Christian Jordan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christian-jordan.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christian Jordan »

"The Boy Who Lived with Ghosts" is John Mitchell's poignant memoir, chronicling his turbulent upbringing in the 1960s under his mother's severe mental illness. Amidst hardship, isolation, and humor, he finds solace in literature, exploring themes of resilience and survival.
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

Thanks for the great review, having to deal with someone with mental illness especially when you love the person dearly. Literature can be very transformative.
Anthony Ambrose
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ambrose.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Ambrose »

The Boy Who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell is a hauntingly beautiful memoir that offers an unflinching look into the complexities of growing up with a mentally ill parent.
Robert Cortes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-cortes.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Robert Cortes »

As a prospective reader, the review of "The Boy Who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell makes the memoir sound deeply moving and evocative. The exploration of his childhood, marked by his mother's severe mental illness and the harsh realities of the 1960s, promises a raw and honest narrative. The emphasis on the transformative power of literature as a means of coping with adversity resonates with me, as it highlights themes of resilience and hope. The review's praise for the book's editing and the lack of dislikes adds to its appeal. Given its compelling storytelling and profound themes, this memoir seems like an impactful read, especially for those interested in personal stories of overcoming challenges and the complexities of family dynamics.
Aurora Benjamin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aurora-benjamin.html
Latest Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts by John Mitchell

Post by Aurora Benjamin »

Through his poignant storytelling, the author captures the resilience of the transformative power of literature in overcoming profound challenges. This memoir resonates deeply, leaving a lasting impression and a profound reflection on the complexities of family, resilience, and the enduring pursuit of hope in the face of darkness.
obinna Sharon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna-sharon.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by obinna Sharon »

Your review of "The Boy Who Lived with Ghosts" is powerful and evocative, capturing the memoir's emotional depth and thematic richness. By emphasizing John Mitchell's resilience and the transformative power of literature, you effectively convey why this book is both haunting and hopeful. Your high rating and heartfelt recommendation are well-supported, making it clear why this memoir is a must-read. Great job!
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Esther Deekor »

I always read memoirs with one goal in mind, to draw inspirations for my own life but John's experiences as a child is terrible because he doesn't have to deal with ghosts alone, but his mother's mental illness. And his mother is meant to be there for him at a young age but rate, the tables turned in that, he then had to be there for his mom. Thank you for a thorough review.
AGBATA DONALD Chidera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-donald-chidera.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AGBATA DONALD Chidera »

Dealing with mental illness in a loved one can be tough, but literature offers valuable insights and comfort, providing a transformative experience.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: Totem by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

Overall, this review presents a compelling case for The Boy who Lived with Ghosts. I enjoyed reading it.
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

This is a good review well done. I cannot imagine a childhood as such. I thought it was a CTMH at first looking at the cover but the moment you mentioned memoir, my eyes went wide. Great review
Be yourself and nothing less

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”