Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amanda Kenneth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-kenneth.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Amanda Kenneth »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Embark on a riveting journey with Tina Dreffin's memoir, "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa." Spanning continents and oceans, Dreffin's narrative is a captivating exploration of her unconventional life as a sailor, mother, and survivor. With each chapter prefaced by an inspiring quote, Dreffin invites readers into her world, where she shares profound lessons learned amidst her family's intrepid adventures.

This book is adorned with vivid maps tracing the family's expeditionary route and accompanied by striking photographs capturing the essence of their travels. Dreffin's candid portrayal of personal challenges, from grappling with sexual assault and miscarriage to navigating health crises, showcases her resilience and fortitude in the face of adversity.

What sets "Bluewater Walkabout" apart is Dreffin's unflinching honesty in recounting both triumphs and tribulations. Through her evocative prose, readers are transported to the majestic landscapes of Africa and the perilous waters of the open sea, experiencing each moment with unparalleled clarity.

Dreffin's narrative transcends mere travelogue, delving into the depths of human emotion and introspection. She deftly explores the complexities of family dynamics at sea, the haunting realities of crime in South Africa, and the transformative power of nature's beauty.

In "Bluewater Walkabout," Dreffin masterfully paints a portrait of resilience, courage, and the enduring spirit of adventure. This memoir is not just a tale of wanderlust; it is a profound meditation on the transformative power of leaving behind familiar patterns and embracing the unknown.

It was such an intriguing read and almost had the utmost perfection, but had a very minor flaw in the grammar. Apart from that, I had no reason to dislike the book, so I give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to readers seeking adventure, resilience, and profound introspection. Tina Dreffin's "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" is a captivating memoir, weaving tales of exploration, family, and overcoming adversity in a vivid tapestry of courage and wanderlust.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Julius Peters »

Your review beautifully captivates the essence of "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa." Tina Dreffin's raw and honest storytelling seems to offer not just an adventurous journey, but a profound exploration of resilience and personal growth. Your insights into the emotional depth and the vivid portrayal of her experiences make it clear that this memoir is much more than a travelogue. I'm particularly drawn to how Dreffin balances the beauty of nature with the complexities of human emotion and family dynamics. Thank you for sharing such a compelling review—I can't wait to dive into this remarkable tale!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”