Review of Chrome Mountain

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Williams Nnodim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-nnodim.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Review of Chrome Mountain

Post by Williams Nnodim »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider aspires to fuse elements of science fiction, thrillers, and action into a unified narrative but struggles to deliver a seamless and captivating story. The book chronicles Sonya McCall's flight from a perilous biker gang and her unexpected partnership with inventor Terry Radisson, who grapples with the potential ramifications of his invention, the VV1, falling into malevolent hands.

The initial promise of the plot is marred by several significant drawbacks. Primarily, the writing style comes under scrutiny for its overly casual approach to tackling weighty subjects like mental health and assault, diluting the depth these themes could have offered. The abrupt treatment of Sonya's suicidal contemplations and past trauma diminishes their emotional impact and misses an opportunity for meaningful exploration. Moreover, the surplus of characters and their underdeveloped story arcs contribute to a cluttered and unfocused narrative, detracting from the credibility of character evolution.

Furthermore, the overuse of soliloquies, particularly with Terry's character, is viewed as more complaint-filled than introspective, failing to enrich the reader's comprehension. The excessive reliance on onomatopoeic words and capitalization for emphasis proves distracting, diverting attention from the story's essence.

Despite these shortcomings, Chrome Mountain does exhibit some strengths, notably in its action sequences and the incorporation of diverse thematic elements such as terrorism, espionage, and technological innovation. The collaboration between Sonya and Terry, despite initial reservations, adds complexity to the narrative by melding their contrasting backgrounds and motivations.

Nevertheless, the book's erratic pacing, convoluted narrative structure, and lack of succinct storytelling impede its ability to fully captivate and engross the reader. While moments of excitement and creativity are present, they are overshadowed by inconsistent execution and an inability to sustain engagement throughout the entirety of the narrative.

Though the book lacked errors in spelling and grammar, it fell short of my expectations. I would be lying if I said I enjoyed my read and had nothing to dislike; therefore, I deducted 2 stars, giving it 3 out of 5 stars. If you're looking for a book with a thrilling mix of sci-fi and action, this book is an option for you, despite its many flaws.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Amanda Kenneth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-kenneth.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Amanda Kenneth »

"Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider attempts to blend science fiction, thrillers, and action but falls short of delivering a seamless and captivating narrative. The story follows Sonya McCall as she flees from a dangerous biker gang and forms an unexpected partnership with inventor Terry Radisson, who faces the consequences of his invention, the VV1, falling into the wrong hands.
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Julius Peters »

"Chrome" Mountain shines in its depiction of technological innovation and espionage, yet fails to maintain a consistent narrative flow. The abundance of characters and superficial exploration of critical issues dilute the story's effectiveness.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”