Review of Sent to Watch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Williams Nnodim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-nnodim.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Review of Sent to Watch

Post by Williams Nnodim »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sent to Watch" by David J. Lebenstein.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

David J. Lebenstein's book Sent to Watch is a blend of science fiction and historical fiction that takes readers to the right-handed Earth 48, a planet under surveillance by the Interplanetary Intelligence Service. This captivating novel delves into the intricate workings of alien agents Major Weatherby (Ori Svavapass) and Lieutenant Greenhill (Urelt Sraymlat) as they navigate the complexities of integrating Earth 48 into the Confederation of Civilized Planets.

Lebenstein's narrative skillfully intertwines futuristic elements with historical events, providing a fresh perspective on Earth's evolution during the post-Napoleonic era. Through meticulous attention to detail, readers are immersed in a world where interstellar travel, political intrigue, and the struggle for planetary unity converge.

The character development in Sent to Watch is exceptional, particularly with protagonist Unni Svavapass, whose journey from a future intelligence agent to a widowed pioneer in early 19th-century America is filled with emotional depth and resilience. The challenges faced by the alien agents, including navigating a strict non-interference protocol and overcoming personal conflicts within their team, add layers of tension and intrigue to the storyline.

While some readers may find the transition between high-tech alien societies and Earth's historical settings abrupt, this stark contrast serves to highlight the novel's exploration of human nature and ethical dilemmas. Sent to Watch is not just a tale of alien espionage; it's a thought-provoking exploration of humanity's place in the universe and the consequences of our actions on a global scale.

Overall, Sent to Watch is a compelling read that seamlessly combines elements of science fiction, historical accuracy, and philosophical introspection. It challenges readers to contemplate the intricacies of cultural integration, ethical responsibilities, and the enduring resilience of the human spirit across time and space. 

I totally enjoyed my read, as I found no errors of any kind, the book was perfectly edited, and I had no reason to dislike the book. For these reasons, I gave it 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy thought-provoking sci-fi blended with historical intrigue, spanning ethical dilemmas and human resilience.

Sent to Watch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amanda Kenneth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-kenneth.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Amanda Kenneth »

"Sent to Watch" by David J. Lebenstein blends science fiction and historical fiction, exploring the surveillance of Earth 48 by the Interplanetary Intelligence Service. Major Weatherby and Lieutenant Greenhill navigate integrating Earth 48 into the Confederation of Civilized Planets.
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Julius Peters »

"Sent to Watch" masterfully bridges the gap between science fiction and historical fiction, creating a unique narrative that explores both the vastness of interstellar intrigue and the intimate struggles of life in post-Napoleonic America. David J. Lebenstein’s meticulous attention to detail and exceptional character development make this novel not only a compelling read but also a profound reflection on human nature and our place in the universe. The seamless integration of high-tech alien societies with Earth's historical backdrop invites readers to ponder the complexities of cultural integration and ethical responsibilities, making it a standout in the genre.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”