Review of Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: A Christian Life.....Connected by Jacksel

Review of Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life" by Jim Santos.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life penned by Jim Santos chronicles the journey of expatriates living abroad, exploring the realities and challenges of relocating to another country. It begins by debunking myths surrounding expatriation, emphasizing that while it's possible to obtain residency elsewhere, it may not suit everyone. The narrative delves into personal experiences, including culture shock and adjustment phases, detailing strategies for coping with language barriers and cultural differences.

As the story unfolds, it delves into various aspects of life in Ecuador, from the affordability of living expenses to experiences with the healthcare system. The authors reflect on their encounters with natural disasters, highlighting moments of resilience and community support. Throughout their journey, they navigate cultural nuances and societal norms, offering insights into the complexities of expatriate life.

I really appreciate how this book provides a candid and authentic portrayal of expatriate life. The author shares their personal experiences, including the challenges they faced, such as culture shock and navigating the healthcare system.

I like the attention to detail in depicting everyday life in a foreign country. From discussing the affordability of living expenses to exploring cultural nuances, the book offers a rich and immersive experience for readers. I appreciate how the book encourages readers to reflect on their own perceptions and assumptions about expatriation.

I have not found any aspects of this book that I dislike. It appears to be exceptionally well-edited, with no errors detected. However, it's important to note that this book does contain profanity.

I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars for several reasons. Firstly, its candid portrayal of expatriate life offers valuable insights and perspectives for readers interested in or considering living abroad. Secondly, the book's exploration of cultural differences and societal norms enriches the reader's understanding of diverse cultures and fosters a sense of empathy and appreciation for cultural diversity. Whether it's discussing the nuances of language barriers or reflecting on the impact of natural disasters, the book offers a nuanced and insightful perspective on the expatriate experience. Lastly, the book's thematic depth and thought-provoking reflections make it a compelling read for a wide audience. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in travel, cultural exploration, or the expatriate experience.

Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: A Christian Life.....Connected by Jacksel

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

Nice review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”