Review of Not Dead Yet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Re: Review of Not Dead Yet

Post by Rajaee »

I have once visited an old age home when I was kid. Up until that visit, I too though the same as you, that their life in there must be boring. But that day, I was proven wrong. When I spent some time with the elderly there, I realized that they have found peace and happiness in that situation. Everybody was like a family there. They sang together, they joked together, they ate together, etc. I still remember, seeing all that, I cursed their children for abandoning them and putting them there. And I wished if I could take them home and show them the kind of love their children couldn't.
Anyway, this will be an emotional read for me for sure. Thanks for the review. Good finding.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Nursing homes are full of PEOPLE. If more of us realized that they still have valuable experiences to offer despite their need for specialized care, we would learn so much. It’s hard to visit admittedly, but the benefits are well worth the effort. Thanks!
Jones Mwaniki
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jones-mwaniki.html
Latest Review: It's None of Your Business by Jordan K. Michaels
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 300%

Post by Jones Mwaniki »

I can already tell this is going to be an emotional read. I mean, the mention of nursing homes and old people should be enough of a clue. But I like what the reviewer mentioned, that there are stories of hope included. I might be wrong, but I feel reminded of the TV sitcom, "The Golden Girls." But I believe with the focus on important issues that face the elderly. That's what I'm seeing a reader will get in this book.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Silo 42: Deception by Zev Paiss
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 660%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thanks for your great review, Tomy! I find difficult to read about such topics. Through your review, I believe the book is worth reading.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

This seems different kind of experience book, like how the elders feels at hospital or retired homes, when they away from their young age yet they try to connect with their young minds.
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

This heartfelt review of the nursing home story portrays the elderly with depth and humanity, challenging stereotypes. Each character's narrative offers poignant insights, especially Douglas's revelation of his true self and Alexander's poignant connection through music. The book's message to appreciate elders' richness of life resonates deeply, despite a wish for more closure in some character arcs. Overall, it's praised for its touching narratives and valuable life lessons, earning a perfect score of 5 out of 5.
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Kybalion
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

One of the greatest fears, other than death, is aging.
The last place any human one to be is at a dead-end place, living in a zombie-like state, without any choices.
No one knows what the future holds, and this mystery is beautiful.
This nursing home in this book sounds like what a nursing home is actually meant to be, a place for people with similar life experiences to connect.
The stories of the different characters and their challenges at their age make one realize that we are all human, despite age, and the importance of making the best of our lives until the end of time.
Alexandra's use of songs to connect to people as a memory. I find it beyond beautiful . Music is a great source of connection.
Congratulations to the author!
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”