Review of First Survivor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Osakwe Emmanuel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Review of First Survivor

Post by Osakwe Emmanuel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "First Survivor" by Mark Unger.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Many people characterise life as a journey with many obstacles, and most of the time, these problems come as a surprise to us and leave us perplexed. We have recourse to prayer and trust in God, the final author and finisher of our faith, during these times. In his book "First Survivor," Mark Unger describes the difficult path that the Unger family took in order to deal with a difficult circumstance with their son Louis.

One day prior to Thanksgiving in 2001, the story begins. The news breaks Mary Ellen and Mark's hearts as they drive their 3-year-old son to the hospital. The rare Legg-Calve-Perthes disease was the first diagnosis. Louis, the parents' son, accepts everything as it comes, while his parents experience a roller coaster of emotions. Mark researched each diagnosis and kept a notebook for each one. Louis's parents are informed that there is a chance of death in the event that the cancer returns. Does Louis make it through? To find out the conclusion, read the book.

The remarkable advances in medicine and other fields that our planet has seen over the last 20 years are also highlighted in this book, which I appreciated. This book offers insight into one of the most significant scientific medical discoveries of the last 20 years, one that seemed to happen practically by accident—or at the very least, to accelerate into existence—for those with a specific interest in medicine. It demonstrates how common people and grassroots initiatives can lead to significant advancements and remarkable. By describing the protagonist's actions and reactions during his journey, the author also does a fantastic job of conveying to the reader the thoughts of a small child battling a disease. Acts speak louder than words, particularly when it comes to a child who lacks the vocabulary to properly express himself or who isn't even completely aware of the extent of their illness. However, I was able to fully comprehend the protagonist's experiences. 

The highs and lows that life may bring are exemplified by First Survivor. Reading this book taught me a lot of facts about topics I never knew I was interested in, which is why I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars, as there was nothing I hated. For those who choose to read it, this is an excellent book that is both inspirational and instructional, and I would recommend it to families in similar situations. I thought the photos that came with the book were pretty great. It gave the topic more depth and made it more relatable. I didn't come across errors; it was edited well. 

First Survivor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
David Samanthaa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-samanthaa.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by David Samanthaa »

The resilience of three-year-old Louis Unger in First Survivor is truly remarkable. Mark Unger's depiction of his son's battle with neuroblastoma is both heart-wrenching and uplifting

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”