Review of First Survivor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rachhyatt612
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachhyatt612.html
Latest Review: Why God Allows Evil and Suffering by Sine Nomine
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review of First Survivor

Post by rachhyatt612 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "First Survivor" by Mark Unger.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

First Survivor by Mark Unger tells the story of Louis Unger’s battle with cancer as a toddler. After being given a zero chance of survival, the child in turn becomes the first child to survive this fatal diagnosis of neuroblastoma! Mark Unger, Louis’s father, describes in detail the family’s journey through his son’s diagnosis from start to finish by keeping a journal as he shares entries with the reader. The story also includes some of the hardships the family faces with their older son, Harry. Harry emotionally struggled with the overwhelming attention that they were showing Louis. He simply craved a normal life with both his brother and parents at home. As a parent of a 2-year-old myself, I cannot imagine the journey this family took. I felt so much of my heartstrings being pulled apart reading this, thinking of how my family and I would feel if this happened to our child. The strength that this family showed during their journey was very inspiring!

I would give this book five out of five stars. First Survivor takes the reader on a heartbreaking roller coaster with Mark and Mary Ellen Unger. With every interaction they have with the doctors, you feel like you are right there with them, experiencing every emotion they have. As a parent, I could really relate to this. The author does an excellent job explaining the doctors’ terminology in a way the reader can understand. Although I did feel the book was overwhelmed with medical terminology, which I felt was a little repetitive, I did, however, enjoy the background he shared with all the research he conducted on doctors and treatments. Unger captured almost every detail of Louis’s journey with cancer over several years in an easy-to-read, emotional book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about this family’s journey. Thank you.

First Survivor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Enjani Matendeko
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

I don't know the best word to use to describe Louis. But he's a child worth writing a story about. He survived very serious cancer attacks that could have easily cost him his life. However, he survived. That was really amazing.
David Samanthaa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-samanthaa.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by David Samanthaa »

Mark Unger’s First Survivor captures the incredible spirit of his son Louis, who defied a terminal diagnosis. This book is a powerful tribute to Louis's bravery and perseverance

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”