Review of First Survivor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beverly Lee 1
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beverly-lee-1.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Review of First Survivor

Post by Beverly Lee 1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "First Survivor" by Mark Unger.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The book, "First Survivor", by Mark Unger, is filled with a myriad of emotions. I rated the book four out of four because it was well-written, with minimal errors, and draws the reader into the story from the beginning to the end.

The author is the Father of the child this book is written about. He is transparent about the rollercoaster of emotions that he, his wife, and his son Harry endured as they navigated the abyss of his son Louis' devastating diagnosis and the medical journey that followed. He is openly raw in his description of the fear, the disbelief, and the unspeakable pain he and his wife dealt with daily. His description of the love and commitment his two boys have for each other is so beautiful. He is very detailed in the medical terms he was forced to learn and understand as he and his wife committed to fighting for their son's life. They became patient advocates for Louis at a time when that was not common practice for doctors to embrace. As the author explains, doctors were unaccustomed to being questioned by their patients or their families. Doctors also did not freely share information with family members. Mark and Mary Ellen Unger were pioneers in helping to develop patient advocacy, all because they advocated for their son.

The child, Louis, was only three years old when he received his diagnosis. His resilience, sense of humor, and cooperation with his medical staff were nothing short of miraculous. The reader will fall in love with his sweetness and be in awe of his bravery in the face of horrendous procedures and pain. His drawings and letters, shared by his father, are so precious.

The author included his meticulous notes, which, as he said, kept him focused and able to function in a situation that would probably stop most of us in our tracks.

The book is well worth your time to read, and if I had to say one negative thing about it, I would say, "The title gives away the ending." Although I probably wouldn't have made it through the first chapter, if I hadn't read the title.

First Survivor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
David Samanthaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-samanthaa.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by David Samanthaa »

The story of three-year-old Louis in First Survivor is a profound reminder of the power of hope and determination. Mark Unger’s heartfelt narration makes it an unforgettable book
Stacy K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacy-k.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti

Post by Stacy K »

Thank you for this insightful review. I also read this book and loved it. I was constantly amazed at Louis' strength and positivity. At times I think he was even stronger than his parents. This was such an inspirational story. I also felt the roller coaster of emotions as I read it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”