Review of First Survivor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
_Rhea Jacob
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of First Survivor

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

[Following is a volunteer review of "First Survivor" by Mark Unger.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

One morning, towards the end of August 2001, Mary Ellen noticed that her youngest son, three-year-old Louis, had suddenly begun walking strangely and had become unusually quiet. After several visits to the doctors and undertaking multiple tests, it was found that little Louis had cancer, namely, stage four neuroblastoma, which at that time had a 25–30% survival rate. After hearing the devasting news, their lives turn upside down as they rush to get treatments for him. Read the book First Survivor to find out about what happens to Louis.

One of the things that I liked about the book was that the author gave loads of information regarding the treatments given to Louis. The treatments and the medications were explained in a very simple and easy-to-understand manner. I learned a lot of new terms and gained considerable knowledge regarding neuroblastoma, which I am very thankful for. I liked the fact that the book included several quotes by the family on what they were feeling and thinking during tough times. I was very impressed that the family did their best to stick together and work as a team. They all played important roles in helping and supporting Louis as much as possible. While reading the book, I could feel the intensity of the author’s as well as his family’s fear, anxiety, and concern for Louis.

I didn’t find anything I disliked in the book. I loved reading it.

I believe the book was professionally edited, as I didn’t find any typos. I would rate the book 5 out of 5 stars for the reasons given above. Overall, it was a wonderful book, and I was on the edge of my seat reading about Louis and his family’s struggles. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to gain some knowledge about cancer and what their families go through.

First Survivor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

This book sounds like quite an emotional read. I am sure it will help families going through cancer.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
David Samanthaa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-samanthaa.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by David Samanthaa »

Mark Unger’s First Survivor offers a powerful narrative of hope and resilience. Louis's journey from a hopeless prognosis to becoming the first child to beat neuroblastoma is truly awe-inspiring

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”