Review of The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Robert Cortes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-cortes.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of The Reel Sisters

Post by Robert Cortes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings is a captivating book about five sisters who bond over their shared passion for outdoor recreation, specifically fly fishing. The sisters—Rose, Sophie, Amanda, Veronica, and Melody—come from different backgrounds and face various challenges in their lives, but their love for fly fishing brings them together as equals. Each sister grapples with personal demons, whether professionally or in their marriages, and looks forward to fly-fishing trips as a means of escape and tension release. The book explores how this sisterhood meets the emotional needs of its members and satisfies their adventurous spirits. It delves into their friendship journey and leaves readers curious about what lies ahead for them.

I commend the creativity behind this book, which is both thrilling and impactful, especially for female readers. It serves as a reminder to step out of the societal limitations imposed on women. The five sisters challenge these stereotypes by engaging in traditionally male-dominated activities, showing that women can break boundaries with belief, planning, joint efforts, and companionship. Each sister demonstrates that most women have elements of a male mindset within them, and breaking free from societal beliefs is the key to embracing this reality. For instance, Sophie's encounter with Rose in a fly shop sparks her fascination with fly fishing and leads her to join the sisterhood. Similarly, Veronica is drawn to the joy radiating from Sophie during a fly-fishing trip and becomes part of the group.

I love the style in which the content is written, which allows thorough immersion in the heart and mind of each major character so that readers get a first-hand experience of their individual worlds and struggles. This quality stems from the fact that the book is written from the first-person perspective of each sister.

I don't have anything objective to dislike about this book, and it is exceptionally well edited because I found no grammar errors in it. So I'll rate the book 5 out of 5 stars.

This book is particularly aimed at female audiences, who may feel pressured by societal norms dictating which activities they can participate in, limiting their sense of meaning and freedom in life. It serves as a resource for those new to fly fishing, offering basic rules and insights into the sport.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

This book is more than just fishing; it's about defying expectations. These women shatter stereotypes, proving that fly-fishing isn't just for men. Their journey inspires - with belief and teamwork, anything is possible!

The writing is captivating. We experience each sister's world and emotions firsthand, feeling their challenges and triumphs.
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Sunday N Florence »

The book highlights the women's defiance of societal norms by participating in a male-dominated sport, emphasizing that women can break boundaries with confidence and teamwork. Their friendship is sparked by shared experiences and grows stronger through their adventures, exemplifying the power of sisterhood and mutual support.
Sinachi Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinachi-azuka.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sinachi Azuka »

I can't wait to read this. I'm glad to be reading your opinion about this book. I haven't practiced fly fishing but it looks fun from the summary added. The book speaks about sisterly bonding.
obinna Sharon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna-sharon.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by obinna Sharon »

The book cover is totally off with the plot of the book. However the plot of the book is great and unique. Welldone on this fantastic review.
Ivan Kovic
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-kovic.html
Latest Review: The Truth Is Beyond Belief! by Jerry Durr

Post by Ivan Kovic »

The idea of women finding solace and comfort in nature is something that's always inspiring to read about. The book seems like it will be a great reminder to like the beauty of the natural world around us and to take care of it.
Joy Stanley
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-stanley.html
Latest Review: Young Americans by Peter S. Rush

Post by Joy Stanley »

Women don’t easily bond but when they do they bond well and make sure that everyone is alright. I can’t wait to learn about fly fishing
Goodness Kene
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-kene.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Kene »

I wish there were real bonds like this in real life when it comes to females. Nice review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”