Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wilfred Patrick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilfred-patrick.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking: A Bold Idea, a Business Adventure and 101 Lessons Learned Along the Way by Atul Vir

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Wilfred Patrick »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe tells the story of two siblings' trip to California: Mary Grace and her younger brother Donny. Despite having Down syndrome, Donny is fortunate to not have experienced it since birth. Despite the fact that most of this novel is fiction, the author claims that some elements are based on actual events because she had a brother who also had Down syndrome. With their parents, who lavished them with love and care, Mary Grace and her brother Donny led happy lives. As it happens, their parents were sent as missionaries to Africa for a two-year stay; their father is a priest. 

The book described how a boy who simply wanted to fit in at school became the focus of a bully. Mary Grace solved the riddle of her bully alongside the Grandma gang, which included her grandma and her grandmother's pals. Through the help of her detective mind, Mary Grace was able to reveal the face of her bully and even helped to convince her teachers and principal not to punish the bully according to the school principles but rather punish Justin the bully in a way that he'd grow and learn from it, which in the end worked out well and made Justin a better person and an even better friend to Donny. This book had perfect editing because I didn't notice any errors while reading it. 

I particularly liked the little pictures that were sporadically interspersed throughout the text. Catherine Anna Pepe deserves praise for her children's book. This book has no parts that I didn't like. It was really impressive.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 because it gives a very good reason to be a good person. The only reason I removed a star is because of the font size; in my opinion, it seems too tiny for kids.I recommend this book to every child in high school. 

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gerrard Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerrard-mark.html
Latest Review: The Abalone Ukulele by R. L. Crossland

Post by Gerrard Mark »

Thos book give a great lesson on dealing with kids living with Down syndrome. Nice review.
Gerrard Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerrard-mark.html
Latest Review: The Abalone Ukulele by R. L. Crossland

Post by Gerrard Mark »

Thos book give a great lesson on dealing with kids living with Down syndrome. Nice review.
nora baldwin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nora-baldwin.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by nora baldwin »

This book has a very good story line. As someone gjat was bullied as a child I feel this book is great and people who have kids experiencing any form of bullying should read this book.
kordula elfriede m
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kordula-elfriede-m.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by kordula elfriede m »

The rate of bullying right now in American schools is something else. It's getting really worst. People really need to read this book. Anybody struggling with any form of bullying. Great review by the way.
Bettina B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettina-b.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Bettina B »

I really feel the next generation need this book. So that their minds will be open and know what happend to bullies. And why they need to be better persons of them serves. I'm impressed
Gloria Ari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloria-ari.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Gloria Ari »

The pictures in this book was something that I really enjoyed. Bullies are a bad thing. And I feel this should serve as a lesson to all pedophiles. Great reviews are hard to get.
Alex Ariz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-ariz.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Alex Ariz »

"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe is a really great story about two siblings and how they fought against bullying. It's a very good story and I like your review.
Jonathan Ken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonathan-ken.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jonathan Ken »

This book will.reveal what happened when a family travelled and left their two kids alone. More like " home alone read to find out how they navigated and survived bullying.
Benson Ken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benson-ken.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Benson Ken »

Bullies and a reflection of their parents. Their parents may get things done only when they use force. Hence they tend to feel that's the best way of life. You choice of writeup in this review is very impressive.
Stephanie Walker 11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-walker-11.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Stephanie Walker 11 »

This book remind me of growing up and how I used to get pick at till I fought off my bullies. It was a very good book and it brought me great memories. Your review explains the book greatly.
Larry Jade
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larry-jade.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Larry Jade »

Great book. I feel thus book deserves to be seen by every high school students. It will open theirs eyes to the ills of bully and making fun of the disabled in our society. The review was up to par.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”